Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Let's qualify "Christian."

It's a subjective word, distinct from the thing itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
When I was a Christian, I used to be elated to find out that this or that celebrity of sports star was a Christian (yes, atheist do the same thing when they find out one of them is an atheist too. I know.) There was also a comfort in knowing this or that minister would also be one to "preach the world of god." But then, a funny thing happens sometimes. The same celebrity/sports star or minister is pressed on a subject about the bible, god or Jesus and they say something odd; something contrary to what you as a Christian believe and then all of a sudden, they are not so "Christian" anymore. Believe it or not, I see it here to some extent. I'm not sure folks are claiming (outright) that others are not True Christians like themselves; however, you see the little hints of implication.

I remember when Oprah first hit the airwaves and being from the South she used to drop a god mention here and there in her shows. Christians like me were giddy that she was an [assumed] Christian. This was until she started to elaborate and now she is the high priest of New Age philosophy in the minds of some Christians. She might as well be Satan. I think T.D Jakes was another one. As his popularity rose, he started doing more interviews and in one of them he said something that led some to believe he was not a Trinitarian. Well you know how some viewed him after that.

It is often said that as long as one believes in Jesus that is ALL that matters; however, from the looks of it, HOW one believes in Jesus matters a great deal.

What say ye?
I agree. Any and everyone now a days call themselves Christian, but are far from what Christ says it means to me. Anyone can call themselves Christian and not be living up to what it really means. I can call myself Christian and go out and smoke weed, have sex, drink alcohol, and lie to the world and try to make them believe a lie.

Being a Christian is not about money, who you are, what you look like, or who you pay to become a high figure in the church. Being a Christian is what Jesus says would qualify you to be a Christian or a disciple. Following Jesus is by all means living the life that He modeled for His disciples to live.

I can call myself a Christian and be the biggest liar in God's eyes. So, walking the walk of a Christian is more than talk, it is following and actually striving to live one's life as Christ did and that can be a difficut challenge, being human. He was perfect and we will never be, nor will I be.

I still have flaws and may get angry at the person tha cuts me off in the car, but I am striving to live my life day by day and be better than I was yesterday. I want be perfect here, so I don't try to be, but I don't use that as an accuse to not be perfect. The rest is history.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Your slant is so bad the line is vertical.
My point is that "Christian" and "non-Christian" isn't what it's all about. It's about real-life situations, and where you stand on them.

Based on what Jesus did and taught, I'd rather spend my time with a prostitue who is against war, than a "Christian" who's trigger happy.

So the indications of a "Christian" have nothing to do with what group people say they're in. The name is just the "trimmings" on the house: they can be any color one chooses.

How can it be that there are Christians who are for war, and others against? Both cannot be right.
Or Christians who support the "prosperity doctrine" and those who don't. Both cannot be right.

So it goes much deeper than that. Put the "Christian" out on the street and see how he treats his neighbor, and you'll discover who his "God" is.

Aisi..

Blessings juj,
Brian

Old 01-25-2011, 04:16 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,701,487 times
Quote:
Based on what Jesus did and taught, I'd rather spend my time with a prostitute who is against war, than a "Christian" who's trigger happy.

Well the truth is Jesus taught and showed us regardless who you are He is not ashame of you and would spend time with either a.... Prostitute who was against war, or even a Christian who is trigger happy or one who believes in the prosperity gospel or one who does not, then there is the one who believes in war or not !

He is not prejudice nor does He segregate people into difference classes of character..... but loves all people no matter who you are or what one may or may have not done !!!

So it seems ones point shows very much the lack of knowing what it means to be a Christian that Jesus taught us.....especially to have love for ones neighbor very much the character of a Christian and just by the statement above..... it speaks volumes of prejudices and for one thing God shows no partiality.... Greek, Jew, or Gentile !!

It's funny how some carry on what a Christian is or is not and right in the same paragraph shows the very spirit they speak against.....

YES, it is much deeper then one is speaking about "who is a real Christian".... by the very descriptions of their own words showing partiality who they would spend time with or not !!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post

He is not prejudice nor does He segregate people into difference classes of character..... but loves all people no matter who you are or what one may or may have not done !!!
My point exactly.

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,701,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
My point exactly.

Blessings,
brian

Quote:
Based on what Jesus did and taught, I'd rather spend my time with a prostitute who is against war, than a "Christian" who's trigger happy.
The statement above does not jive with.....

Quote:
Get the point.....

Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Jesus's promises are trustworthy and true. If you do what He says to do to be saved, you are saved. A Catholic or evangelical that does this is saved. Either can also fail to do this and not be saved.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post

The statement above does not jive with.....

Get the point.....

The Life that Christ has given us all is a Life which leads us in a certain direction. And that direction is what we seek to live and move within. It is especially a Life of love towards others. Those who support anything which is not within that frame of Life, do not yet fully enjoy the Life they have been given.

It has nothing to do with "excluding" them, it simply means that they are missing the mark.

So saying that one is "Christian" is quite useless, imo. It depends on the fruits of one's life.

Blessings,
Brian

Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Based on what Jesus did and taught, I'd rather spend my time with a prostitue who is against war, than a "Christian" who's trigger happy.
Jesus taught to love your neighbor. You should love even the Christian who believes in defending the nation.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Jesus taught to love your neighbor. You should love even the Christian who believes in defending the nation.
Agreed. And loving has nothing to do with supporting unChristian behavior. It has everything to do with calling them on it, in love.
We're all one body. If one part hurts another, we all suffer. And speaking the truth in love is quite scriptural. Jesus told Peter to put his sword away. And He rebuked them when they wanted to "call down fire from heaven" and destroy a city.

You and I are called to discuss these things and speak out against wrongs. In Love.
It can be done.

Blessings,
Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity