Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 02:41 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,455,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That's like saying "an eternal age."
It is a contradiction in terms.
How is this so when αἰώνων is referred to God's glory, His kingdom, that continues forever?

Revelation 15:7 καὶ ἓν ἐκ τῶν τεσσάρων ζῴων ἔδωκεν τοῖς ἑπτὰ ἀγγέλοις ἑπτὰ φιάλας χρυσᾶς γεμούσας τοῦ θυμοῦ τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ ζῶντος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων.

One of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God, who lives forever and ever.

Thee are many more....follow the link

Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,031,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
How is this so when αἰώνων is referred to God's glory, His kingdom, that continues forever?

Revelation 15:7 καὶ ἓν ἐκ τῶν τεσσάρων ζῴων ἔδωκεν τοῖς ἑπτὰ ἀγγέλοις ἑπτὰ φιάλας χρυσᾶς γεμούσας τοῦ θυμοῦ τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ ζῶντος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων.

One of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God, who lives forever and ever.

Thee are many more....follow the link
Your translation is not in harmony with the Greek nor the Greek grammar in Revelation 15:7 above.

First of all "forever" is plural and "ever" is plural and the second "ever" with the definite article is in the Genitive case which is possessive and so, if you are going to use "for ever and ever" it would have to be "for the evers of the evers."

So, that being the case, God would live for the evers of the evers. There are two evers to come after the ever in which we now are living ends. I know, I know, you are a Preterist and don't believe these things.

So to put it more grammatically correct it would be better to say "God, who lives for the ages of the ages" or "God Who lives for the eons of the eons." He is not going to die like some will during the eons or ages to come. That's a good thing. He is going to be living and taking care of things. When the eons or ages end He is going to keep on living too because He is immortal.

His glory is pertaining to the eons or ages as is His kingdom. When the ages end, and the bible says they will, I'm sure He will still get glory. Don't you think? Do you think He will get glory after this week ends? or after this month ends? or after this year, this decade, this century ends?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Your translation is not in harmony with the Greek nor the Greek grammar in Revelation 15:7 above.

First of all "forever" is plural and "ever" is plural and the second "ever" with the definite article is in the Genitive case which is possessive and so, if you are going to use "for ever and ever" it would have to be "for the evers of the evers."

So, that being the case, God would live for the evers of the evers. There are two evers to come after the ever in which we now are living ends. I know, I know, you are a Preterist and don't believe these things.

So to put it more grammatically correct it would be better to say "God, who lives for the ages of the ages" or "God Who lives for the eons of the eons." He is not going to die like some will during the eons or ages to come. That's a good thing. He is going to be living and taking care of things. When the eons or ages end He is going to keep on living too because He is immortal.

His glory is pertaining to the eons or ages as is His kingdom. When the ages end, and the bible says they will, I'm sure He will still get glory. Don't you think? Do you think He will get glory after this week ends? or after this month ends? or after this year, this decade, this century ends?
I am sorry Eusebius but you are highly mistaken...however, you identified the adjective properly, you just interpreted it via presupposition. Whatever hoop you want to jump through, it is your choice, however, the adjective is describing an unending period of time...or in other words...for ages and ages....always...keep it simple...the writers did.
Your beef is with them, not me.

He already got His glory...through Christ.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,638,322 times
Quote:
Everyone is steeped in doctrine.
But not all are steeped in religious doctrine or "Christian" dogma. I guess if you can classify AGAPE as a "doctrine" (and in a sense it can be) then I'll have to agree with you. (just this once ).

Old 03-07-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
But not all are steeped in religious doctrine or "Christian" dogma. I guess if you can classify AGAPE as a "doctrine" (and in a sense it can be) then I'll have to agree with you. (just this once ).
I would say that is the most important doctrine..yes...apart from belief in the resurrection, but by that, we can become steeped in AGAPE

Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I am sorry Eusebius
O.K. I'll forgive you once again till 70 x 7 a day!

Quote:
but you are highly mistaken
"highly mistaken" or "lowly mistaken"? Or just "mistaken"? Is there a difference? Is one more mistaken than mistaken?

Quote:
...however, you identified the adjective properly, you just interpreted it via presupposition.
The phrase "eons of the eons" or "for the evers of the evers" both are plural nouns so there is no adjective to identify in that phrase.

Tell me sciota, if a "for ever" or "forever" is eternity, how can one ever end for another ever to replace it? And how it is the Bible says all the evers end if "for ever" is "eternal"?

Quote:
Whatever hoop you want to jump through, it is your choice, however, the adjective is describing an unending period of time...or in other words...for ages and ages....always...keep it simple...the writers did.
Again, there is no adjective in "for ages and ages". Also, I notice you changed "for the ages OF the ages" to "for ages and ages." The Greek does not support that phrase. It is in the genitive case, remember?

Tell me sciota, when the Bible states "Jesus lives for a thousand years" in Revelation 20:4, do you think Jesus is going to automatically die when the thousand years ends? _______ yes ________no

And if you believe the answer is "no" above, why would you think God's glory is going to end when the final two eons or ages end?

We believers who get eonian life which is the life pertaining to the eons, we don't automatically die when the eons or ages end either. Why? Because we will put on immortality.

So you see, eonian does not have to mean "eternity" for us to keep on living or for God's glory to be endless.

Here is a handy little chart detailing "for ever and ever":

A Chart of the Judgments

Quote:
On that I agree.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Eusebius,

Can we expand on this conversation here...I think it is more in line with the OP...thanks brother.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM

sciota could you answer my questions I put forth prior to your last post here?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
sciota could you answer my questions I put forth prior to your last post here?
I guess, but I thought it would be beneficial for the other thread, but I will, as you request. I will start with a question, which I will answer.

What is the root meaning of the word nice?

It is ignorant.

What is the root meaning of the word forever?

It is age.

Capice?

Universalism is based on root fallacy.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,788,593 times
Quote:
I am sorry Eusebius but you are highly mistaken...however, you identified the adjective properly, you just interpreted it via presupposition. Whatever hoop you want to jump through, it is your choice, however, the adjective is describing an unending period of time...or in other words...for ages and ages....always...keep it simple...the writers did.

I don't think that he is mistaken at all, but i think that it is you who are the one who is jumping through hoops ... Those verses are not describing an unending period of time, they are describing very specific periods(plural) of time, something which you deny and i believe unreasonably so ... I believe that it is you who seeks to perpetuate the deceptions that the traditions of men have used for hundreds of years. However, we can always just put a new spin on it ...

I believe that it is from these violent and elitist traditions that you take your authority, and that those traditions and the men and women who have always adored them, like you, are woefully mistaken ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 03-08-2011 at 02:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity