Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 PM

318 posts, read 263,098 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know exactly how to do a home-baptism? Is it the same for Protestants as Catholics? I have read that the person performing the baptism must be baptized himself, does it matter what denomination the person belongs to? Is one baptized into all communities if baptized, or do one chose which community\denomination\church one belongs to?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 04:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
The power of baptism rests in Jesus' promise (John 3:5,6; Titus 3:5,6; 1 Peter 3:21), not in the person doing the baptizing.
The how to is simply applying water with God's Word.

Does it matter .... yes.
There is only one true Christian baptism. Not all "communities" hold to the true Christian faith, despite having the name Jesus \ Jehovah in their name of the community.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans12 View Post
Does anyone know exactly how to do a home-baptism? Is it the same for Protestants as Catholics? I have read that the person performing the baptism must be baptized himself, does it matter what denomination the person belongs to? Is one baptized into all communities if baptized, or do one chose which community\denomination\church one belongs to? Thanks
Adult, infant, believer?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:17 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Does anyone know exactly how to do a home-baptism? Is it the same for Protestants as Catholics? I have read that the person performing the baptism must be baptized himself, does it matter what denomination the person belongs to? Is one baptized into all communities if baptized, or do one chose which community\denomination\church one belongs to?

Thanks
III. HOW IS THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM CELEBRATED?

Christian Initiation

1229 From the time of the apostles, becoming a Christian has been accomplished by a journey and initiation in several stages. This journey can be covered rapidly or slowly, but certain essential elements will always have to be present: proclamation of the Word, acceptance of the Gospel entailing conversion, profession of faith, Baptism itself, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and admission to Eucharistic communion.

1231 Where infant Baptism has become the form in which this sacrament is usually celebrated, it has become a single act encapsulating the preparatory stages of Christian initiation in a very abridged way.

1284 In case of necessity, any person can baptize provided that he have the intention of doing that which the Church does and provided that he pours water on the candidate's head while saying: "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

Any person can perform the baptism if there is an emergency. A Jew or even an Atheist could do the baptism.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
The person does not have to have no degree or something special. Just be a believer is Christ. In fact, you can baptize someone who has made the choice to be baptized.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:

Thanks

Are you planning a home baptism?

Actually, I do know how to "do a home baptism", since I am an inactive RN, we were taught quite a bit about this.

Most Christian sects, Protestant and Roman Catholic; baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

The exceptions are certain Jesus only and oneness Pentecostal sects who baptize in the name of Jesus only. United Pentecostal, for example.

Most mainline Protestant churches and the Roman Catholic Church baptize infants.

Other Protestant groups - Baptist, Assemblies of God etc. practice believers baptism, which is almost always by full immersion.

There are theological differences in what baptism means - is it a public profession of faith, as in the churches that practice believers baptism, or is some type of Grace conferred by the act.

In most Protestant churches and believer can baptize another person. In emergencies, any person can baptize an infant who is in danger of death. Hence, medical professionals are taught this.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Are you planning a home baptism?

Actually, I do know how to "do a home baptism", since I am an inactive RN, we were taught quite a bit about this.

Most Christian sects, Protestant and Roman Catholic; baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

The exceptions are certain Jesus only and oneness Pentecostal sects who baptize in the name of Jesus only. United Pentecostal, for example.

Most mainline Protestant churches and the Roman Catholic Church baptize infants.

Other Protestant groups - Baptist, Assemblies of God etc. practice believers baptism, which is almost always by full immersion.

There are theological differences in what baptism means - is it a public profession of faith, as in the churches that practice believers baptism, or is some type of Grace conferred by the act.

In most Protestant churches and believer can baptize another person. In emergencies, any person can baptize an infant who is in danger of death. Hence, medical professionals are taught this.
Maybe you can answer a question I have. I thought Catholic infants had to have parental or guardian approval before baptism plus assurance they'd be raised Catholic, unless there is no parent or guardian and the infant's life is at risk.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Maybe you can answer a question I have. I thought Catholic infants had to have parental or guardian approval before baptism plus assurance they'd be raised Catholic, unless there is no parent or guardian and the infant's life is at risk.

I'm not Catholic, but what I learned in nursing school, twenty years ago; was that it is imperative that an infant born to Catholic parents be baptized if there is a possibility of death before a priest is available.
I am referring to emergency baptisms, not optimal and planned events.

We were taught that if a Catholic was available, that was best. If not any Christian, and if not, anyone at all. The baptism was with water (poured, not sprinkled) and with the invocation of the Trinity.
If a leg or arm is amputated, it is also supposed to be baptized, in the case of a Roman Catholic.

Fortunately, in my nursing career, I never encountered these situations.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm not Catholic, but what I learned in nursing school, twenty years ago; was that it is imperative that an infant born to Catholic parents be baptized if there is a possibility of death before a priest is available.
I am referring to emergency baptisms, not optimal and planned events.

We were taught that if a Catholic was available, that was best. If not any Christian, and if not, anyone at all. The baptism was with water (poured, not sprinkled) and with the invocation of the Trinity.
If a leg or arm is amputated, it is also supposed to be baptized, in the case of a Roman Catholic.

Fortunately, in my nursing career, I never encountered these situations.
Thanks for answering.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 AM

318 posts, read 263,098 times
An adult, pastorALly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity