Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do you translate/interprept the word "believe", as in "whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life".

To me there is not much room for misunderstandings, because 'believe' means 'believe' which means faith. Those who believe (have faith) will have everlasting life. Those who do not believe will not have everlasting life.

Maybe the interpreption that you have been told is not correct. Is that possible?
All will believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
All will believe
That would make it pointless for the authors of the Bible to repeat some 200 times that those who believe are saved.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
If you are a Jew and die in holocaust you go to hell. If you kill bunch of Jews in concentration camp and repent in the last moment, you go to Heaven despite denying an opportunity of repentance to all those Jews.

Worst. News. Ever.
I am sorry you see it as worst news ever . Perhaps one day you will see it as good news, because that is what it is. Yes, even a murderer is saved if he turns to God.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
That would make it pointless for the authors of the Bible to repeat some 200 times that those who believe are saved.
Pointless to you, but that doesn't change anything.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Pointless to you, but that doesn't change anything.
Can you explain the point of repeating the need for faith 200 times?

Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM

159 posts, read 175,035 times
Quote:
I am sorry you see it as worst news ever . Perhaps one day you will see it as good news, because that is what it is. Yes, even a murderer is saved if he turns to God.
Thanks for your compassion (I am not sarcastic). However, what you preach is simply not a very good news for the reasons I wrote two posts ago.

Also, what you are talking about doesn't seem to happen in real life: Christians seem to sin a lot, too and therefore I am simply skeptical that they are as born again as they think. Communism worked in theory, too.

On the other hand, non-believers are capable of being good people, too. Many (not all but many) scientists don't believe in God, but their work is immensely useful. As Steve Dutch noted here:

Quote:
If Satan is "the father of lies" and "there is no truth in him" (John 8:44), and "a good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit " (Matthew 7:18; Luke 6:43) , then how can people whose work passes all tests for truth be "spiritually ruled by the Evil One?"

Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Can you explain the point of repeating the need for faith 200 times?
Because faith is necessary.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
Also, what you are talking about doesn't seem to happen in real life: Christians seem to sin a lot, too and therefore I am simply skeptical that they are as born again as they think.
Many, if not most Christians lable themselves as Christians, but not born again Christians. Practically all Americans lable themselves as Christians, since this is a Christian country, but they admit they are not born again.

Quote:
On the other hand, non-believers are capable of being good people, too. Many (not all but many) scientists don't believe in God, but their work is immensely useful. As Steve Dutch noted here
Sure. Non-believers are capable of niceness and generousity too, but niceness alone will not save anyone.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Because faith is necessary.
Yes, faith is necessary for salvation. And you need to have faith before you die, because I know dead people don't read the Bible. The Bible is written for the living. We must make sure we do not die in our sins. If this was not the case, the Bible would not repeat it even once. The fact that it is repeated 200 times, stresses its importance.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, faith is necessary for salvation. And you need to have faith before you die, because I know dead people don't read the Bible. The Bible is written for the living. We must make sure we do not die in our sins. If this was not the case, the Bible would not repeat it even once. The fact that it is repeated 200 times, stresses its importance.

Never said faith was not important. If it mentioned it once I would still know it was important.

The before you die part is the only place where in general we disagree, you follow that intepretation, I don't.

I want people to experience the freedom of Christ in this life, but death does not change anything concerning what God will do as he has declared he will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity