Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 10:32 AM

531 posts, read 481,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi atomtkirk,

I agree with your blog entry, at least mostly. I agree that we ought to "audit" ourselves, and if we do, we "shouldn't be judged with the world."

Personally, I think the audit should be more regarding works towards others rather than how much we read the bible. "Study to shew thyself approved" has nothing to do with bible study. It means, "strive to shew thyself approved." Completely different meanings.

I don't disagree with the declaration in Romans 14 that we shall all "give account." I just think that those who will "enter in" may be a whole different crowd of people than what the church thinks is going in...

Blessings,
brian
Brian, you're all over the map here, dude!

okay... If you are a Christian... you are not in the world... you have been called out of the world. if you are judged with the world, then you have fallen away or never been a christian.

Next... what's the deal with picking on bible study in the blog entry. that was only one example of things we should audit ourselves about. did you think the blog entry was about bible study only? did you see all the other stuff we should be "auditing" ourselves about? Prayer? Love? Forgiving? Letting go of anger? Bringing others to Christ? showing people you are Christian as opposed to telling them? Being active in your walk with Christ?

why do you focus on reading the bible? Just wondering...

2 Timothy 2:15. read the whole verse.

Lastly, I'll tell you who is going to Heaven. He (or she) that doth the will of God. Period. I don't know any church that says these people are and these people aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I didn't say it was talking about reading. So, has the spiritual gift of knowledge ended? IMO, if you're reading the bible without spiritual knowledge, it might as well be just any other book.
i did not say you did. I used it as an example of a way of seeking knowledge.

There was a spiritual gift of knowledge.

it has ceased.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM

9,942 posts, read 1,316,119 times
Quote:
So has knowledge ended, too? I don't speak in tongues so that's not why I posted my comment. Katie said you can't pick and choose and then she did. Then you "chose" part of the verse above to believe (assuming you don't think knowledge has ended).

The topic I addressed was your comment regarding "picking and choosing," not about speaking in tongues.
Believe me Brian, I don't pick and choose scriptures. I believe all are inspired. I recognize speaking in tongues was for the early church for the purpose of confirming the word and spreading the gospel. I don't believe that tongue speaking is for today. We have the complete will of God revealed to us in His word.

Again, this is off topic. I'm trying to keep us away from unrelated subjects. Thanks,

Katie

Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 AM

9,942 posts, read 1,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Katie,

It probably appears that I'm doing both because it depends on what you're emphasing. I let scripture speak for itself, and the scriptures address many different types inherent struggles that are common in human nature but are opposite of each other... which are:
  • the works righteous person who is pointing to their efforts
  • the fruitless believer
At no time can a person have Jesus as some sort of co-saviour, meaning take credit for faith, tithe \ buy their way in, obey the law ect.
  • For this type of person, scriptures proclaim "by grace alone, faith alone, scripture alone"
  • Everything is prededicated on whether God see's faith
    • "without faith it is impossible to please God"
Yet God also looks at the life and searchs the heart.
  • God's looks at to whom \ what do you really trust
  • God looks at what your faith really reflect
    • a fruit tree that is fruitless is useless
God provides a list of what a obvious fruitless fruit tree looks like:
  • the sexually immoral
  • impurity and debauchery
    • "debauchery" ... Excessive indulgence of the appetites; especially, excessive indulgence of lust; intemperance; sensuality; habitual lewdness
  • idolatry and witchcraft
  • hatred
  • discord
  • jealousy
  • fits of rage
  • selfish ambition
  • dissensions
  • factions and envy
  • drunkenness
  • orgies, and the like
I hope this wasn't too long nor made things more confusing
Thank you Twin.

My emphasis on this thread is that it is impossible to be saved by faith alone. I am talking about initial salvation as well as salvation in the long term.

The only time faith is alone is if it's dead. True faith in God will always manifest itself both prior to initial salvation and following it. The proof is in all the examples I've cited on the thread.

Katie

Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,969,425 times
This is why I'm so thankful not to read the writings of Paul. No more confusion and everything makes sense. Now I can hear the Messiah clearly and take His teachings and messages of warning very seriously, and of course at the same exact time be thankfull for Elohim's grace and mercy that allows me to be born again, because of the Lamb!

It's so good to be set free.

"Man will give an account for every idle word that he speaks"

and

"See I'm coming soon and my reward is with me, to repay ALL according to their DEEDS"

I didn't say those two quotes! That comes from God Himself.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,119,765 times
Quote:
You're right. Faith alone doesn't save. Faith plus works also doesn't save. Jesus saves. It is a complete work of God through Christ. Jesus didn't die that we might have the chance to make wise choices, but to be Savior of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Again, this is off topic. I'm trying to keep us away from unrelated subjects. Thanks,

Katie
My post above was not off topic, but you ignored it. Are you sure you want to discuss the OP, or do you just want to teach others what you believe?

Old 10-13-2011, 01:02 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,390,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
Brian, you're all over the map here, dude!

okay... If you are a Christian... you are not in the world... you have been called out of the world. if you are judged with the world, then you have fallen away or never been a christian.

Next... what's the deal with picking on bible study in the blog entry. that was only one example of things we should audit ourselves about. did you think the blog entry was about bible study only? did you see all the other stuff we should be "auditing" ourselves about? Prayer? Love? Forgiving? Letting go of anger? Bringing others to Christ? showing people you are Christian as opposed to telling them? Being active in your walk with Christ?

why do you focus on reading the bible? Just wondering...

2 Timothy 2:15. read the whole verse.

Lastly, I'll tell you who is going to Heaven. He (or she) that doth the will of God. Period. I don't know any church that says these people are and these people aren't.
My sincerest apologies if I offended you, atomtkirk. Your blog was good. I know that it wasn't just about Bible study, but it was one part that I remembered. Yes, the actions are also important.

In my own experience, I've seen people actually become "less Christian" as they spent more and more time reading the Bible! That's why I don't think reading the Bible is so important. It's useful, but not necessary.

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What I want to know is what are the works of obedience to God's word ?, bearing in mind that the scripture tells us that loving your neighbor is the fulfillment of the law.

You see if you want to talk about the life of the believer that glorifies our heavenly Father and what exactly are the works he created us to walk in, I would suggest you read Matthew 5-7.
I love the sermon on the mount. taught many lessons on it.

man, i'm really sorry, i got back earlier and just remembered this post.

okay... if you want an all-including list... that's gonna take a while. I'll start working on it, but getting back to faith only...

1 JOHN 2:3-6 says this...

3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

okay... I do not want to know what you 'think' i want scriptures that dispute this or scriptures that prove that this is not talking about faith alone is not enough.

oh... also...

James 2: 14 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. 18 But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” 19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? 22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS,” and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

alright everybody... faith only can save? Don't just read the underlined stuff... read it all. the underlined is added by me, btw...

Old 10-13-2011, 02:42 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,433,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
I love the sermon on the mount. taught many lessons on it.

man, i'm really sorry, i got back earlier and just remembered this post.

okay... if you want an all-including list... that's gonna take a while. I'll start working on it, but getting back to faith only...

1 JOHN 2:3-6 says this...

3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.I 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

okay... I do not want to know what you 'think' i want scriptures that dispute this or scriptures that prove that this is not talking about faith alone is not enough.

oh... also...

James 2: 14 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. 18 But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” 19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? 22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS,” and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

alright everybody... faith only can save? Don't just read the underlined stuff... read it all. the underlined is added by me, btw...
What is is commandment to you? ,but to love your neighbor as yourself,thus fulfilling the whole law,this is what the sermon on the mount is all about,Jesus making it entirely clear what a faith walk is all about.

Faith is not... I believe In the bible. If you have faith that God heals, you will not go around saying you are sick, if you believe that God meets you in all your needs, your confession will not be one of lack, if you believe in love,grace and mercy, you will be show all 3 of them,if you believe you are a Father of many nations you will not be saying my name is Abram,if you truly have faith there will be evidence,being baptized,saying I believe in the bible,going to church are not evidence,faith is living and vibrant,an inward thing that manifests itself outwardly in obedience to what it believes.

You show me a man who loves his enemies,who turns the other cheek,goes the extra mile, gives his cloak as well as his shirt, there's a man with living vibrant faith.

Last edited by pcamps; 10-13-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What is is commandment to you? ,but to love your neighbor as yourself,thus fulfilling the whole law,this is what the sermon on the mount is all about,Jesus making it entirely clear what a faith walk is all about.

Faith is not... I believe In the bible. If you have faith that God heals, you will not go around saying you are sick, if you believe that God meets you in all your needs, your confession will not be one of lack, if you believe in love,grace and mercy, you will be show all 3 of them,if you believe you are a Father of many nations you will not be saying my name is Abram,if you truly have faith there will be evidence,being baptized,saying I believe in the bible,going to church are not evidence,faith is living and vibrant,an inward thing that manifests itself outwardly in obedience to what it believes.

You show me a man who loves his enemies,who turns the other cheek,goes the extra mile, gives is cloak as well as his shirt, there's a man with living vibrant faith.
Are you agreeing or not? i really can't tell. I think you are, but i don't want to speak presumptuously. some of the things you say are kind of confusing.

for instance... Faith is not... I believe in the bible.

I have faith that the bible is God's word. I believe it is. it is an important part of my faith that the Bible is God's word. Its where all Christians should find their direction and authority.

i was not saying that faith is only believing in the bible.

i think what you are saying is in agreement with James 2.

am i correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity