Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,093,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Even the most elementary lexicon disagrees with you.

<<*2850
2851. kolasis
2852*>>
correction
Original Word: κόλασις, εως, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: kolasis
Phonetic Spelling: (kol'-as-is)
Short Definition: chastisement, punishment
Definition: chastisement, punishment, torment, perhaps with the idea of deprivation.

Cognate: 2851 kólasis (from kolaphos, "a buffeting, a blow") – properly, punishment that "fits" (matches) the one punished (R. Trench); torment from living in the dread of upcoming judgment from shirking one's duty (cf. WS at 1 Jn 4:18).

Perfected love casts out tormenting fear (2851 /kólasis)

1 Jn 4:17,18: "17By this, love is perfected [brought to its higher stages] with us, so that we may continuously have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment [2851 /kólasis, "torment"], and the one who fears is not perfected in love."

How is eternal torment appropriate for un-eternal crimes? It is not, therefore this kolasis means imperceptible amount of correction. Just as eternal life means to know god and Jesus (John 17).

Perfect love (god) casts out all fear of torment (kolasis) because to love is to know god (eternal life). When you love one another you have no need of the law. It is written in your heart, mind, and actions.
From a biased source...So what's your point?....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
Strongs merely records how words were translated in the KJV.
That is it's function.

According to my Greek scholars, here is the true meaning of Greek words.
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
An Analytical Study of Words

Especially see the quotes by the many Greek scholars in chapters three and twelve of the above link.

Also check out the Greek scholars here
THE SCHOLARS CORNER THE CENTER FOR BIBLE STUDIES IN CHRISTIAN UNIVERSALISM
Scholar's Corner: The Center for Bible studies in Christian Universalism
And how were they translated?...From a fantasy manuscript?...

Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
And so, it's like I keep saying, the ET/UR debate will always get hopelessly bogged down in a stalemate with both sides claiming to have the most reliable Greek scholars.

That is why, IMO, there will never be a "final" ET/UR showdown.

If you think it glorifies God more to let us suffer forever, then you keep believing that.

But if you think it glorifies God more to eventually meet each fallen individual on the level of their greatest and deepest need which is a change in their stubborn will, then know that there is plenty of evidence that is what the Bible teaches that God is like. e.g.
UNIVERSAL SALVATION UNIVERSITY
Universal Salvation University
I do not depend on Greek scholars for MY info...I am able to deduce things myself without using biased sources....

Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,412,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Gotta love them Red letter boys....
So God stops loving us when we break one of His commandments?
I don't think so.
I think it means we enjoy the positive manifestations of God's love.

Kolasis aionion will be a negative manifestation of God's love in action.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
We have eternal life but not because of the word aionios.

While the first fruits of election, the remnant chosen by grace out of each generation, are enjoying eonian (age-during) life the non-elect will experience eonian (age-during) chastening (kolasis aionion).

Both eonian life and eonian chastening will come to an end when God's plans for the ages of time have been consummated.
When the eons collectively come to an end then eternity will continue with everyone saved from everything from which they need to be saved, including their stubborn will.

A snippet from
GOD’S PLAN FOR THE AGES OF TIME
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
"During the present wicked eon (Gal.1:4), Sin reigns, Satan who is said to be “the god of this eon” (2 Cor.4:4) blinds and deceives mankind,
and death swallows up the race (1 Cor.15:22). But notwithstanding, God is over all and is in supreme control.
He is the eonian God. In due time He will deliver the entire creation and bring good out of all the suffering mankind is called upon to
endure (Rom.8;18-23).
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.
Show me that exact phrasing in scripture....

Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 AM

Default And the end result, an opposite point of view

Quote:
I do not depend on Greek scholars for MY info...I am able to deduce things myself without using biased sources....
And the end result, like always, an opposite point of view.

AIÓN – AIÓNIOS
AIN -- AINIOS

Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
And the end result?
Opposite points of view.
AIÓN – AIÓNIOS
AIN -- AINIOS
And it is obvious that you prefer to believe the ones who mngs as did the JWs in order to come up with the New World translation...Because you are unable to handle the Truth, hence, your nervous breakdown...Instead of allowing yourself to be formed in Hawyaws image you have created a god in your own image....

Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
So God stops loving us when we break one of His commandments?
I don't think so.
I think it means we enjoy the positive manifestations of God's love.

Kolasis aionion will be a negative manifestation of God's love in action.
The red letter boys only take the words of Christ as Gospel...Hence the Red Leters...They dismiss the rest of the Bible...So, are therefore Legalistic to the extreme...

Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 AM

Lightbulb A "different" point of view of "the truth."

Quote:
And it is obvious that you prefer to believe the ones who mngs as did the JWs in order to come up with the New World translation...Because you are unable to handle the Truth, hence, your nervous breakdown...Instead of allowing yourself to be formed in Hawyaws image you have created a god in your own image....
A "different" point of view of "the truth."
UNIVERSAL SALVATION UNIVERSITY
Universal Salvation University

Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,379,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Perfected love casts out tormenting fear (2851 /kólasis)

1 Jn 4:17,18: "17By this, love is perfected [brought to its higher stages] with us, so that we may continuously have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment [2851 /kólasis, "torment"], and the one who fears is not perfected in love."

How is eternal torment appropriate for un-eternal crimes? It is not, therefore this kolasis means imperceptible amount of correction. Just as eternal life means to know god and Jesus (John 17).

Perfect love (god) casts out all fear of torment (kolasis) because to love is to know god (eternal life). When you love one another you have no need of the law. It is written in your heart, mind, and actions.
Beautiful words, Kat! And since ALL mankind returns to God at death, who is it who will not KNOW Him personally?!?!??

Praise God!

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity