Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,255 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a thread on "secrets to answered prayer". Do you have a "secret" to getting answers from God, vs "nothing", to prayers you make? Can you barter with God? (Like: God, I promise to do such-and-such, if only you'll answer this prayer) Is the secret getting rid of all sin in your life? Is the secret in making prayer in some special format that pleases God?
What do you think is the secret to answered prayer? What works (and does not work) for you?
Like many people, I've had some remarkable answered prayers.
But...I've also had a whole bunch of unanswered ones...

So...what are your keys to answered prayer?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,962,139 times
Yes of course our sin hinders our prayers. Just as Yahushua says, before you even go to the alter you need to forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against. That's just an example. Alot of times it's faith. Do you really believe? Also Yahushua said that we need to keep on knocking, seeking, and asking. This means that Yahua wants your commitment to prayer. And what are you praying for? Are your prayers selfish? Are you allways asking for yourself? These things play huge factor in answered prayer. Are you seeking the Kingdom first? All of this comes naturally if we are earnestly seeking God. According to the teachings of Yahushua and the rest of the Word of God any believer who is obeying the teachings of Yahushua and seeking Yahua with all thier heart, would never have to ask such a question. Don't take this personal, but it's just the facts. A believer who is obeying Yahushua will have the Holy Spirit, who teaches us these things and guides us into all truth. That's what the Holy Spirit does! If you are sincerly asking this question and don't know the answer then I would suggest you repent and cry out for the presence of Yahua in your life. Here is something that I wrote that was inspired by the Holy Spirit, and I hope it helps anyone who needs the answer to this question:

Seeds of Prayer
“The Scriptures declare, My Temple will be called a house of prayer”
(Matthew 21:13)

Prayer Outline: Reverence, Repentance, Thankfulness, Intercession, Personal Needs and Requests.

Reverence - A feeling of profound respect for someone or something; consider hallowed, or exalted, or be in awe of. When we come before God in prayer we must realize who it is were speaking to and humble ourselves before him. He is the Almighty God, our creator, and the very reason of our existence. He is a Holy God.

Repentance - Forgive anyone you may have hard feelings against. In order for our prayers to be effective we must ask God for forgiveness of our sins. Ask God to reveal to you the things you’ve done or thought that offends his Holy Spirit and plead the Blood of the Lamb over your life. Make a wholehearted commitment to repent (stop, turn around) of doing these things. This is very critical in order to have an effective prayer life. Once you do this, you can come into the Holy of Holies, and sense the very presence of God.

Thankfulness - “Come into His presence with Thanksgiving”. Thank God for all of his wonderful blessings. These blessings are too many to count and there’s no way you can remember all of them but there are some that should be constantly remembered daily.

Intercession - The act of interceding or offering prayer to God on behalf of others. Of course there are many people who need to be prayed for but God will put specific people on your mind who need specific prayer. For example: “honor your father and mother” along with other family members as well as your specific house, church, city, or state. Plead the Blood of the Lamb over their life. Cry out to God for his grace, mercy, and forgiveness of their sins. Bind Satan from their life and pray for their specific needs and anything the Spirit leads you to pray for.

Personal Needs - Once you have prayed unselfishly, then begin to cry out to God for your personal needs. Examples of needs would be: insight, understanding, knowledge, revelation, wisdom, discernment, faith, deliverance, anointing of the Holy Spirit, Holiness, and a deep hunger and thirst for God and his righteousness. Also you may need to pray for a job or whatever other requests you may have. Seek the kingdom of God first and His righteousness and all those other things will be added. That’s a promise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let Us Pray: (prayer outline - copy and paste if you want for your morning devotion. It's only a guideline I use and it's important to not get so repeticious. Be creative in your prayer life as you are a created being with the ability to communicate with your creator)

Reverence

Repentance

Thankfulness:

Jesus Christ, The Lamb of God (thank of the great sacrifice he made for us and all he suffered)
Relationship with the Father (because of the Lamb)
Holy Spirit (holiness, peace, conviction of sin, remembrance and teaching of God’s Word)
Word of God (Ten Commandments, teachings of Christ, etc.)
Life (He created us and we exist because of Him)
Health (spiritual and physical)
Present situation (housing, food, brothers and sisters, job, etc.)

Intercession (write specific names and requests here):

Brothers and sisters in Christ / Church
Your parents

Specific state or residential area, political leaders, public servants, and citizens.

Personal Needs / Requests:

Holy Spirit, intense and earnest desire to love and obey God, deeper revelation of God, insight and understanding, wisdom, discernment, faith, deliverance, anointing to witness, God’s perfect will for your life, and love for your neighbor/everyone. Be a servant.

etc.

Last edited by O-Ducky; 02-07-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Yes of course our sin hinders our prayers. Just as Yahushua says, before you even go to the alter you need to forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against. That's just an example. Alot of times it's faith. Do you really believe? Also Yahushua said that we need to keep on knocking, seeking, and asking. This means that Yahua wants your commitment to prayer. And what are you praying for? Are your prayers selfish? Are you allways asking for yourself? These things play huge factor in answered prayer. Are you seeking the Kingdom first? All of this comes naturally if we are earnestly seeking God. According to the teachings of Yahushua and the rest of the Word of God any believer who is obeying the teachings of Yahushua and seeking Yahua with all thier heart, would never have to ask such a question. Don't take this personal, but it's just the facts. A believer who is obeying Yahushua will have the Holy Spirit, who teaches us these things and guides us into all truth. That's what the Holy Spirit does! If you are sincerly asking this question and don't know the answer then I would suggest you repent and cry out for the presence of Yahua in your life. Here is something that I wrote that was inspired by the Holy Spirit, and I hope it helps anyone who needs the answer to this question:

Seeds of Prayer
“The Scriptures declare, My Temple will be called a house of prayerâ€
(Matthew 21:13)

Prayer Outline: Reverence, Repentance, Thankfulness, Intercession, Personal Needs and Requests.

Reverence - A feeling of profound respect for someone or something; consider hallowed, or exalted, or be in awe of. When we come before God in prayer we must realize who it is were speaking to and humble ourselves before him. He is the Almighty God, our creator, and the very reason of our existence. He is a Holy God.

Repentance - Forgive anyone you may have hard feelings against. In order for our prayers to be effective we must ask God for forgiveness of our sins. Ask God to reveal to you the things you’ve done or thought that offends his Holy Spirit and plead the Blood of the Lamb over your life. Make a wholehearted commitment to repent (stop, turn around) of doing these things. This is very critical in order to have an effective prayer life. Once you do this, you can come into the Holy of Holies, and sense the very presence of God.

Thankfulness - “Come into His presence with Thanksgivingâ€. Thank God for all of his wonderful blessings. These blessings are too many to count and there’s no way you can remember all of them but there are some that should be constantly remembered daily.

Intercession - The act of interceding or offering prayer to God on behalf of others. Of course there are many people who need to be prayed for but God will put specific people on your mind who need specific prayer. For example: “honor your father and mother†along with other family members as well as your specific house, church, city, or state. Plead the Blood of the Lamb over their life. Cry out to God for his grace, mercy, and forgiveness of their sins. Bind Satan from their life and pray for their specific needs and anything the Spirit leads you to pray for.

Personal Needs - Once you have prayed unselfishly, then begin to cry out to God for your personal needs. Examples of needs would be: insight, understanding, knowledge, revelation, wisdom, discernment, faith, deliverance, anointing of the Holy Spirit, Holiness, and a deep hunger and thirst for God and his righteousness. Also you may need to pray for a job or whatever other requests you may have. Seek the kingdom of God first and His righteousness and all those other things will be added. That’s a promise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let Us Pray: (prayer outline - copy and paste if you want for your morning devotion. It's only a guideline I use and it's important to not get so repeticious. Be creative in your prayer life as you are a created being with the ability to communicate with your creator)

Reverence

Repentance

Thankfulness:

Jesus Christ, The Lamb of God (thank of the great sacrifice he made for us and all he suffered)
Relationship with the Father (because of the Lamb)
Holy Spirit (holiness, peace, conviction of sin, remembrance and teaching of God’s Word)
Word of God (Ten Commandments, teachings of Christ, etc.)
Life (He created us and we exist because of Him)
Health (spiritual and physical)
Present situation (housing, food, brothers and sisters, job, etc.)

Intercession (write specific names and requests here):

Brothers and sisters in Christ / Church
Your parents

Specific state or residential area, political leaders, public servants, and citizens.

Personal Needs / Requests:

Holy Spirit, intense and earnest desire to love and obey God, deeper revelation of God, insight and understanding, wisdom, discernment, faith, deliverance, anointing to witness, God’s perfect will for your life, and love for your neighbor/everyone. Be a servant.

etc.

I like your prayer outline O-Ducky! I never thought about following an outline like that, but it might be good to practice prayer that way. I wasn't asking any specific questions for myself, but just kind of thinking up some that I thought others might be asking. Anyway, I like your reply!

Bud

Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I thought I'd start a thread on "secrets to answered prayer". Do you have a "secret" to getting answers from God, vs "nothing", to prayers you make? Can you barter with God? (Like: God, I promise to do such-and-such, if only you'll answer this prayer) Is the secret getting rid of all sin in your life? Is the secret in making prayer in some special format that pleases God?
What do you think is the secret to answered prayer? What works (and does not work) for you?

Bud
I am a firm believer in that all prayer is answered regardless if we see the results or not.....

I believe that the key is Thankfulness, Thanksgiving !!
Continuously praising Him with a heart of thanksgiving in all our circumstances.
Pray for all things without ceasing.... even when our prayer's do not seem to be heard or answered, Praise Him !!..... When our circumstances are bad or good, Praise Him !!

"Thanksgiving helps to establish our focus on Him so that our awareness shifts from earthly reality to heavenly reality - which we must do in order to release the strength of Heaven into our circumstances. - Bill Johnson"

With a sincere thankfulness, rejoicing that He has begun to move and already answering prayer in lives or some difficult situations because He has laid it on your heart to pray, interceding for whomever or whatever, regardless if we see the answer of it or not, He is answering !!
What a great privilege and honor to stand in the gap for another.... the blessing that comes watching and knowing the Holy Spirit move in that life or situation !!

I believe the mistake we often make is when one makes prayer a formula. Let it always be fresh, not mechanical. Let the Spirit lead you each time, how to pray and what to pray for..... Amen !!

"Our praying needs to be pressed and pursued with an energy that never tires, a persistence which will not be denied, and a courage which never fails. - E. M. Bounds"

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. - James 5:16

Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:

Bud
May I ask why you think it's even possible to get rid of all sin in your life? If you could do that, you'd have no need for a Savior: You could save yourself.

If you think the result of correct prayer will be that you quit sinning altogether, you're going to be disappointed as the flesh will not quit wrestling with the Spirit until after you're dead.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:00 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
I guess to pray with the intention of having GOD'S will be done,not yours.Which means you realize your prayer may not be answered.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
May I ask why you think it's even possible to get rid of all sin in your life? If you could do that, you'd have no need for a Savior: You could save yourself.

If you think the result of correct prayer will be that you quit sinning altogether, you're going to be disappointed as the flesh will not quit wrestling with the Spirit until after you're dead.

Here Yahushua gives us the key to walking in the Spirit. He says the way to walk in the Spirit is continuosly crying out to God. It is important to make sure we are not sleeping when He returns.

Matthew 26

40 Then he returned to the disciples and found them asleep. He said to Peter, “Couldn’t you watch with me even one hour? 41 Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak!”

So yes, of course the result of correct prayer is quiting sinning - according to God anyway.

If you read 1st John chapter three you will find the results of a disciple who finally figured this out.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I like your prayer outline O-Ducky! I never thought about following an outline like that, but it might be good to practice prayer that way. I wasn't asking any specific questions for myself, but just kind of thinking up some that I thought others might be asking. Anyway, I like your reply!

Bud

Hey thanks Bud! Thanks for understanding and not getting defensive. Of course I wasn't meaning anything personal.

Sometimes speaking the truth offends people. Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

I don't. I was only writing some plausible reasons some people might use to obtain answered prayer...and not necessarily a reflection of what I personally believe. I do think we can get rid of many sins in our lives, but getting rid of all of it is a hugely daunting task since some of it is probably unknown to us...

Bud

Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
I don't. I was only writing some plausible reasons some people might use to obtain answered prayer...and not necessarily a reflection of what I personally believe. I do think we can get rid of many sins in our lives, but getting rid of all of it is a hugely daunting task since some of it is probably unknown to us...

Bud
Ok, I'm sorry I misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity