Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:08 PM

33,263 posts, read 26,470,212 times

Advertisements

There are no prophets today.

In Old Testament times and during the pre-canon period of the church-age there were prophets. With the completion of the New Testament canon around 95 A.D. with the book of Revelation, the gift of prophecy ceased to exist along with a number of other temporary spiritual gifts.

1 Cor. 13:8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away( Prophecy, tongues and knowledge were all miraculous temporary spiritual gifts which had caused a lot of trouble at Corinth). 9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10] But when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11] When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12] For now we see in a mirror dimly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13] But now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

The phrase 'But when the perfect comes' does not refer to the Second advent of Christ. The word 'perfect' is teleion and is in the Neuter gender and refers to a thing rather than a person. It refers to that which has reached its end, i.e. complete. This is in contrast with 'the partial' - merous - a part, share, portion. Merous is also in the neuter gender.

The 'partial' refers to the method of divine revelation which existed before the New Testament Scriptures were completed. God's revelation to man has been progressive in nature and has reached its fullness with the completion of His written word. In previous dispensations God communicated to man through the spoken word (Isa. 6:8-10); dreams (Gen. 15:12; 31:10-13, 24; Num. 12:6; Dan. 10:9); visions (1 Kings 22:19; Isa. 1:1; 6:1); angelic teaching (Deut. 33:2; Psa. 68:17; Acts 7:53; Gal 3:19);. During the pre-canon period of the church-age, these means of divine revelation along with certain temporary spiritual gifts, continued.

But with the completion of the New Testament canon, we now have God's complete message to us and there is no need for prophets any longer. The purpose of the prophet was to reveal a divine message. The Old and New Testament scriptures are the written word of God and in the New Testament scriptures is the completeness of Gods revelation to man for the church-age.

2 Tim. 3:16 All scripture is God-breathed and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 17] That the man of God may be perfect (mature) thoroughy furnished unto all good works. The purpose of the New Testament Scriptures is to bring the believer to the point of spiritual maturity.

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever.

1 Corinthians 13:11 says, 'When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I did away childish things'. This is Pauls leadin to his admonishment to the Corinthians to grow up as recorded in 1 Cor 14:20 'Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be babes, but in your thinking be mature.' In view is the infancy of the church during the pre-canon era when the Scriptures were not yet complete and believers were maturing spiritually as they received the Word of God a bit at a time by means of the temporary gifts and the letters which were being circulated to the local churches - the 'child' which was to be replaced by the 'mature' - the completed Bible.

1 Corinthians 13:12 'For now we see in a mirror dimly (a reference to the pre-canon period of the church-age when there was no completed New Testament canon), but then face to face (reference to the completed New Testament); now I know in part, but then I shall know fully just as I also have been fully known. This continues the contrast between not having the completed canon and the time when the New Testament would be complete. Paul had no reason to assume at this time that he wouldn't be alive to see the completion of the New Testament.

Compare James use of the word 'mirror' with the way that Paul uses it in 1 Cor. 13:12. James 1:22 'But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. 23] For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; 24] for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. 25] But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man shall be blessed in what he does.

Through study and application of the written word - the New Testament Scriptures, under the enabling ministry of God the Holy Spirit so that the doctrines of the written word of God can be understood, and under the teaching ministry of a prepared pastor/teacher, the believer is able to grow spiritually to the point of maturity.

The temporary spiritual gifts which accompanied the pre-canon period of the church-age are no longer necessary in the post-canon period of the church.

For more complete information, I have provided the following resources for those who are interested:

BIBLE STUDY MANUALS: 1 COR 13:1-13, GENUINE LOVE AND SPIRITUAL GIFTS

That Which Is Perfect

Spiritual Gifts - The Temporary Gifts of Healing, Miracles, and Faith

THE TEMPORARY GIFTS

The Holy Spirit and Miraculous Gifts

CHAPTER 9

The Gift of Tongues - Chapter 18

Old 09-18-2010, 05:18 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Riiiight!! The understanding of God and our purpose was designed to stagnate at the "milk" stage for carnal minds! (Well . . . at least all the magical, supernatural prophesy nonsense is behind us.)

Old 09-18-2010, 06:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
I disagree. 1Cor 13:8 refers to the permanency of Love. After everything else has passed away in the world Love is what remains. God's love, not the spiritual gifts. The gifts are there until the end of the world.

In 1Cor 12 the gifts include faith. Did that also pass away?

Phophecy is speaking to the people in the local language by inspiration of the HS. If your pastor is not speaking to the congreation by the leading of the HS on Sunday morning, you need to find another church.

Also, the understanding of the Word by the HS is the Gift of Knowledge. I would hope all of us rely on the HS to teach us as we read the Word.

Too bad you gave us a link that says God does not heal anymore. If you believe that, then you are losing out. God won't heal you unless you believe He can.

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-18-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
The gift of prophecy is not dead, perhaps it is only the faith of those who claim that the gifts of the spirit have past away that is dead.

My father throughout his time as a preacher operated often in the gift of prophecy, and was very much sought after by various churches throughout the U.S. because of it.

The gift of prophecy is not merely seeing visions of the future, it is also having an understanding by the spirit of things concerning other peoples lives that we otherwise should not know.

My father once was moved by the spirit to speak to a group of bikers at a gas station. The spirit told him the mans name to whom he spoke, and the name of another man who was hunting him, who had just been released from prison and was waiting for him in the town they were traveling to. My father had never met the man, he was a complete stranger. The man fell on the ground and began to cry, and thanked my father and chose to turn around and go back the way he came.

I know for a fact that the gift of prophecy is still alive and well among believers, i have personally experienced it first hand on numerous occasions. And i have personally operated in the gift of healing as well ...

Moderator cut: edited

Peace ...

Last edited by june 7th; 09-18-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I disagree. 1Cor 13:8 refers to the permanency of Love. After everything else has passed away in the world Love is what remains. God's love, not the spiritual gifts. The gifts are there until the end of the world.

In 1Cor 12 the gifts include faith. Did that also pass away?

Phophecy is speaking to the people in the local language by inspiration of the HS. If your pastor is not speaking to the congreation by the leading of the HS on Sunday morning, you need to find another church.

Also, the understanding of the Word by the HS is the Gift of Knowledge. I would hope all of us rely on the HS to teach us as we read the Word.

Too bad you gave us a link that says God does not heal anymore. If you believe that, then you are losing out. God won't heal you unless you believe He can.
Yes, Paul was addressing the permanency of love and that it is better then the temporary spiritual gifts.

Don't confuse prophesying with teaching. Prophecy is miraculous knowledge of future events. In the pre-canon era of the church-age, prophecy also was a means of communicating doctrine. But with the completion of the New Testament scriptures, there is no extra-biblical revelation. The highest authority in the local church is that of pastor/teacher. His job is to teach. Not to prophesize. All prophesy is contained in the written word of God. There is no need for prophets in the post-canon era of the church-age.

Ordinary saving faith is not in view. There was a temporary spiritual gift of faith which accompanied the other spiritual gifts. It is explained at this site.

Spiritual Gifts - The Temporary Gifts of Healing, Miracles, and Faith

God certainly can heal. And He may answer a prayer for healing. But he doesn't give the gift of healing to people anymore. Even the Apostles couldn't heal anymore once they were well established. The gift of healing was a calling card for the purpose of gaining the attention of people so that they would listen to the message.

Last edited by Michael Way; 09-18-2010 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Don't confuse prophesying with teaching. Prophecy is miraculous knowledge of future events. The highest authority in the local church is that of pastor/teacher. His job is to teach. Not to prophesize. All prophesy is contained in the written word of God. There is no need for prophets in the post-canon era of the church-age.
Better check with Paul about that, Mike . . . instead of your teachers.
I Corinthians 14:1,

. . . Aim at charity, yet strive after the spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. . . . He who prophesies speaks to men for edification, and encouragement, and consolation.

No mention of predicting the future or divination . . . which is specifically warned against. Your "precepts and doctrines of men" are really screwed up, Mike . . . not a good sign for you.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Better check with Paul about that, Mike . . . instead of your teachers.
I Corinthians 14:1,

. . . Aim at charity, yet strive after the spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. . . . He who prophesies speaks to men for edification, and encouragement, and consolation.

No mention of predicting the future or divination . . . which is specifically warned against. Your "precepts and doctrines of men" are really screwed up, Mike . . . not a good sign for you.
During the pre-canon era of the church-age the temporary spiritual gifts were extant. During that time prior to the completion of the cannon of scripture, the church received knowledge bit by bit through the letters written by the apostles and by prophesy as I mentioned in paragrah 8 of the original post which is copied below.

'1 Corinthians 13:11 says, 'When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I did away childish things'. This is Pauls leadin to his admonishment to the Corinthians to grow up as recorded in 1 Cor 14:20 'Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be babes, but in your thinking be mature.' In view is the infancy of the church during the pre-canon era when the Scriptures were not yet complete and believers were maturing spiritually as they received the Word of God a bit at a time by means of the temporary gifts and the letters which were being circulated to the local churches - the 'child' which was to be replaced by the 'mature' - the completed Bible. '

Once the New Testament canon was closed, there was no more prophecy. There is no extra-biblical revelation from God today.

There is only the teaching ministry of the pastor/teacher who communicates the word of God to his local congregation who, if they are under the filling of the Holy Spirit, learn that doctrine for the purpose of edification and spiritual growth.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
During the pre-canon era of the church-age the temporary spiritual gifts were extant. During that time prior to the completion of the cannon of scripture, the church received knowledge bit by bit through the letters written by the apostles and by prophesy as I mentioned in paragrah 8 of the original post which is copied below.

'1 Corinthians 13:11 says, 'When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I did away childish things'. This is Pauls leadin to his admonishment to the Corinthians to grow up as recorded in 1 Cor 14:20 'Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be babes, but in your thinking be mature.' In view is the infancy of the church during the pre-canon era when the Scriptures were not yet complete and believers were maturing spiritually as they received the Word of God a bit at a time by means of the temporary gifts and the letters which were being circulated to the local churches - the 'child' which was to be replaced by the 'mature' - the completed Bible. '

Once the New Testament canon was closed, there was no more prophecy. There is no extra-biblical revelation from God today.

There is only the teaching ministry of the pastor/teacher who communicates the word of God to his local congregation who, if they are under the filling of the Holy Spirit, learn that doctrine for the purpose of edification and spiritual growth.
Moderator cut: deleted if you want to make believers of the lurkers out there . . . prove your ""dispensational" nonsense by pointing to scripture that expressly mentions "dispensations" . . . it doesn't exist.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-21-2010 at 01:15 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 08:48 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:

Tell that to those of us who have been healed and who have had the spirit heal others through us.

YouTube - Miraculous Healing (This is the Real Thing!)

Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
does this mean I can no longer interpret my own dreams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity