Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,871,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What about first chances?
The gospel is given to those that seek Him.

Reread the OP and you will see that those that go into the pit, do not seek Him at all.

Since God has made the promise that all those that seek, shall find, then His word will be carried out in the land of the living now that Christ has arisen and ascended to the right hand of God the Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
The gospel is given to those that seek Him.
Let me ask you something. How likely do you believe it is that you would be a Christian today if you had been born in Iraq, had been raised by devout Muslim parents, had been educated in state run schools where the only information you were ever given about Christianity was horribly skewed, and had never left the country? I'll be very disappointed if you say anything other than that you'd probably be a practicing Muslim today, for the simple reason that I would like to assume you're not so naive as to believe otherwise. If you do say that you'd almost certainly be a Christian, here's another scenario for you. What religion do you think you'd be had you been born in China in the 2nd century, hundreds of years prior to Christianity ever having reached that country? Do you seriously believe that God condemns His own children to an eternity in Hell for having had the misfortune to have been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place? Please tell me that's not the kind of God you think He is.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Let me ask you something. How likely do you believe it is that you would be a Christian today if you had been born in Iraq, had been raised by devout Muslim parents, had been educated in state run schools where the only information you were ever given about Christianity was horribly skewed, and had never left the country? I'll be very disappointed if you say anything other than that you'd probably be a practicing Muslim today, for the simple reason that I would like to assume you're not so naive as to believe otherwise. If you do say that you'd almost certainly be a Christian, here's another scenario for you. What religion do you think you'd be had you been born in China in the 2nd century, hundreds of years prior to Christianity ever having reached that country? Do you seriously believe that God condemns His own children to an eternity in Hell for having had the misfortune to have been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place? Please tell me that's not the kind of God you think He is.
Apparently, you are not familiar with the latest news hitting Islamic countries. Jesus has been revealing Himself to muslims in dreams, making converts in an otherwise impossible evangelistically reaching country.

Let's look at the Bible for another example.

Acts 16: 6Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, 7After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. 8And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. 9And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. 10And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

So what had happened here? God knows whom are seeking Him from those that are not. Jesus gave this instruction in this wise, showing the promise of His ministry.

Matthew 7: 6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. 7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Remembered what had happened to the Ethiopian eunuch? God sent Phillip to him to answer his questions. Then afterwards Phillip was whisked away by the Spirit of the Lord.

Acts 8:26-40 - Passage*Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Now since God has been transporting His witnesses, and He knows whom are seeking Him from those that are not: can you really say He would not provide that person to preach the Gospel even to the realm of the Western Hemisphere or to the farthest reaches of the globe?

Isaiah 55:10For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: 11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

I believe God meant what He has said in regards to whom seeks Him from those that seek Him not. Do you?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
Apparently, you are not familiar with the latest news hitting Islamic countries. Jesus has been revealing Himself to muslims in dreams, making converts in an otherwise impossible evangelistically reaching country.

Let's look at the Bible for another example.

Acts 16: 6Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, 7After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. 8And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. 9And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. 10And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

So what had happened here? God knows whom are seeking Him from those that are not. Jesus gave this instruction in this wise, showing the promise of His ministry.

Matthew 7: 6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. 7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Remembered what had happened to the Ethiopian eunuch? God sent Phillip to him to answer his questions. Then afterwards Phillip was whisked away by the Spirit of the Lord.

Acts 8:26-40 - Passage*Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Now since God has been transporting His witnesses, and He knows whom are seeking Him from those that are not: can you really say He would not provide that person to preach the Gospel even to the realm of the Western Hemisphere or to the farthest reaches of the globe?

Isaiah 55:10For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: 11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
All that, and yet not a direct answer to the two questions I asked.

Quote:
I believe God meant what He has said in regards to whom seeks Him from those that seek Him not. Do you?
I do, but I'm pretty sure I see it as happening in an entirely different way than you do.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:

So, what happened here?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,449,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No it is not rude, it is what needs to be said. You would have probably called Jesus rude for the way he talked to the pharasees.

Frankly I just call it like I see it and I certainly am not going to look towards you for advise on how to conduct myself.
One word of advice if you will, take it with a grain of salt if you must. In all of your "calling it like you see it"......it would be wise to remember that you too will stand before Him, when HE'S CALLING IT LIKE HE SEE'S IT, amen?

Bless you.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
All that, and yet not a direct answer to the two questions I asked.
Let's see how my general response did not answer your two questions.

Quote:
Let me ask you something. How likely do you believe it is that you would be a Christian today if you had been born in Iraq, had been raised by devout Muslim parents, had been educated in state run schools where the only information you were ever given about Christianity was horribly skewed, and had never left the country? I'll be very disappointed if you say anything other than that you'd probably be a practicing Muslim today, for the simple reason that I would like to assume you're not so naive as to believe otherwise.
Seems like I was explaining why I would be so naive that I would be a christian today if born in Iraq.

Quote:
If you do say that you'd almost certainly be a Christian, here's another scenario for you. What religion do you think you'd be had you been born in China in the 2nd century, hundreds of years prior to Christianity ever having reached that country? Do you seriously believe that God condemns His own children to an eternity in Hell for having had the misfortune to have been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place? Please tell me that's not the kind of God you think He is.
You mean to tell me that after seeing the vast complexities of creation from the galactic to the mircroscopic, God cannot be so mindful of man that He would not care for him as He would the sparrow?

Remember the wise men from the East? Taken into account that on the Day of Pentecost, devout Jews from every nation on the earth was hearing the Gospel in their native country's language: it stands to reason that the wise men of the East were Jews or knowledgeable of Judaism and the Bible in prophecies.

Taken that into account in how those that have gone before Christ came were held in captive in captivity in Abraham's bosom a.k.a. Paradise for having faith and hope in the Promised Seed as described in Hebrews 11th chapter, then God would make sure that those that sought Him would receive the hope and faith of that Promised Seed in other parts of the world so that they, too, would be held in Abraham's bosom till Christ came to preach to them in that prison.

Quote:
I do, but I'm pretty sure I see it as happening in an entirely different way than you do.
Do you see this as happening because your view is that the emphasis is on man to do God's work instead of on God to do God's work? You do not see that man's turn from being under the law is now over, and it is God's turn to come to man's rescue? If this being your stance, I fail to see why man would praise God for anything in Heaven.

John 3: 16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 6: 44No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

All conversion including the sowing of hope in the coming Promised seed before Christ came has been wrought by God the Father.

This is why not everyone believes in the Good News when they heard it because not everyone wants to come to the light to have their evil deeds be reproved.... and God knows this.

Matthew 11: 25At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

God is at work: man would best acknowledge what He has done and walk humbly before their God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
So, what happened here?
Not sure what you mean, but if you are implying to the lack of evidence of God ministering in the forum, you & I cannot see everything. Someone in passing could have been converted or edified in the knowledge of Him that their love may be abounding yet more and more without ever posting in saying so.

If you are referring the question to something else, you may have to explain further.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,142,195 times
The premise of the OP & title is wrong.

Salvation is not up to "chance". Not a first chance or a second chance or any chance. God doesn't leave things to chance. He already knows everything. God is smart.

Salvation is up to God. Most people cannot accept this though...

Old 09-03-2010, 07:43 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,368,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The premise of the OP & title is wrong.

Salvation is not up to "chance". Not a first chance or a second chance or any chance. God doesn't leave things to chance. He already knows everything. God is smart.

Salvation is up to God. Most people cannot accept this though...
Legoman, yes indeed.

On a side note, speaking about chance, thats another reason I've always been amused by the term 'age of accountability'. I guess most ET'ers would say that is the age of 16 give or take a year.

A day before someone's 16th birthday, they die and go to heaven. But if they die the day after their 16th....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity