Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 AM

271 posts, read 356,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Life is a learning experience and maybe the purpose of this board is to teach us certain things. See, it is easier to be humble and respectful when you are face to face with people, while here at the discussion board the bar is lower. However, I don't think God sees it that way. He does not care where we are when we are disrespectful, be it here or face to face with people.

Food for thought.

I hope many people understand this.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,385,948 times
Quote:
Life is a learning experience and maybe the purpose of this board is to teach us certain things. See, it is easier to be humble and respectful when you are face to face with people, while here at the discussion board the bar is lower. However, I don't think God sees it that way. He does not care where we are when we are disrespectful, be it here or face to face with people.

Food for thought.
Very good observation.
I think there is also a "spirit of competition" that lurks here (strangely reminiscent of high school..).
Whereas what Jesus calls us to, is edifying one another in love!..

Blessings!
Brian

Old 11-18-2010, 04:57 AM

202 posts, read 353,749 times
Quote:
God if the ultimate judge, and his word is out guide. We go by what He has revealed to us thought his word.

It's our guide in every day behavior, as in follow these laws will lead one to spiritual health and wealth. So we may be encouraged to encourage our fellow humans towards a spiritually healthy path just as we may be encouraged to encourage them to follow a physically healthy path. What we are not involved in, is ultimate judgement because that required omniscience. How do you know what's in someone's heart and soul? Someone may talk the talk and even appear to walk the walk but might be the biggest hypocrite around, and vice versa. We do not know anyone's past nor future nor inner being, only God does, and that is why ONLY God is the judge of the ultimate judgement which is who goes to heaven and who goes to hell.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,801,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
How do you know what's in someone's heart and soul? Someone may talk the talk and even appear to walk the walk but might be the biggest hypocrite around, and vice versa. We do not know anyone's past nor future nor inner being, only God does, and that is why ONLY God is the judge of the ultimate judgement which is who goes to heaven and who goes to hell.
Yes, that is true. We don't know other people's hearts, nor can we see if the Holy Spirit is in them, and we might jump in to wrong conclusions about them, and their relationship with God. We should not question other people's salvation. That is a job that should be left to God.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Very good observation.
I think there is also a "spirit of competition" that lurks here (strangely reminiscent of high school..).
Whereas what Jesus calls us to, is edifying one another in love!..
Yes, in the "heat of the battle" we tend to get passionate about being right and winning the debate as opposed to being passionate about edifying others. It's not easy being human.....

Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,151,328 times
Good thread Finn!

Verses for thought:

2 Tim 2
22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.
24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.
25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,
26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

2 Peter 1
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble,
11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

As in all things, love is the key.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Good thread Finn!

Verses for thought:

2 Tim 2
22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.
24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.
25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,
26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

2 Peter 1
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble,
11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

As in all things, love is the key.
The key is to act it, not just talk about it. Yes?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,151,328 times
Quote:
The key is to act it, not just talk about it. Yes?
Yes. That's what love is, right? Love is an action - being patient, kind, gentle, forgiving, selfless, with self-control, etc. That is what I mean when I'm talking about love.

Indeed that is the tricky part.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 AM

64,036 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
May God accept us as good servants, Amen.
I prefer to be accepted as a mature adopted son . . . not a servant.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,566,632 times
Ahhhh. Such a good thread. I think sometimes God removes the blinders from our eyes so we can take a good spiritual look at one another to let us remember that we are brothers and sisters in Him despite our doctrinal differences.

I see Christians edifying one another here, and a gathering of the church..God Bless you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity