Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times

Advertisements

When I was a Christian, I used to be elated to find out that this or that celebrity of sports star was a Christian (yes, atheist do the same thing when they find out one of them is an atheist too. I know.) There was also a comfort in knowing this or that minister would also be one to "preach the world of god." But then, a funny thing happens sometimes. The same celebrity/sports star or minister is pressed on a subject about the bible, god or Jesus and they say something odd; something contrary to what you as a Christian believe and then all of a sudden, they are not so "Christian" anymore. Believe it or not, I see it here to some extent. I'm not sure folks are claiming (outright) that others are not True Christians like themselves; however, you see the little hints of implication.

I remember when Oprah first hit the airwaves and being from the South she used to drop a god mention here and there in her shows. Christians like me were giddy that she was an [assumed] Christian. This was until she started to elaborate and now she is the high priest of New Age philosophy in the minds of some Christians. She might as well be Satan. I think T.D Jakes was another one. As his popularity rose, he started doing more interviews and in one of them he said something that led some to believe he was not a Trinitarian. Well you know how some viewed him after that.

It is often said that as long as one believes in Jesus that is ALL that matters; however, from the looks of it, HOW one believes in Jesus matters a great deal.

What say ye?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM

563 posts, read 930,157 times
I agree with how you have shown it seems to be more about the "how" you believe. All sorts of qualifiers are run through before someone is called a brother or sister in the same faith. I've also heard that sort of line when Christian / Jews / Muslims say one of the other two doesn't worship the same God.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
Apparently so, Insane. Best to leave the judging up to the Almighty methinks. I don't know why we sometimes act as if we are all-knowing.

Looks like the devil has just visited the Moscow airport

Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
When I was a Christian, I used to be elated to find out that this or that celebrity of sports star was a Christian (yes, atheist do the same thing when they find out one of them is an atheist too. I know.) There was also a comfort in knowing this or that minister would also be one to "preach the world of god." But then, a funny thing happens sometimes. The same celebrity/sports star or minister is pressed on a subject about the bible, god or Jesus and they say something odd; something contrary to what you as a Christian believe and then all of a sudden, they are not so "Christian" anymore. Believe it or not, I see it here to some extent. I'm not sure folks are claiming (outright) that others are not True Christians like themselves; however, you see the little hints of implication.

I remember when Oprah first hit the airwaves and being from the South she used to drop a god mention here and there in her shows. Christians like me were giddy that she was an [assumed] Christian. This was until she started to elaborate and now she is the high priest of New Age philosophy in the minds of some Christians. She might as well be Satan. I think T.D Jakes was another one. As his popularity rose, he started doing more interviews and in one of them he said something that led some to believe he was not a Trinitarian. Well you know how some viewed him after that.

It is often said that as long as one believes in Jesus that is ALL that matters; however, from the looks of it, HOW one believes in Jesus matters a great deal.

What say ye?
Aisi, we've got to get beyond titles and labels.

I've seen "Christians" who are more war-minded than many neo-nazis!

Contrarily, I have met peace-loving people who are not "Christian." Or rather, they do not carry that label.

Now I used to think that people "had to be Christian" in order to be pleasing to God.
But it is quite clear to me now, that the lines of demarcation are not what they seem at all.
A "Christian" can be hateful and judgemental, and ready for war. An "atheist" can be peaceful, non-judgemental and striving to see the best in everyone.

So labels are out. Don't come telling me what church you attend, or what you believe about this or that doctrine, denomination, religion or scripture verse. The fruits are seen in real-life matters, such as how you view US involvement in Afghanistan, for example. If you talk Jesus, but support war (for example), I see very clearly who your god is..

Talk doesn't matter. Real-life issues do.

Just my 2c...

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I think many non-Christians believe in Jesus as a historical figure. Christians believe He is their Savior and Redeemer.

Quote:
What say ye?
I say that a whole lot of Christians waste far too much of their time trying to define the word by such a narrow set of parameters that pretty much everybody except their own denomination is excluded. That alone strikes me as pretty "un-Christian."

Old 01-24-2011, 03:48 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
.....In Matthew 16: 13-20 ... Jesus asked his disciples saying `` Whom do men say that I am?,,,,.. some said john the Baptist, some Ilias, other say Jeremias or one of the prophets....Jesus said to them .. But whom say you that I am?... and Simon Peter answered ..You are the Christ, the Son of the living God........ and Jesus answered and said to him..``Blessed are you Simon Barjona for flesh and blood has not revealed it to you, but my Father which is in Heaven``........ So who is Christ?..... Christ is Jesus Spirit who is brought to Christians through Holy Spirit...... So were Christians are Holy Spirit of the Lord will be on their bodies and lives as a witness of the Lord Jesus ...... who is the Trinity but the Father the creator and owner of all power, Jesus is the saviour by his blood he sheed and the Judge of all life and death and the Word of God , Holy Spirit is the presence of the Lord and deliverer of all blessing from Heaven , three as one with one purpose the Father and the Son of man and his Spirit...... In the world, the popular false Christians who reject the truth of Jesus and make up ideas has been around for centuries; but today Jesus has a strong church , and one who has a seed for growth.....

Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM

43 posts, read 46,882 times
Well, it is good not to get too exclusive about who "true" Christians are, but it's also good to have a notion of what your ideal is. Technically, anyone who worships Christ would literally be a Christian. That's distinct from weather or not they qualify as a "good" Christian. That does mean accepting that KKK members are Christian, though, which may be tough for some.

Really though, if you're dedicated to treating all people well, which you should be, then functionally it doesn't matter who is a Christian and who isn't.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,634,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Contrarily, I have met peace-loving people who are not "Christian." Or rather, they do not carry that label.

Now I used to think that people "had to be Christian" in order to be pleasing to God.
But it is quite clear to me now, that the lines of demarcation are not what they seem at all.
A "Christian" can be hateful and judgemental, and ready for war. An "atheist" can be peaceful, non-judgemental and striving to see the best in everyone.

So labels are out. Don't come telling me what church you attend, or what you believe about this or that doctrine, denomination, religion or scripture verse. The fruits are seen in real-life matters, such as how you view US involvement in Afghanistan, for example. If you talk Jesus, but support war (for example), I see very clearly who your god is..

Just my 2c...

Blessings,
brian
Your slant is so bad the line is vertical.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Just my 2c...

Blessings,
brian
I agree with this...
That is how I see it as well, Brian.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
So far on C-D, I've learned that many don't consider Catholics Christians, Evangelicals pretty much only consider other Evangelicals Christians - and that one of the best insults that people like to make on here is "You're not a true Christian!" And it seems that everyone thinks that only they alone have the authority to decide who is a true Christian and who isn't. It's very funny to me. It makes me wonder about the whole "love thy neighbor" thing. But it also seems that to some, calling people liars is more important. Oh well. Everyone can feel free to tell me I'm not a true Christian - because I'm not! But don't you dare tell me I'm not a true Heatherist - them's fightin' words!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity