Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Romans 10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 2:21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved

Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Thoughts?
God can differentiate when we CALL or call upon His name, His name is taken in vain so much that He had to elaborate a little more on it. How many times does a person go to the alter to "get Saved?"
All it takes is once with sincerity but those who use it as a get out of jail card have sealed their fate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 07:24 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthchills View Post
God can differentiate when we CALL or call upon His name, His name is taken in vain so much that He had to elaborate a little more on it. How many times does a person go to the alter to "get Saved?"
All it takes is once with sincerity but those who use it as a get out of jail card have sealed their fate
Seems to me the Pharisees were sincere but their religious sincerity did Not save them.
Also, seems as if Jesus is saying ' more than once ' at Matthew 24:13
One must endure to the end in order to be saved ( delivered / rescued )
Endure to the end of one's life, or faithfully endure alive to the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth - Matthew 25:31-33,37.
Meaning the figurative humble meek ' sheep ' can remain alive to be ' saved/delivered/rescued ' through the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14,9 to be here to see calendar Day One of Jesus coming 1,000-year governmental reign over Earth.

Old 11-01-2020, 04:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Seems to me the Pharisees were sincere but their religious sincerity did Not save them.
Also, seems as if Jesus is saying ' more than once ' at Matthew 24:13
One must endure to the end in order to be saved ( delivered / rescued )
Endure to the end of one's life, or faithfully endure alive to the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth - Matthew 25:31-33,37.
Meaning the figurative humble meek ' sheep ' can remain alive to be ' saved/delivered/rescued ' through the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14,9 to be here to see calendar Day One of Jesus coming 1,000-year governmental reign over Earth.
What a bunch of nonsense that man has created from his own imagination to control the timid or fearful.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:01 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,924,279 times
Quote:
Romans 10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 2:21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved

Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Thoughts?
I understand that to be a matter of the genuineness of the heart. In Matthew 7, the ones who are saying "Lord, Lord" are all talk but do not have a sincere trust and belief in Jesus. Romans and Acts are indicating those that do.

This is related to something I was considering about my mom. She definitely does not have the same doctrinal beliefs as I do, yet she says she believes in Jesus for salvation. I know she has a high regard for the Lord by the way she acts and speaks. So I was pondering this and my concern for her salvation as Jesus does say some specific things regarding those who will be called into the Kingdom (such as the verse above in Matthew 7).

In another part of the Bible, Jesus says that he will turn no one away who comes to him. The Bible teaches us that all sins are forgiven in Jesus. Yet Jesus also says that there is one sin that will not be forgiven, that is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. In my anguish over my family members and others who do not share the same doctrinal beliefs as I do, I feel that the Lord is showing me that he does not give everyone the same understanding of the Bible (as I said somewhere else, some things there are quite difficult to understand). But should someone have a sincere trust in Jesus (even if is on their deathbed), if they turn to the Lord he will not turn them away.

I feel that the doctrinal beliefs that the Lord has given me to understand are a precious gift from him, so that I can come to a better understanding of the person of God and his attributes and have a strong faith that can stand unshaken by questions from science or other religions. Yet God has not given everyone to understand his word in this way; to some he has given a different measure and to some a very minimal faith. Jesus said if you have the faith the size of a mustard seed (very, very small faith) you can move mountains. Jesus was basically saying you can do the impossible. If we consider this statement of our Lord, even with enough human industry you really can move a mountain; it may take a while, but look at the pyramids, basically huge mounds of earth. But the impossible is bringing a dead spiritual body back to life. Only God can do that. And if someone calls on the name of Jesus in genuine faith, the impossible will be done.

So I have much comfort in my mom's salvation and others who may not believe in the same things I do but have a sincere faith in Jesus.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:41 PM

3,061 posts, read 913,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I understand that to be a matter of the genuineness of the heart. In Matthew 7, the ones who are saying "Lord, Lord" are all talk but do not have a sincere trust and belief in Jesus. Romans and Acts are indicating those that do.

This is related to something I was considering about my mom. She definitely does not have the same doctrinal beliefs as I do, yet she says she believes in Jesus for salvation. I know she has a high regard for the Lord by the way she acts and speaks. So I was pondering this and my concern for her salvation as Jesus does say some specific things regarding those who will be called into the Kingdom (such as the verse above in Matthew 7).

In another part of the Bible, Jesus says that he will turn no one away who comes to him. The Bible teaches us that all sins are forgiven in Jesus. Yet Jesus also says that there is one sin that will not be forgiven, that is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. In my anguish over my family members and others who do not share the same doctrinal beliefs as I do, I feel that the Lord is showing me that he does not give everyone the same understanding of the Bible (as I said somewhere else, some things there are quite difficult to understand). But should someone have a sincere trust in Jesus (even if is on their deathbed), if they turn to the Lord he will not turn them away.

I feel that the doctrinal beliefs that the Lord has given me to understand are a precious gift from him, so that I can come to a better understanding of the person of God and his attributes and have a strong faith that can stand unshaken by questions from science or other religions. Yet God has not given everyone to understand his word in this way; to some he has given a different measure and to some a very minimal faith. Jesus said if you have the faith the size of a mustard seed (very, very small faith) you can move mountains. Jesus was basically saying you can do the impossible. If we consider this statement of our Lord, even with enough human industry you really can move a mountain; it may take a while, but look at the pyramids, basically huge mounds of earth. But the impossible is bringing a dead spiritual body back to life. Only God can do that. And if someone calls on the name of Jesus in genuine faith, the impossible will be done.

So I have much comfort in my mom's salvation and others who may not believe in the same things I do but have a sincere faith in Jesus.
Hebrews 6: For how can those who abandon their faith be brought back to repent again? They were once in God's light; they tasted heaven's gift and received their share of the Holy Spirit; 5they knew from experience that God's word is good, and they had felt the powers of the coming age. 6And then they abandoned their faith! It is impossible to bring them back to repent again, because they are again crucifying the Son of God and exposing him to public shame.

They can call Lord, Lord from here to god come Sunday, their voice will not be heard.

Ezekiel 18: 21; “If an evil person stops sinning and keeps my laws, if he does what is right and good, he will not die; he will certainly live. 22All his sins will be forgiven, and he will live, because he did what is right. 23Do you think I enjoy seeing an evil person die?” asks the Sovereign LORD. “No, I would rather see him repent and live.

24“But if a righteous person stops doing good and starts doing all the evil, disgusting things that evil people do, will he go on living? No! None of the good he did will be remembered. He will die because of his unfaithfulness and his sins.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:21 AM

45 posts, read 25,925 times
Quote:
Romans 10:13 "calls on"
Acts 2:21 "calls on"

Thoughts?
First two verses you showed that translated Greek to English or so of "calls on" is more of "call upon, appeal to, [or] address" meanings than "call on." To me, both saying those who address Lord as spread the Good News acting of following Lord's teaching, which means does the will of Lord's ways. Bibles that translated from Greek got a lot of work to revises its to correctly translated.

I used interlinear, aka "interlin" button, on biblehub.com to check the grammar and it own meaning before translated to English.

Last edited by PodPearse; 11-03-2020 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: proof reading

Old 12-31-2020, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 334 times
I found this thread doing some research for a Youtube channel I want to spin up about Christianity.
I didn't read through all of the pages (sorry!), but I did read some of the thoughts on the first page and then cracked open my MacArthur study bible (NAS version).

After reading his notes on Matt 7:21 then reading the greater context of Matt 7, I think the difference is this: Romans and Acts talks about "calling upon" the Lord, after realizing our sin has tainted us from heavenly access and only through Christ can be be saved. Matthew, if you note, has Jesus saying "Not everyone who *says* to me 'Lord, Lord'", which may imply a different context of "calling out to" vs "calling upon".

These people are not calling upon the Lord in the sense of being desperate for a savior, but they're calling out to the Lord because they want into heaven. Then, they basically give Jesus their resume by saying they cast out demons, prophesied, and did miracles in His name (v 22). Jesus, though, called them practioners of lawlessness (sin) in v 23.

In essence -- the people of Matt 7:21 are doing things in the name of Jesus, but only superficially. Perhaps for gain or fame. But, they never really thought of Jesus as their Lord and savior because they continued to live in sin (v. 23) -- perhaps thinking that God was 'okay' with their behavior because they also preached in Jesus' name (or whatever).

When you look at Matt 7:15-19 and the context of good trees and bad trees and their fruits, honestly Matt 7:21-23 sounds like an unrepentant preacher who YES may have preached to millions about Christ, but who also continually lived a life of sin and never truly repented - they were never desperate for a savior but instead relied on their own accomplishments. So, because they didn't repent and realize Jesus was their only hope of salvation, they try to persuade Jesus through their resume in v. 22 -- but Jesus knew their heart and therefore they didn't enter the kingdom.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:12 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cputeq View Post
I found this thread doing some research for a Youtube channel I want to spin up about Christianity.
I didn't read through all of the pages (sorry!), but I did read some of the thoughts on the first page and then cracked open my MacArthur study bible (NAS version).

After reading his notes on Matt 7:21 then reading the greater context of Matt 7, I think the difference is this: Romans and Acts talks about "calling upon" the Lord, after realizing our sin has tainted us from heavenly access and only through Christ can be be saved. Matthew, if you note, has Jesus saying "Not everyone who *says* to me 'Lord, Lord'", which may imply a different context of "calling out to" vs "calling upon".

These people are not calling upon the Lord in the sense of being desperate for a savior, but they're calling out to the Lord because they want into heaven. Then, they basically give Jesus their resume by saying they cast out demons, prophesied, and did miracles in His name (v 22). Jesus, though, called them practioners of lawlessness (sin) in v 23.

In essence -- the people of Matt 7:21 are doing things in the name of Jesus, but only superficially. Perhaps for gain or fame. But, they never really thought of Jesus as their Lord and savior because they continued to live in sin (v. 23) -- perhaps thinking that God was 'okay' with their behavior because they also preached in Jesus' name (or whatever).

When you look at Matt 7:15-19 and the context of good trees and bad trees and their fruits, honestly Matt 7:21-23 sounds like an unrepentant preacher who YES may have preached to millions about Christ, but who also continually lived a life of sin and never truly repented - they were never desperate for a savior but instead relied on their own accomplishments. So, because they didn't repent and realize Jesus was their only hope of salvation, they try to persuade Jesus through their resume in v. 22 -- but Jesus knew their heart and therefore they didn't enter the kingdom.
Like the difference between actually Repenting and having a change of heart vs doing a job to be paid?

I would agree

Old 01-01-2021, 10:15 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Like the difference between actually Repenting and having a change of heart vs doing a job to be paid?

I would agree
Which is all G-d really requires of you...

Old 01-01-2021, 12:35 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Which is all G-d really requires of you...
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity