Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: edit

I have a link here about men that converted from Mormon to Catholicism. I did not post this link to convert anyone to Catholicism, but only to share a prespective of a former Mormon and a cultural Mormon and why they left their faith.

This man went somewhat up the leadership chain in the Mormon Church:
http://ewtn.edgeboss.net/wmedia/ewtn...h_11092009.mp3

Very good info about Mormon beliefs after the first 10 minutes or so:
The Journey Home 10-15-2007

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-08-2010 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: discussing mod action

Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
This may interest you as well.

Mormon Converts - Stories from Former Catholics

Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
This is a link here is a web site for women created by women who converted from Mormonism to Christianity.
They are trying to share "how you can be worthy now" ... the day they found forgiveness.

His Healing Now

You'll read about a 30 yr quest for forgiveness that brings despair. Then they learn of what Christ's blood actually does .... as the Bible truely teaches.

Many women today (even outside of Mormonism) have guilt, shame, feeling unworthy and isloation issues because of their life choices.

This web site is a very powerful witness to the Jesus of the Bible. If you know of a woman who is struggling with feeling unworthy, conditional forgiveness, shame, guilt and seeing Jesus as an example to follow ... it's a must, must read.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I read through a three or four stories, but none, said why, doctrinally the converted.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:35 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I read through a three or four stories, but none, said why, doctrinally the converted.
I could give you some examples that included doctrinal issues. The problem is that when people leave their Church and join another one, their perspective is often not particularly objective. It has to be a difficult process converting to a different Church. Family and friends are left wondering what has come over you (it doesn't matter which church you're leaving and which church you're joining) and you really would feel as if you needed to justify your decision. In so doing, you tend to build up animosity towards your previous faith. It's only natural, but it's unfortunate.

I try to imagine how it would have been if Judas Iscariot had not hanged himself after having sold out his Lord. Suppose he'd just continued to live in the area of Jerusalem as Christianity began to grow. If you were from several hundreds of miles away and came to Jerusalem, amid the growth of this new church, and wanted to learn about the teachings of this man, Jesus, who supposedly healed the sick, made the blind see and even came back to life himself three days after having been crucified, who do you think you would be most likely to give you a true perspective of Christianity? Would it be Peter, James and John? Or Judas?

Suppose you were interested in learning about Judaism today. If you had the chance to learn from a person of the Jewish faith or from a Muslim, who would you go to? The best source of information on the teachings of any church is a practicing member of that church, not someone who opposes that church. I make it a practice to do that myself. If I wanted to learn about what Catholicism teaches, I wouldn't go to a disgrunted ex-Catholic who has become a Baptist. I would go to a practicing Catholic. That's one reason why you will never see me post any information about anybody's faith that was gleaned from his enemies.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I didn't post it to show that. I just posted it to "balance" the thread. People change religions all the time. You can find testimony from a person of any religion that converted to some other religion. You can find atheists that use to be Christians - and how much it has changed their lives for the better - how they felt worthless and depressed until they abandoned Christianity. You can find Muslims that used to be Christians. You can find Christians that used to be Muslims. You can find Jews who used to be atheists. You can find Christians that used to be Jews.
Katzpur makes a good point. If you want to honestly learn about a religion - would you go to someone that now hates it and has abandoned it - or would you go to someone who actively believes? If someone had a question on Christianity - would you send them to one of the former Christian atheists on the Atheist/Agnostic thread? I think not.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
I just read a few of these stories myself. Don't you find it interesting that all of these people found something in the teachings of Mormonism that felt right to them but didn't feel the slightest bit hostle towards the church they left? To me, that speaks volumes.

My favorite LDS Apostle, M. Russell Ballard, wrote a book several years back. It was called "Our Search for Happiness." It's subtitle, which I think was more meaningful even than its title, was "An invitation to understand the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." The whole focus of his book was to build bridges of understanding. He explained what we believe and why. There was no hard-sell, no condemning rhetoric towards other churches. There was none of that. At the end of the book (which was just 124 pages long), he said:

"Consider what I've written here. Weigh it carefully. Measure it against the things you believe -- and the things you want to believe. Hold fast to all that you know to be true and add to that the fulness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Take into account what you've felt as you've read these words. Then put it all to the ultimate test: Ask God. Listen for His answer with your heart, then respond to what you feel."

I seriously don't see how anybody can find that to be offensive. The Bible tells us that if we lack wisdom, we can ask God and He will respond by giving us that wisdom. How can it be so dangerous, as people imply is it, to learn about what denominations other than their own (not just Mormonism) teach and to ask God to guide them in their search for truth. I know that my religion teaches us that we should be willing to embrace truth wherever it may be found. Finding it in unexpected places should not be frightening to us.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:40 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I didn't post it to show that. I just posted it to "balance" the thread. People change religions all the time. You can find testimony from a person of any religion that converted to some other religion. You can find atheists that use to be Christians - and how much it has changed their lives for the better - how they felt worthless and depressed until they abandoned Christianity. You can find Muslims that used to be Christians. You can find Christians that used to be Muslims. You can find Jews who used to be atheists. You can find Christians that used to be Jews.
Katzpur makes a good point. If you want to honestly learn about a religion - would you go to someone that now hates it and has abandoned it - or would you go to someone who actively believes? If someone had a question on Christianity - would you send them to one of the former Christian atheists on the Atheist/Agnostic thread? I think not.
This thread is the balance.

There is always another side to the story... and simply because some former Mormon don't tow the party line doesn't automatically mean that they aren't creditable.

His Healing Now ........... "how you can be worthy now" ... the day they found forgiveness.........for women by women

His Healing Now offers a tangible cures for various symptoms of unworthiness

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-08-2010 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: please do not "quote" things other members deny saying

Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
This thread is the balance.

There is always another side to the story... and simply because some former Mormon don't tow the party line doesn't automatically mean that they aren't creditable.

His Healing Now ........... "how you can be worthy now" ... the day they found forgiveness.........for women by women

His Healing Now offers a tangible cures for various symptoms of unworthiness
All I'm saying is that you can find any testimony that you are looking for. It took me all of two seconds to find the one about the Catholics converting to Mormonism. You can go on the Atheist/Agnostic forum and find all the converts from Christianity. I know someone that was raised Catholic that is now becoming a Jew. I know2 people that were raised agnostic that became born again Christian. I know many, many people that were raised Christian that are now nonreligious. And I also know some agnostics that became Mormon.
I know lots of Mormons. They are some of the best people I know. To me - the things that they believe in are no more out there than what any other religions believes.
I just don't understand all this effort and energy in bashing other religions and denominations. If you don't like Mormonism - don't become a Mormon. If you want to learn about what they believe - the learn. If you don't like what you learn - then again, don't become a Mormon.
The only thing that the insults and the bashing accomplish is to make the insulters/bashers look bad. If you don't like something - don't partake in it.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
This is a link here is a web site for women created by women who converted from Mormonism to Christianity.
They are trying to share "how you can be worthy now" ... the day they found forgiveness.

His Healing Now

You'll read about a 30 yr quest for forgiveness that brings despair. Then they learn of what Christ's blood actually does .... as the Bible truely teaches.

Many women today (even outside of Mormonism) have guilt, shame, feeling unworthy and isloation issues because of their life choices.

This web site is a very powerful witness to the Jesus of the Bible. If you know of a woman who is struggling with feeling unworthy, conditional forgiveness, shame, guilt and seeing Jesus as an example to follow ... it's a must, must read.
I was really blessed to read this woman's (Rachel) testimony. Thank you so much for sharing. I pray that God will use her to show people the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity