Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm not saying I would necessarily tolerate actions that are self destructive or criminal in my friends and family members. I don't have children yet - but I'm sure I would try to help my children any way possible - therapy, rehab, detox, anything I could possibly do. However - I think that I have very different opinions of what is the "right path." Drugs, crime, abusive relationships - these are all bad things. As for sexual immorality - I think that unless it involves children or non consenting adults - people's sex lives are private and personal. What someone does in the bedroom is their business.
I know wat you are saying, but if you are a member of a family, the church, where people believe in the teachings of the Bible, and the Bible is clear about sexual immorality, then it will be treated as a sin. In most cases we are talking about someone cheating on their spouse. It is not uncommon for the church to become aware of a member cheating. If it is allowed to continue, it will lead to many other problems:

1. The cheater is given a green light to continue and will not return to right path
2. The spouse will be even more ashamed knowing her partner's actions are tolerated by the church
3. Other members will think it is ok to cheat
4. Members will begin to doubt the meaningfullness of Jesus's teachings

and many more.

Quote:
But most importantly, I want my friends and family to know that I am there for them no matter what. I don't judge. I don't condemn. I will help and I will offer advice - and it may not be advice that they want to hear. However, they know that my love for them is unconditiona
Sure, and I am saying that tolarating anything and everything is not a loving thing to do, but I guess you already agreed with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know wat you are saying, but if you are a member of a family, the church, where people believe in the teachings of the Bible, and the Bible is clear about sexual immorality, then it will be treated as a sin. In most cases we are talking about someone cheating on their spouse. It is not uncommon for the church to become aware of a member cheating. If it is allowed to continue, it will lead to many other problems:

1. The cheater is given a green light to continue and will not return to right path
2. The spouse will be even more ashamed knowing her partner's actions are tolerated by the church
3. Other members will think it is ok to cheat
4. Members will begin to doubt the meaningfullness of Jesus's teachings

and many more.

Sure, and I am saying that tolarating anything and everything is not a loving thing to do, but I guess you already agreed with that.
I wasn't so much talking about adultery. My best friend had a good method of dealing with it with one of her friends. She found out a friend of hers had slept with one of her other friend's boyfriend. So she told the boyfriend that he had 2 weeks to tell his girlfriend or she was going to do it herself! I think that was a good way to handle it!
I guess I was thinking more about things that most Christians think are wrong - but that many non believers don't have a problem with - such as premarital sex, living with someone before marriage, homosexuality. I would never judge anyone for the sexual relationships that aren't harmful to anyone else. I know that my husband's cousin's church kicked out a member because she was living with her boyfriend. I think that was wrong - but then again, I guess it really makes no difference to me since I don't go to church in the first place.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I wasn't so much talking about adultery. My best friend had a good method of dealing with it with one of her friends. She found out a friend of hers had slept with one of her other friend's boyfriend. So she told the boyfriend that he had 2 weeks to tell his girlfriend or she was going to do it herself! I think that was a good way to handle it!
Yes, that is a good way to handle it.

Quote:
I guess I was thinking more about things that most Christians think are wrong - but that many non believers don't have a problem with - such as premarital sex, living with someone before marriage, homosexuality. I would never judge anyone for the sexual relationships that aren't harmful to anyone else. I know that my husband's cousin's church kicked out a member because she was living with her boyfriend. I think that was wrong - but then again, I guess it really makes no difference to me since I don't go to church in the first place.
I don't make it my business either unless the persons in question are members of the church. Even then it is up the elders, and not me personally. There are valid reasons why churches keep unrepentant sinners out of the church. Perhaps the most valid is the fact that the social isolation usually brings the person to repentence. Also, you cannot impose an unrepentant sinner on the rest of the members. Note, that I am talking about permanent members, not visitors. A visitor is always welcome, no matter what they do in their daily lives.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-07-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Gay hate, gay fear, gay bashing, it's all the same and YOU know it; but then again, you are in a MUCH different part of North Carolina than I am. Down in my neck of the woods, there are quite a few folks that don't do fundamental Christianity anymore. Even our native son Billy Graham preaches a wide acceptance of Christ now. I suspect things are a bit different in Gaston, NC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNCnxA91fHE

Did you hear that? Whether they come from the Buddhist world, Hindu world, Muslim world, or the non-believing world (aka atheist) they are saved because they turn to the only light (aka morality) that they have. Listen to this great man from my hometown (our home state). He is trying to tell you/us something in his old age (something he didn't know when he was a younger more condemning preacher; but he knows now).
Listen again and listen to his actual words, there are people of many faith that are being called of God and they do not yet know the name they are seeking.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
We all form our opinions differently. Mine are based on my conscience, my life experiences, my heart, my family, and everything else that goes into who I am and who I have become. Since everyone is different - people will all have different opinions. You are entitled to your opinions - I am entitled to mine. I don't condmen others for having different opinions. I don't condemn others for making different life decisions than I would. I try to understand why people do the things they do - not judge, understand.
All opinions are based on the very same areas but I include God and His Word for much of mine. I dont judge nor condemn I warn the transgressors of what they face in what they do. And yes I know I transgress as well and I seek the Lord all the more.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I guess I will never understand this since I'm not a believer. It all seems very self righteous and judgemental to me - but so many believers feel this way so that you all must feel that you are justified in this behavior. It's hard for me to understand - but I also don't divide people as believers and non believers - I just see them all as people. Perhaps I would feel differently about all this if I were religious.
You dont need to be religious just have faith in the Lord and He will show you the truth.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
You dont need to be religious just have faith in the Lord and He will show you the truth.
I have faith in myself and I have peace in my heart. I know everyone thinks that their way is the "right" way - but I simply think that we all have to find our own way. I'm on my path and you are on yours. It's okay with me that they are different paths. If you are happy and at peace - then your path is the right one for you and that's all that matters.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Question:

If it is true that God was in Christ, reconciling himself with the world, why then do so many professing Christians not want to be reconciled with others? Do you really have any right to condemn any person?

Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. 2Cor. 5:18-19

Are you imputing sin to people and counting their trespasses against them? Under what authority do you do so? Are you able to forgive those who trespass against you 70x7 or are you secretly hoping God will punish your enemies? Only you know the truth to these questions deep in the hidden man of the heart which God sees.
Good post heartsong. When we see how God see's us, it really is difficult to be unforgiving,i also believe how forgiving and unforgiving we shapes who we are.

I remember years ago, i was walking through the High St of my own town, and i was thinking about this building contractor who i had done work for, how he had ripped me off(badly), i heard the Lord say to me,you need to forgive him,i agreed to, at that moment the building contractor walked out of a store almost into me,i spoke to him as if what he had done to me had never happened. By the way this building contractor lived 15 miles from my home town, and had never seen him there before.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I have faith in myself and I have peace in my heart. I know everyone thinks that their way is the "right" way - but I simply think that we all have to find our own way. I'm on my path and you are on yours. It's okay with me that they are different paths. If you are happy and at peace - then your path is the right one for you and that's all that matters.
It is good that you have faith in yourself but can you raise from the dead, heal the sick, or live a sinless life? Not judging nor condemning just suggesting you may need something more.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
It is good that you have faith in yourself but can you raise from the dead, heal the sick, or live a sinless life? Not judging nor condemning just suggesting you may need something more.
I am perfectly at peace on my path. I have no need to raise the dead or heal the sick. I do not measure sin the same way that religious people do. My path is the right path for me. I require nothing more than what I have. Thank you for your concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity