Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times

Advertisements

What is its source? - Man or God?

What say you? - please support your answer from scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
In Romans 12: 3.......``For I say, through the grace given unto me that is amoung you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith``.......means that God gives believers a gift of faith , actually when believers turn there lives over to Jesus that receive a spiritual gift of the ability to love the Lord and a gift of faith is part of this love gift from the Lord Jesus ....... Says here that believers should not think themselve better than others in their churches because of Working of Gifts of Holy Spirit , because all are not given all the gifts and others are given gifts that high minded believers do not have and all our gifts come from a measure of Faith from the Lord Jesus ......This measure of Faith that believer are given to believe can still be challenged with, reason and logic from the evil adversary, but if you work and listen to Jesus Spirit victory in faith will be there

Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In Romans 12: 3.......``For I say, through the grace given unto me that is amoung you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith``.......means that God gives believers a gift of faith , actually when believers turn there lives over to Jesus that receive a spiritual gift of the ability to love the Lord and a gift of faith is part of this love gift from the Lord Jesus ....... Says here that believers should not think themselve better than others in their churches because of Working of Gifts of Holy Spirit , because all are not given all the gifts and others are given gifts that high minded believers do not have and all our gifts come from a measure of Faith from the Lord Jesus ......This measure of Faith that believer are given to believe can still be challenged with, reason and logic from the evil adversary, but if you work and listen to Jesus Spirit victory in faith will be there
Amen....

The greatness of man's power is the measure of his surrender. -- William Booth

Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
God gives everyone some faith or "a measure of faith", and it is up us to nurture it. God credited Abraham's faith to him as righteousness (Romans 4:3), and in other places He tells people that their faith is weak (Matthew 14:31). Why would God credit Abraham for having strong faith if God himself had given it all to him and why would hold someone else responsible for having weak faith, if it was God who did not give him more faith?

God plants the seed of faith, and will hold all of us responsible for having weak or strong faith.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I'm confused, Faith is belief but your saying that God gives Faith (Belief) to believers.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
God gives everyone some faith or "a measure of faith", and it is up us to nurture it. God credited Abraham's faith to him as righteousness (Romans 4:3), and in other places He tells people that their faith is weak (Matthew 14:31). Why would God credit Abraham for having strong faith if God himself had given it all to him and why would hold someone else responsible for having weak faith, if it was God who did not give him more faith?

God plants the seed of faith, and will hold all of us responsible for having weak or strong faith.
So God gives Faith and then we must nurture it. Can you support that part where the scriptures say we must nurture it?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 AM

I can give Faith (Belief). Here is an example. I give a lecture about Faith. I tell the crowd that I can jump 1 foot into the air. I ask how many have Faith that I can do such. Practically everyone raised their hands. Then I say I can jump 40 feet into the air. I ask how many have Faith I can do that. Nobody raises their hands. None of them had Faith that I can jump into the air 40 feet. How could they get this faith then? Then I jumped 40 feet into the air. I then asked them how many of you have Faith I could jump 41 feet into the air and all of them raised their hands. None of them could tell me that the Faith came from themselves. For none of them believed I could jump 40 feet into the air. But once I did they could believe I could jump 41.

Of course this account is fictional but demonstrates that we give others belief. And that belief can be given to you. That people that do believe in God is because God has manifest Himself in some believable way to that those people that have Faith. He could easily manifest Himself even more to those that still lack it.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 AM

God shows that when He gives us Faith we are obligated to be Faithful. We cannot think that we did anything worthy to receive it or to receive MORE of it. The disciples ask Jesus to increase their Faith. He want on to show them they were unprofitable servants. They have an obligation under the Faith given. They can't do any more to earn more Faith but must do as directed.

Luk 17:5 And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.
Luk 17:6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
Luk 17:7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
Luk 17:8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
Luk 17:9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
Luk 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
So God gives Faith and then we must nurture it. Can you support that part where the scriptures say we must nurture it?
You nurture it by studying the word of God.

Romans 10:17 faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

Some people do not nutrure it and err from the faith 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Jesus said Mark 11:22 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith in God".

See, He said "have faith". Why would He say that if He had made sure everyone has sufficient faith?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You nurture it by studying the word of God.

Romans 10:17 faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

Some people do not nutrure it and err from the faith 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Jesus said Mark 11:22 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith in God".

See, He said "have faith". Why would He say that if He had made sure everyone has sufficient faith?
I'm still not seeing it. What word means "nutured" in those verses or set of words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity