Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Stop with the rabbinical debating society scripture quoting. This is why the religious are taken so lightly in secular protestant lands. One million mini-popes with one million different interpretations. The glaring weakness of sola scriptura is that you can spin this any way you like, take things out of context and manipulate scripture to support your belief rather the true faith. There is no support anywhere for Sola Scriptura so why even engage such a heretical practice.
You don't think presenting a false reading of Scripture as truth is heretical?

Quote:
The Catholic Church is not bureaucracy; the Church it is the people.. One billion members and by Gods grace we have continued for 2,000 years.
So has the Orthodox Church. But OH....that's right, you guys haven't resolved your differences with them yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default you cut out the best part separated brethren

There is only one passage in the New Testament where Jesus clearly gives authority to another: Matt 16:13-19. In this passage, Jesus asks who the disciples think he is, and they all give different answers. He then asks Peter, who says,

Quote:
“You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.” Jesus replies,

"Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
God revealed to Peter alone a truth of the faith, the true identity of Christ, when the others were confused and divided. That is the seed of Papal infallibility in scripture.

The Faith of the Catholic Church today is the faith of the early Church, is the faith of Jesus, is the faith of the bible - explained and interpreted correctly. The mass, too, is the mass of the early Church.

God did not only act in distant history, and leave us only a book to follow, with only fallible men to try to figure out what the book really means – and so fail at what the book asks us to do, because we can’t agree on the meaning. Infallibility is the lynchpin of authority and interpretation, and of unity, without which the former would be meaningless and the latter would fall apart. All are a work of the Holy Spirit, all are God working directly in His Church to infallibly teach us, guide us, and keep us united as one. He’s been doing it all along in the Catholic Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Again, at the risk of incurring a penalty by the moderating staff:

How are you any better when you can't even accurately read the words which are so clearly written in Matthew 16? Here, let me help you out with a paraphrase that maybe you can understand:

Jesus, speaking to his disciples: When you're in town, and you hear people talking about me, who do they say I am?

The disciples respond: Well, we've heard some people say you're John the Baptist, and others seem to think you're Elijah. There are even some who say you're Jeremiah or one of the other prophets of years past.

Jesus: Uh huh. Interesting. But now let me ask YOU. Who do YOU guys say I am?

Peter responds: Why, you're the Messiah - the son of God.

Now do you understand the flow of the conversation?

Instead, you're presenting your OWN false reading of Scripture as if it's true. So you have no right to question what Protestants believe when you yourself can't even accurately present a Bible verse. So why can't you, as someone who professes to belong to the only church that can properly interpret Scripture, not understand what is clearly written there?

Oh, that's right...Protestants are all ignorant fools who don't know anything about the faith....despite the fact that the Catechism refers to us as "brothers in the faith". Yeah, I actually do know what the RCC teaches about us. Too bad you guys, who profess to adhere to Catholic teachings, aren't as charitable.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
The truth never changes no matter what season and what the trends of the times say. Authority lies in Gods word. Not in the trends of today.
Apparently you did not read my post or did not understand it. I am not talking about trends . . . I am talking about the spiritual maturity of our species . . . which changes with each generation. Use my test of watching old silent movies that were SUPPOSED to be serious and dramatic. Our "mature" predecessors actually did react to them as serious and dramatic movies. I guarantee your reaction will not be the same. Cognitive development evolves and our ancient ancestors were "fed milk . . . not solid food" for a reason!! Continuing to drink only their "milk" as an adult species is not what we were intended to do.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
While human interpretations of the truth are changing to include moral wrongs like contraception and abortion the Church remains firm in the truth. It was Jesus' Church that stood up for the rights of the the unborn while other churches gave in to the times and let a "civil right" walk all over a moral wrong. Time proved the Church right. Contraception and abortion has taken the vitality out of western society. Lowered the birthrate below replacement levels and devalued sex into a means to produce pleasurable muscle spasms rather than its true meaning as a creative expression of reproduction in a committed marriage. We paid the price-especially the poor- for this moral wrong by increased divorce and illegitimacy rates rising through the roof. We are all paying for the breach of the moral law. A moral breach endorsed by sola scriptura Protestants and their "creative interpretations".

The truth never changes no matter what season and what the trends of the times say. Authority lies in Gods word. Not in the trends of today.
You're not kidding. Which is the shocking thing here. If I were a Catholic, I think I'd just shut my mouth about sex all together. To say that God did not make sex pleasurable for our pleasure is truly a disgrace.
The Catholic church, just like the radical Islamics have always tried to cover the woman from head to toe as if her very form/appearance was shameful. It's such a farce! The woman will have her rightful place of honor in history.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
You're not kidding. Which is the shocking thing here. If I were a Catholic, I think I'd just shut my mouth about sex all together. To say that God did not make sex pleasurable for our pleasure is truly a disgrace.
The Catholic church, just like the radical Islamics have always tried to cover the woman from head to toe as if her very form/appearance was shameful. It's such a farce! The woman will have her rightful place of honor in history.
She already has Heartsong...why do you think "the invisible church" that righteous men ( in their own eyes) claim to be them......is called "The Bride". The adversary would always try to wipe out the memory of women's goodness in the book of life (but of course he won't succeed). Revelation 22:17

Peace!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default not good for women

It is ironic that the feminist movement and sexual revolution was supposed to make women more free and happy – but instead has made so many women so miserable, with vastly increased divorce, health problems, abortions and out of wedlock births, and the inability of so many to even marry in the first place, because the men aren’t interested. And women and girls are now more sexualized and objectified than ever before in history. Pope Paul VI wrote about this too – in Humanae Vitae, rejected by much of the Catholic world. And now we are paying for it. Every single thing he warned about has come true now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity