Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Agreed. And loving has nothing to do with supporting unChristian behavior. It has everything to do with calling them on it, in love.
You didn't say you would 'call them on it in love'. It sounded like you said you would distance yourself from them, and that you would rather spend your time with (just talking I am sure) an anti-war prostitute. It sounded like you resent the others, but if I misunderstood it, then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
It is often said that as long as one believes in Jesus that is ALL that matters; however, from the looks of it, HOW one believes in Jesus matters a great deal.

What say ye?
I say that I'm one of those Christians who feel that only the belief in Jesus Christ is what "qualifies" one as a Christian. I haven't always believed that, but then again I was stuck in man's teachings and didn't know any better. I thought Oprah was Satan at one point too, and refused to watch her show. I don't agree with her, but if she believes Jesus Christ to be the one and only Savior and the only way to salvation then she's a Christian. I don't think she believes that, therefore she cannot call herself a Christian.

She is truly what some would call a "new ager". She believes there are many paths to God or God consciousness, so a Christian she is not. See how that works? Real simple if you ask me.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I say that I'm one of those Christians who feel that only the belief in Jesus Christ is what "qualifies" one as a Christian. I haven't always believed that, but then again I was stuck in man's teachings and didn't know any better. I thought Oprah was Satan at one point too, and refused to watch her show. I don't agree with her, but if she believes Jesus Christ to be the one and only Savior and the only way to salvation then she's a Christian. I don't think she believes that, therefore she cannot call herself a Christian.

She is truly what some would call a "new ager". She believes there are many paths to God or God consciousness, so a Christian she is not. See how that works? Real simple if you ask me.
Does she believe herself to be a Christian or not? I don't watch her that often, so I really don't know.

Here's just a thought for you to consider. I know that you and I agree that while all will eventually come to be saved, it won't happen for everyone during this life. It is possible that Oprah's belief runs somewhat along the same lines of thinking. For instance, I believe that there are people living in places like China today, who are devout Buddhists. They have had little exposure to Christianity, and so their path they have "chosen" is Buddhism. Their religion, while not the true one, does have value and helps them to be better people than they would otherwise be. Ultimately, they will have to come to accept Jesus Christ, but they can't very well accept Him when they have virtually no knowledge about Him. Still, the path they are on right now could not really be considered a dead-end. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-25-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
When I was a Christian, I used to be elated to find out that this or that celebrity of sports star was a Christian (yes, atheist do the same thing when they find out one of them is an atheist too. I know.) There was also a comfort in knowing this or that minister would also be one to "preach the world of god." But then, a funny thing happens sometimes. The same celebrity/sports star or minister is pressed on a subject about the bible, god or Jesus and they say something odd; something contrary to what you as a Christian believe and then all of a sudden, they are not so "Christian" anymore. Believe it or not, I see it here to some extent. I'm not sure folks are claiming (outright) that others are not True Christians like themselves; however, you see the little hints of implication.

I remember when Oprah first hit the airwaves and being from the South she used to drop a god mention here and there in her shows. Christians like me were giddy that she was an [assumed] Christian. This was until she started to elaborate and now she is the high priest of New Age philosophy in the minds of some Christians. She might as well be Satan. I think T.D Jakes was another one. As his popularity rose, he started doing more interviews and in one of them he said something that led some to believe he was not a Trinitarian. Well you know how some viewed him after that.

It is often said that as long as one believes in Jesus that is ALL that matters; however, from the looks of it, HOW one believes in Jesus matters a great deal.

What say ye?
Doctrine is what defines to whom title of Christian belongs ... not feelings what is fair

Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Doctrine is what defines to whom title of Christian belongs ... not feelings what is fair
Nonsense. The "precepts and doctrines of men" do not determine anything. Following Christ by "loving God and each other" is what defines a Christian . . . the rest are Bibleans or Churchians.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Does she believe herself to be a Christian or not? I don't watch her that often, so I really don't know.
I believe she does consider herself to be a Christian. But I think the more appropriate description would be follower of Christ and that other weird dude she had on her show. Can't think of his name but it was "new age" stuff. She did a whole teaching webcast thing where 2 million people participated. Oprah is on record as saying that Jesus Christ is not the only way to God....that's why I say she can't be called a Christian.

Quote:
Here's just a thought for you to consider. I know that you and I agree that while all will eventually come to be saved, it won't happen for everyone during this life. It is possible that Oprah's belief runs somewhat along the same lines of thinking. For instance, I believe that there are people living in places like China today, who are devout Buddhists. They have had little exposure to Christianity, and so their path they have "chosen" is Buddhism. Their religion, while not the true one, does have value and helps them to be better people than they would otherwise be. Ultimately, they will have to come to accept Jesus Christ, but they can't very well accept Him when they have virtually no knowledge about Him. Still, the path they are on right now could not really be considered a dead-end. Does that make sense?
Yes, I understand what you're saying. I now believe that everyone will have a chance to know Christ either in this life or the next, all will be given that opportunity and we know from scripture that all will bow and all will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. So, that's a good indication that ALL will be saved!!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,438,567 times
Quote:
Oprah is on record as saying that Jesus Christ is not the only way to God....that's why I say she can't be called a Christian.
That is the line in the sand.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
forgot about the people who are New agers, who's god is their stomach....which is subject to constipation.
Philippians 3:19
Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Quote:
She believes there are many paths to God or God consciousness, so a Christian she is not. See how that works? Real simple if you ask me.
Or she may have rocognized that the reality of God in a person is the real Christ - not the religious figure.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:07 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
That is the line in the sand.
That line is a perceived line and exists only in the mind.

Jesus' complaint was with the doctrinally correct whose heart were calloused towards others.

Being doctrinally correct is not a fruit of the Spirit, neither are beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity