Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:25 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Yes I did...deal with it. You use whatever you want, I'll stick to Scripture.
No you didn't. If you think you did, post it and only that verse, so I can see what verse you THINK is saying only to use scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,476 times
Quote:
I love it, Verna. Thanks for the honest answer. At least you didn't give us the side step...completely. So for that, my hat's off to you. But alas, your approach is still wrong. But your answer almost makes up for it. lol.

Luther could have used that slogan: Protestantism: We believe what we want to believe. Deal with it!
It's kind of catchy.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
You still didn't list a verse saying only to use the bible. You once again gave only YOUR OPINION.
You're right, she posted a few scriptures, none of which even remotely implied that the Bible is to be the source of all truth for Christians. Of course, we know why should didn't...

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,642 times
The "Book" which the writer "read" must have existed before he could quote it...it must have come from "Some Higher Authority"...Selah...

...Our faith in doctrine is not established until we have a perfect conviction that God is its author.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It has not degraded . . . it has been improved by enlightened educated interpretation "rightly DIVIDING the word" instead of blindly adhering to ancient interpretations under the veil of ignorance.
RESPONSE:

And if "rightly DIVIDING the word" is interpreting scripture as what you want it to say, so much the better!

That's the joy of private interpretation!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
People that claim the title "Christian" trust the Bible for the only source because we trust God.

1 Peter 1:25
but the word of the Lord stands forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.

Whoever claims that for whatever reason that God's Word (for whatever reason) is \ became corrupted and that further revelations are still being needed are false.

1 Corinthians 15:2
By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

Galatians 1:8
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!

The NT boks relate the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. The books of the OT and NT provide all that is needed for salvation. They recount the founding, growth and the obstacles of the churches established by the Apostles.
The Apostles in their live time was already combating the notion of other people claims that they too also are sources of God's revelations\ prophecies.

NIV 2 Thessalonians 2:1b-2
"we ask you, brothers not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us,"

Those who come offering another gospel or other sources of the truth God reveals that they will be eternally damned. Paul puts it in the past tense.

Galatians 1:8-9
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!

As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

Last edited by twin.spin; 12-13-2010 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: spacing error

Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM

63,787 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

And if "rightly DIVIDING the word" is interpreting scripture as what you want it to say, so much the better!

That's the joy of private interpretation!
Your efforts here in the forum are clearly anti-Christ in nature . . . promoting and defending a rejection of Christ. That clearly places you in the adversary's camp . . . so nothing you say has an real impact on Christians who listen to Jesus and His Holy Spirit within. God has "written in our hearts" all that we need to know and the Comforter (Holy Spirit) guides us from within to the truth or falsity of any doctrine presented to us. Anything that appeals to and resonates with our negative human emotions is false and evil, period. There is no private interpretation that can make appeals to our negative human emotions good, period.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,070 times
Quote:
What do you call Scripture? Where did you get it? How did you decide it is "Scripture"?
Whose canon, which Bible?
Bible Study: Which Bible? Whose Canon?
Do you believe Ellen White was a prophet of God and do you read her writings as "scripture"? -Just wondering on that one, because you come here teaching seventh day Sabbath keeping for Gentiles, I think.

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 12-13-2010 at 05:02 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your efforts here in the forum are clearly anti-Christ in nature . . . promoting and defending a rejection of Christ. That clearly places you in the adversary's camp . . . so nothing you say has an real impact on Christians who listen to Jesus and His Holy Spirit within. God has "written in our hearts" all that we need to know and the Comforter (Holy Spirit) guides us from within to the truth or falsity of any doctrine presented to us. Anything that appeals to and resonates with our negative human emotions is false and evil, period. There is no private interpretation that can make appeals to our negative human emotions good, period.
RESPONSE:

What you really mean is that I don't agree with you when you are in error,right?

Instead, I believe:

"Test everything, hold fast to that which is true," (reject error). Paul

"Now that I am a man I have put away the things of a child." Paul

"You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." John

Does that make me "anit-Christ"?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM

Twin Spin posted:

NIV 2 Thessalonians 2:1b-2
"we ask you, brothers not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us,"

RESPONSE:

Actually, this refers to Paul's claim about the return of Jesus during Paul and his follower's lifetime. Since it didn't happen, a follower of Paul had to pretend that Paul hadn't really written that.

However, 2 Thes 4:15 clearly states:
"Indeed, we tell you this, on the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, 3 will surely not precede those who have fallen asleep."

Paul was wrong.

Galatians 1:8-9

As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

RESPONSE:
Yes, Paul disputed the gospel of the original followers of Jesus, the Jerusalem community. He insisted that everyone believe his gospel even though it contradicted Jesus on some points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity