Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,232 times

Advertisements

is required to be saved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
Just FYI, I wanted to have my children baptized and so I called several churches and asked them if they would do it and everyone of them said ONLY if I became a member of their church. So, the bottom line is that while churches teach the importance of baptism, they will only do it for money, in the end . . . otherwise they would "save" children no matter what the situation of the parent . . .

Old 09-18-2011, 10:51 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe shall be damned.

Luke 7:50
Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Paul was inspired from God to write:

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

based on that......... Yes and no.

Yes because of Mark 16:16
  • Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved
No because of being damned, Jesus doesn't include baptized
  • but whoever does not believe shall be damned Mark 16:16
No because of Luke 7:50
No because of Ephesians 2:8

Old 09-18-2011, 11:14 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Do you believe that baptism
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunco58 View Post
is required to be saved?
Nope!!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,220 times
Yep.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
The bible says so. Were you baptised? Do you belong to a church? You must have some beliefs to worry about it?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times
People need to understand what baptism means spiritually, what it symbolizes. Do symbols save? No.

Everyone must go to the cross as well to follow Jesus. But what does that actually mean?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:57 AM

889 posts, read 825,899 times
Yes, and be baptized in the name of the Father, and Son, and Holy Spirit.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,250 times
Yes!

But it is not just symbolism. What is baptism? It is how the unsaved believers in God receives His Spirit IN them. It is the most essential part of our re-birth, how we are born of God, living WITH and IN God - while on earth and for eternity in Heaven - , IF we persevere and stay in the Faith.

Read Luke 1, Matthew 3 & 11 for starters. These chapters describe John the Baptist's birth, how he came to be, who he was, how he was already born with the Holy Spirit in him. Then read what his mission was - to prepare the Way for Jesus.

John 1:29-34: 29The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.”
32Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God.”

Matthew 3:11-18: "I [John the Baptist] baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He [Jesus Christ] will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”13Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.
16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Jesus taught his disciples
everything about Him and the way of our salvation, and just before He returned to the Father, He told them to go and make MORE disciples of EVERYONE - ALL NATIONS and baptize them in His Name. Why in His Name....Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Because those 3 "WHO'S" ARE the ONE BEING - GOD.

Matthew 28:16-20 16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said,“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the NAME of the FATHER and of the SON and of the HOLY SPIRIT, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, to the very end of the age.

1 John 5:1-12:
1Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
6This is the one who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7For there are three that testify: 8thea Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. 9We accept man’s testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

John 14:9-21

9Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip [Jesus' disciple], even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
15“If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever17the Spirit of truth [the Comforter - Holy Spirit]. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”

We receive the FULLNESS of God and His Kingdom when we are baptized! We receive the Father, the Son AND the Holy Spirit!

"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:24

"Amen! Praise and glory and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and strength be to our God for ever and ever. Amen!" Revelation 7:12

Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,962,139 times
Yahushua said it was a requirement. The Apostles said it was a requirement. It is a requirement. Yahushua's ministry began at the point of His baptism and He told John the Baptist, after John wanted to refuse His baptism, "we must do all that Elohim "requires". Yahushua also commanded the Apostles in the Great Commision to baptize the new disciples in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This is not a suggestion, but a clear requirement.

Can He save someone who wasn't baptized? Of course. With Elohim all things are possible. The thief on the cross next to Yahushua was probably not water baptized.

This is the whole problem. Today were living in a day and age where men are abandoning the teachings of the Messiah and we think it's ok since we only believe. Satan has robbed the gospel, not only of repentance, but the baptism of repentance. Here is the problem: We have the teachings of the Messiah right? It's clear right? If we have the knowledge of His teachings and we don't believe it and think it's ok because people who claim to be Christian say it's ok then we are in serious error. When you know what the Messiah said and you say anything that contradicts His teaching you are not saved!!! Believing in the Messiah without obeying Him means nothing. He is the Word of Elohim sent to us and in order for us to be saved, just like He said, the decisive issue is if we obey. When you know He says something but you don't agree with Him you are following MAN and this shows you are more interested in pleasing man rather than Elohim. Right now, you have His teachings and it's up to YOU, not your pastor, to listen to Him. The life of your soul is at stake here.

The baptism of repentance is POWERFULL!!! Peter even said it accually saves you. This is the point in your life where your EYES OPEN, because after a "true obedience" to the teachings of the Messiah, the Holy Spirit will come and live inside of you - Baptism of the Holy Spirit (which you must ask Elohim yourself for).

Elohim intentionally does things like this. He is still a Elohim who requires our reverence and obedience. We are to obey Him. This can be considered a test for us, not just a symbol. We are not our own god.

Most all people on the face of this earth have access to the teachings of the Messiah. There are very few people who don't. If your really wanting to repent and obey Yahushua the Messiah you will be studying for yourself and a question like this would not be necessary. Think about it. Who are you following? You have the teachings of the Messiah and if your really wanting to follow and obey Him you of course would not only be baptized for the remmission of your sins but you would also teach others to do the same. If you don't you are in seriuos error!!! You will definitely find out the truth no matter what. It may be too late, but you'll find out.

Don't be one of the five foolish virgins who weren't ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity