Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The other thing I learned was that when you are dead... you don't get what you wanted. He wanted to be buried... but was cremated due to available funds.

I want to be cremated but I know my husband (if I am first) will bury me.... unless he's broke...

Anyway, I didn't go to the memorial to hear a hellfire speech. I went to honor my FIL. He was a good man, saved or not, who made mistakes just like the rest of us.
Technically I am saved.... I often wonder what that pastor would say at my memorial....
What would the pastor say? Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand you are not a big fan of the church, and do not attend. Therefore the pastors would not know you personally, and will say whatever others tell him about you. You should probably arrange your memorial to be held elsewhere, since you are in strong disagreement with everything that takes place in churches. I want mine to be held in a church, but not all of them are held n churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
What a coward to then go to your husband trying to create division like that.

Good job on standing your ground. I visited the old church I grew up in when i visited my folks, I actually had the opportunity to explain to my parents what I believed and that I believe it only because thats how powerful I believe Christ is. I did not use the typical labels simply because people many times already have in their mind the seed that certain labels are bad, no matter how you try to explain it.

When I visited the church, the sunday school lesson was about salvation, the sunday school teacher read out of the prescribed study guide they always have to use and when he got to one about about hell he told a story about his niece and is not sure about her destiny when she died.

I said, well, and I quoted John 3:16 and he said "I don't know if she believed befor she died" I said "but do you really believe Gods love never fails?" He said "Yes" I said then "if you really believe it, you have your answer"

He went silent and moved on, I thought perhaps he just shrugged it off and didn;t want to deal with what I just said.

However in his closing prayer, he said "Thank you Lord for people with undeniable faith in your love that can bring light on our darkness and doubt"

It always pays to speak our minds whether now or later. Let us continue to shine the light!!
I wish I would have thought of that. I will have to remember that if I ever speak to him in the future. I wish people would see how simple that concept is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity