Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,965 times

Advertisements

What is the meaning/purpose behind baptism? Also, is this a "personal" view or one that is practiced in your church? Also, can a person be baptised multiple times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,716 times
To me, baptism is a way of publicly announcing your decision to follow Christ. In my church people are baptized after accapting the Lord. There is much to the symbolism of baptism. It can symbolize dying to one's sin (going under the water) and then rising to new life in Christ (coming back up out of the water).

I don't have a problem with people being baptized more than once, but to me it would be unneccesary unless someone had completely turned their back on God and then returned to their belief. In that case, it may serve a purpose. I've also heard of people visiting Israel and being baptized in the Jordan River even though they have already been baptized at church. Kind of a "touristy" thing in that case.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,980 times
I have always believed that baptizism it the symbol of what has happen to the life. It is done to represent a life that has changed!
That baptizism is the outward (public) confession of the inward change of the heart of repentance from sin, to following Christ Jesus who forgives us of our sin.
The immersing or sprinkling of water symbolized the cleansing and purification of the heart from sin.
That being baptized doesn't save us, it is the representation of the changed life, from death to life. A spiritual state.
I have seen individuals who at some time in their life went astray for a season and the Holy Spirit drew them back to the state of their commitment to Christ and the individual experience the conviction of being rebaptized.
Doing it over and over again I'm not to sure about that. Maybe someone else may have so knowledge of it.....
God Bless!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 01-16-2008 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Baptism

According to The Catechism Handbook:

Baptism is our entry into Christian life. Baptism comes from the Greek baptizein, meaning "to immerse" or "to plunge" into water. It symbolizes our participation in Christ's death and Resurrection. Being immersed or washed in water signifies the removal (the "death") of sin. Rising from the water symbolizes our rising to the new life of grace (C1213-1216).

Last edited by weatherologist; 01-16-2008 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
According to The Catechism Handbook:

Baptism is our entry into Christian life. Baptism comes from the Greek baptizein, meaning "to immerse" or "to plunge" into water. It symbolizes our participation in Christ's death and Resurrection. Being immersed or washed in water signifies the removel (the "death") of sin. Rising from the water symbolizes our rising to the new life of grace (C1213-1216).
I agree completely with what you have posted!!!
Lord Bless!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
I agree completely with what you have posted!!!
Lord Bless!
Funny, that's what I thought when I read your post.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM

21 posts, read 80,064 times
Lightbulb My two cents

Baptism is publicly identifiying oneself as being a follower of Christ. Christ tells his followers to get baptised and in the early church unlike today, people were baptised immediately following their descision to follow Christ by whomever led them to Christ. They were fully emersed in water to signify dying with Christ and then resurrecting with him. This is not a personal view or a view practiced by a Church but the view that's found in the Bible.

In Hebrews 6, Paul discourages the practice of going back to the basics over and over, including Baptism. Why anyway, would you need to be baptised again? Baptism in itself does not wash away sin, it is a symbolic act. Paul says that we should go on to perfection, i shall paraphrase that when you do fall away (whatever that means) you pick yourself up and instead to going back to the start of the race, continue from whence you left off.

Hope that helps

Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Quote:
What is the meaning/purpose behind baptism? Also, is this a "personal" view or one that is practiced in your church? Also, can a person be baptised multiple times?
Baptism is following an example set by Christ..He had no need to be baptized since he WAS the Christ, but he did to show us that we should humbly, publicly and unashamedly show the world that we believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Him..

Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 AM

14 posts, read 37,146 times
Quote:
Ro 6:4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

According to the scripture baptism actually combines us with Christ in his death so that we can be raised with him. Essentially baptism into Jesus name is required for salvation. Not to say that if one became a Christian (whomsoever believeth John 3:16) and died before having a chance to be baptised that we would not be saved - rather, since we are instructed to do so how much trust (belief) can we really have in Christ if we think we know better?

There can be a reason for multiple baptisms:

Ac 19:4 Paul said, "John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus."
Ac 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.

When Paul was at Ephesus the believers there had been baptised but it was a baptism "of repentance". Baptism into the name of Jesus is a seperate event, the former is not required, the latter is.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
1 Peter 3:20-22 (NIV)
20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

Notice, the water symbolizes baptism, not baptism symbolizes a good conscience or pledge.
Baptism is one of the means of grace - God doing something for us, not we doing something for God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity