Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 PM

267 posts, read 297,012 times

Advertisements

Why has the idea of Sola Scriptura degraded into the practice of only studying the scriptures that support my belief, instead of studying all the scriptures to define my belief?

I read many of the forum posts where people expound on their Christian views. Although they appear to be in harmony with the Bible by the verses they cite, their expressed view is explicitly contradicted by other scriptures.

I wonder if the illiteracy of the masses in the past and the churches domination of doctrine and scriptural teaching (little changed even after the reformation) has left the masses uninformed and indifferent even in these modern times of the information age. The doctrines are already defined?

Maybe it is too much work to look beyond the spoon fed prepackaged information. Our "fast food, sound bite, fiscal week profits" society is satisfied with one or two scriptures to support our belief. We do not need all of them, we got two good ones, lets go go go.

I will give an example. I have seen many people talking about how Jesus is the salvation of the entire world. It is not important about their beliefs or actions, he has died for their sins too, come one, come all; we are ALL saved.

Some others talk about it being limited to "believers". If you confess a belief in Jesus, you are in. ANY sins will be forgiven as long as you confess your belief and ask forgiveness, even if only on your deathbed, you'll be saved.

In response to those views I would query about the applicability of few scriptures to start.

Matthew 7:13,14; 21-23

If only "few" are finding the "narrow gate" and Jesus is even rejecting those that are doing powerful works in his name as evildoers (NIV), how could either of these scenarios of salvation as previously presented be accurate and in harmony with these scriptures.

My intent is not to debate the doctrines of salvation, but only to illustrate my question.

Why has the idea of Sola Scriptura degraded into the practice of only studying the scriptures that support my belief, instead of studying all the scriptures to define my belief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 12:03 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWW1962 View Post
It has not degraded . . . it has been improved by enlightened educated interpretation "rightly DIVIDING the word" instead of blindly adhering to ancient interpretations under the veil of ignorance.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,654 times
Quote:

I read many of the forum posts where people expound on their Christian views. Although they appear to be in harmony with the Bible by the verses they cite, their expressed view is explicitly contradicted by other scriptures.

I wonder if the illiteracy of the masses in the past and the churches domination of doctrine and scriptural teaching (little changed even after the reformation) has left the masses uninformed and indifferent even in these modern times of the information age. The doctrines are already defined?

Maybe it is too much work to look beyond the spoon fed prepackaged information. Our "fast food, sound bite, fiscal week profits" society is satisfied with one or two scriptures to support our belief. We do not need all of them, we got two good ones, lets go go go.

I will give an example. I have seen many people talking about how Jesus is the salvation of the entire world. It is not important about their beliefs or actions, he has died for their sins too, come one, come all; we are ALL saved.

Some others talk about it being limited to "believers". If you confess a belief in Jesus, you are in. ANY sins will be forgiven as long as you confess your belief and ask forgiveness, even if only on your deathbed, you'll be saved.

In response to those views I would query about the applicability of few scriptures to start.

Matthew 7:13,14; 21-23

If only "few" are finding the "narrow gate" and Jesus is even rejecting those that are doing powerful works in his name as evildoers (NIV), how could either of these scenarios of salvation as previously presented be accurate and in harmony with these scriptures.

My intent is not to debate the doctrines of salvation, but only to illustrate my question.

As one who believes in the restoration of all things, i can tell you that the verses you referenced do in no way contradict either of the points you made.

We know that the penitent thief was given repentance and faith on his death cross ...

We also know that God will have all people to be saved and is the savior of all people.

It is all a matter of proper interpretation of the scriptures, such as the scriptures you mentioned that speak of the judgment of the nations when God divides the Goat nations from the sheep nations. It is not a final judgment, it is for those living when Christ returns to the earth to reign in his kingdom.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 12-11-2010 at 12:38 AM..

Old 12-11-2010, 01:49 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,155 times
Why believe in Sola Scriptura i the first place?

Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
In Matthew 7: 13-14....``Enter ye in at the strait gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction and many there be which go in there at... Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few will be there to find it``...... Lord Jesus is the strait gate, and the narrow way is a sinless path by the will of God , and broad way is the sin of the world and reasoning of antichrist away from God...... This a metafor from the Lord and for clarity you must know the Lord`s Spirit to know the meaning ......................In Verse 21-23.......``Not every one that saith unto me Lord, Lord shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven but he that does the will of my Father which is in Heaven... Many will say to me in that day Lord, Lord have we not prophesied in your name ? and in your name caste out devils? and your name done many wondersful works?..... and then will I profess unto them I never knew you depart from me you that work iniquity.``...........See in Romans 11: 29..... `` For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance``....... This means in a person with a calling sins, than that person does not lose the gifts and calling of Jesus Spirit, even Jesus does need these people with his gifts to continue to turn from sin always after their conversion ......And if his calling continue to sin, new gifts of the spirit will stop coming and they run a risk of being taken out by the devil.......... But if they live the life of iniquity with the gifts that were given and keep the devil at bay through the gifts of the spirit and ignore the will of God and his purpose than the Lord will reject these people who fell into a curse and he said ``I never knew you``....... It is not the gifts of HIS Spirit that are cursed, but the sin of iniquity and getting out of the will of God and ignoring Jesus lead to his children.....

Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It has not degraded . . . it has been improved by enlightened educated interpretation "rightly DIVIDING the word" instead of blindly adhering to ancient interpretations under the veil of ignorance.
RESPONSE:

Actually, it's called "pick the interpretation I like because I'm smarter than everyone else."

Sometimes it's called the special inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Unfortunately, a conflict arises when two or more people try to play that same game.

Hence, the evolution of the various denominations of Christianity.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:04 AM

267 posts, read 297,012 times
Default enlightened educated interpretation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Could you please provide some examples of enlightened improvement to support this opinion?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:12 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:

It's called cherry picking, expounding on the parts that support their agenda, discarding those that don't.

I reject the whole bible as nonsense, many believers reject only parts of the bible as nonsense, which I think is worse. It should be all or nothing, not just the convenient parts, a very hypocritical and self-serving practice.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:21 AM

9 posts, read 10,911 times
Default many branches to this tree...

Great original post, and I totally agree. What continues to mystify me, is that people will claim to be "sola scriptura", and yet they are not. They continue to follow catholic tradition and edicts for their popes.
For example, in the 4th century, Constantine declared the "1st day of the week" to be the Sabbath day instead of the 7th day commanded by God Himself (Gen 2:1-3). I could never find any authority in Scripture for man to be able to change or delete a commandment of God at his/her own discretion.
Another example is the holiday called "Christmas". Again, a catholic decree and tradtion, accepted by almost all who are called "protestants". Yet there is no Biblical precidence or decree to claim a date as the Lord's birth date and celebrate it anually.
And then there's that term "protestant", which is properly defined as a protesting catholic. The reformers were catholics. They did not leave the catholic church, they only protestes certain practices and doctrines.
I AM NOT A PROTESTANT, nor am I catholic. I'm a born again child of God, of the group first called "Christians" in Antioch. That means "Christ like". It was so obvious that the people in the church at Antioch were Christ Like, and they were therefore called because of Christ exemplified in their lives.
Now this is not an exhaustive list. But those who make the claim "sola scriptura" and yet follow catholic traditions, are decieved, to say the least.

Humbly before Him,

Lahry

Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,001 times
I believe in sola scriptura but not everyone knows scripture well enough to follow this perfectly. I learn everyday and I have been born again for 10years. I believe in the Bible interpriting the Bible and I understand that many words have many meanings which many of the enlightened interpriters like to abuse. The Lord said we must become like children in our belief and digging into the many meanings of words is just a manipulation technique. We must take the word at face value and interprit it with other relating portions of the Bible and the context of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity