Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM

604 posts, read 751,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Want your input about a situation that happened this morning.

I live in a neighborhood in which there are some Hispanic families...one family lives right behind me, another lives a couple of doors up from me, and there are several others. Obviously, the members of these families speak Spanish. This morning there were two Hispanic men who knocked on my door and asked, in very good English, if I knew if there was anyone in the neighborhood who spoke Spanish.

I said "I don't know". Obviously that was a lie, because I do know.

The men thanked me, then walked across the street and asked my neighbor. He walked outside, proceeded to go out onto the street and pointed out the homes of my Hispanic neighbors.

The reason I lied to the men is simply because I had no idea who in the world they were. (I suppose in hindsight I could have asked them before giving an answer, but I didn't think about that at the time.) The men were nicely dressed and carrying briefcases. They could have been Mormons, but I doubt it because Mormons usually wear white shirts while out proselytizing. Maybe they were Jehovah's Witnesses, I don't know. But the thing is, why would they ask if there was anyone in the neighborhood who spoke Spanish? Do Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses have members who specifically seek out Spanish-speaking people while proselytizing?

So what do you think? Was it a good thing for me to lie to those men? My general thinking at the time was that I didn't want to possibly endanger the lives of my Spanish-speaking neighbors. Who knows what those two men may have been up to. They could have been looking for someone specific in order to carry out some sort of vendetta, for all I know. I wouldn't have felt right leading them to their victim.

What would you have done?

None of us are perfect, I bet a lot of people would've said I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Oh good grief, what is the big deal? You did the right thing, your other neighbor did not. This world is too wicked to trust ANYONE who comes knocking at your door. The only thing I would have done differently is to not answer the door!
Exactly! Now what if..... what if they were shady characters and you did in fact direct them to your neighbours? Then you would be feeling much worse about your decision. You see, unfortunately we live in a world where we have to think of worst case scnerios and err on the side of safety with strangers. I believe in God's eyes you did absolutely no wrong.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You guys are hilarious.

Lol. Thank you, although I'm really not brave enough to do it. I always try to be so polite in "real life."

(Well, this is a thread about lies, so............maybe the mat is a step in the right direction.)

Last edited by herefornow; 09-15-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Maybe you can't remember, but if you can, I'd be curious to know how the conversation went. For starters, LDS missionaries ALWAYS travel in twos. A lone Mormon missionary is so against all the rules that it's not even funny. Also, the question he asked (about your neighbors) doesn't seem quite like something Mormon missionaries would ask. I'd tend to be suspicious about it being a Mormon missionary.
That's just the point -- in afterthought, I don't think he was a Mormon.

All I remember about the incident was that I was busy, already at the door, painting the threshold or the door, and he rode his bike up my driveway. He was dressed in the usual white shirt and black slacks. I don't remember what he said initially, but I was nice to him -- it's just that I was busy. Since I was nice, he assumed more than I was willing to give. However, because I didn't turn and really look at him, I realized afterward that I didn't look for a "elder" badge, so I don't know if he had one on -- but anyone can fake one of those! I do remember he was wearing a bike helmet.

But this is the problem! Anyone can fake anything! Anyone can pull together the outfit. Anyone can come up with a story.

For example, I could easily put on one of my suits, grab one of my attache cases, put together a presentation book, then go out and "sell" whatever, from brushes to religion. People would probably at least let me stand on their porch, where I could easily survey their front room. Less savvy people would let me in, where I could survey their front room and more.

She did the right thing to send these guys off without information, because they could have used it against her or the neighbors. If they were legitimate, they still did the wrong thing.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:

I live in a neighborhood in which there are some Hispanic families...one family lives right behind me, another lives a couple of doors up from me, and there are several others. Obviously, the members of these families speak Spanish. This morning there were two Hispanic men who knocked on my door and asked, in very good English, if I knew if there was anyone in the neighborhood who spoke Spanish.

The men thanked me, then walked across the street and asked my neighbor. He walked outside, proceeded to go out onto the street and pointed out the homes of my Hispanic neighbors.

The reason I lied to the men is simply because I had no idea who in the world they were. (I suppose in hindsight I could have asked them before giving an answer, but I didn't think about that at the time.) The men were nicely dressed and carrying briefcases. They could have been Mormons, but I doubt it because Mormons usually wear white shirts while out proselytizing. Maybe they were Jehovah's Witnesses, I don't know. But the thing is, why would they ask if there was anyone in the neighborhood who spoke Spanish? Do Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses have members who specifically seek out Spanish-speaking people while proselytizing?

So what do you think? Was it a good thing for me to lie to those men? My general thinking at the time was that I didn't want to possibly endanger the lives of my Spanish-speaking neighbors. Who knows what those two men may have been up to. They could have been looking for someone specific in order to carry out some sort of vendetta, for all I know. I wouldn't have felt right leading them to their victim.

Sorry, that is a one way ticket to hell.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
I think you did the right thing. They had no reason to expect you to give them information without telling you what they were up to.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
One should go to a confessional and confess to God. You can absolve these sins in the sacrament of confession. Perhaps something small like this could be wiped away by the Holy Eucharist. Why are you putting your faith in strangers to clear up the guilt in your heart?
Are you serious? How do you get through a day as a human being?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:38 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,782 times
I was talking to my mom about this today, and she thinks I did the right thing. She also told me something I hadn't really thought about, and that's the problem with drug gangs in Mexico that could be looking to recruit Spanish-speaking immigrants in the U.S. who might be willing to join the gang in order to facilitate the drug shipments into parts of the country. Ouch! Of course, I have no idea if my Hispanic neighbors would be involved in that sort of thing, but yeah I'm glad I lied to those guys.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Telling Jehovah's Witnesses to go away accomplishes nothing, really. It does show anyone watching that you're a coward and God doesn't accept cowards. Jehovah's Witnesses are the bravest, kindest people on the earth.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:

I would not have given out any information. You did not know what they wanted. It is a really strange request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity