Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We need to be born both of water and of the spirit. I hope you're not going to tell us that being born of water has to do with amniotic fluid or something like that -- in other words being born period.
Actually that is exactly what Christ refers to, Katz . . . only the amniotic fluid is around the brain. In any case Jesus is talking about actual rebirth as Spirit.
Quote:
The scriptures speak of being born to a woman as being "born of flesh." They speak of being born of water as being baptized. They speak of being born of spirit as receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.
The bold references to being born are not presented as such anywhere in the bible. They are your inferences or "precepts and doctrines of men." The only reference is by Jesus that which is actually "born of the flesh is flesh" . . . and that which is "born of spirit is spirit." I have not met anyone who qualifies as being born of Spirit since they are still flesh. I can only assume your bold interpretations or inferences are from extra-biblical sources. So . . . if we are using extra-biblical sources . . . They speak of magicadoola midgicaboola bibbitty bobbity boo as receiving the gown, glass slippers, and elegant Coach and Four to go to the Ball. So what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually that is exactly what Christ refers to, Katz . . . only the amniotic fluid is around the brain. In any case Jesus is talking about actual rebirth as Spirit. The bold references to being born are not presented as such anywhere in the bible. They are your inferences or "precepts and doctrines of men." The only reference is by Jesus that which is actually "born of the flesh is flesh" . . . and that which is "born of spirit is spirit." I have not met anyone who qualifies as being born of Spirit since they are still flesh. I can only assume your bold interpretations or inferences are from extra-biblical sources. So . . . if we are using extra-biblical sources . . . They speak of magicadoola midgicaboola bibbitty bobbity boo as receiving the gown, glass slippers, and elegant Coach and Four to go to the Ball. So what's your point?
You will never, ever convince me that the multiple mentions of baptism in the New Testament are not related to baptism by water. Jesus Christ Himself was baptized by water; He insisted upon it. His Apostles laid their hands on believers and confirmed upon them the gift of the Holy Ghost -- after they had received baptism by water. There is absolutely no need for extra-biblical sources to confirm this. If there were, I'd probably be the only person on the forum who was insisting that water baptism is required of us.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,976 times
Quote:
We need to be born both of water and of the spirit. I hope you're not going to tell us that being born of water has to do with amniotic fluid or something like that -- in other words being born period. The scriptures speak of being born to a woman as being "born of flesh." They speak of being born of water as being baptized. They speak of being born of spirit as receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.
As I pointed out in my post, water baptism isn't necessary for salvation however, if it's something your religion teaches then by all means go for it. I'm not telling anyone not to do it, I was merely pointing out why Jesus did it. We have a few messages from Him and other Celestials pertaining to this. No worries. Just like Jesus, I'm only here to spread the love.

“It is enough. I have told you much of the Love of God. And you should understand that it is not that water of the river which purifies men. Why do you wash the outside of the cup? Don't you understand that the one who made the inside is also the one who made the outside?”

When he saw our confused glances, our lack of comprehension, he continued: "The hypocrites wash clean the outside of the cup or dish, while within they are full of greed and self-indulgence. When you have to drink from a cup that is clean outside but dirty within, you feel disgust and get sick. Therefore, clean first what is within. The one who made our bodies has given us everything we need to become clean outwardly, and the one who made our souls, has also given us everything we need to become clean inside."

Read the rest here: http://new-birth.net/contemporary/hr116.htm

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
“It is enough. I have told you much of the Love of God. And you should understand that it is not that water of the river which purifies men. Why do you wash the outside of the cup? Don't you understand that the one who made the inside is also the one who made the outside?â€

When he saw our confused glances, our lack of comprehension, he continued: "The hypocrites wash clean the outside of the cup or dish, while within they are full of greed and self-indulgence. When you have to drink from a cup that is clean outside but dirty within, you feel disgust and get sick. Therefore, clean first what is within. The one who made our bodies has given us everything we need to become clean outwardly, and the one who made our souls, has also given us everything we need to become clean inside."

Beautiful. Thanks for posting that.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
As I pointed out in my post, water baptism isn't necessary for salvation...
I know you did. I pointed out in my posts that it is. So I guess this is something we're going to have to agree to disagree on. Neither of us is likely to change our mind.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:43 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,276,055 times
Quote:
Okay, katie, could you explain why the baptizer even needs to be a Christian. If any Christian dunking someone under water has the same effect, why not any non-Christian who is willing to do the same thing? If the person is immersed, what's the difference really?
Actually Katz I don't think it matters. It would be my personal preference though to have christians share that time with me. I'll ask you again, where in scripture does it give qualifications or characteristics of the baptizer? I notice you have avoided the question 3-4 times now.

Kate

Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,276,055 times
Quote:
I know you did. I pointed out in my posts that it is. So I guess this is something we're going to have to agree to disagree on. Neither of us is likely to change our mind.
You are 100% correct.
Who should we believe? Jesus or Rev1111?
Jesus said he who believes an is baptized will be saved Mk 16:166

Old 05-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
No worries, Kat. God will love us either way.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
You are 100% correct.
Who should we believe? Jesus or Rev1111?
Jesus said he who believes an is baptized will be saved Mk 16:166
I don't make people believe in what I post on this forum. It's not my job to sway someone just because I believe differently. Our truths are our own. What I posted is based on what Jesus said in a message to our church member and I am merely reiterating. Water baptism won't hurt anyone if they choose to do it. Personally, I've never been baptised by water however, I have been baptist with the Holy Spirit.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Actually Katz I don't think it matters. It would be my personal preference though to have christians share that time with me. I'll ask you again, where in scripture does it give qualifications or characteristics of the baptizer? I notice you have avoided the question 3-4 times now.
Well, I didn't see the question 3 or 4 times now, katie. I don't believe it specifically says. You take that to mean that any Christian has the authority to baptize. I don't believe that is the case. From the very beginning, God has authorized certain individuals to be His spokesmen and certain individuals to perform certain functions. I will try to find some more specific references to support my belief. Meanwhile, I don't believe you have come up with anything scriptural to support your position either. Maybe you could work on that while I do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity