Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,630,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Something my Pastor told me when I asked his about drinking Odouls, you know the non-alcohol beer and he said "Avoid the appearance of evil".
Oh good heavens, Robin, don't you recognize sarcasm when you see it? And besides, alcohol is not "evil". A little wine for thy stomach's sake, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM

45,613 posts, read 27,240,441 times
Don't want to post to much more on this here so this do not take over the main topic of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Your points are correct, but, the evidence that one is truly born again in the Spirit ... is the 'fruit' of their lives.
I agree - works are evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
That's right. I don't believe what you believe... but that's probably because I read the entire Bible. Have you done that? I'd like to know which version. Do you seriously think believing means pretending to believe? if you believed you would be constantly reading "God's Word" and your believe would show by your actions. Right now, its hard for me to tell Christians and Atheists apart... They both grow the same types of fruits... sometimes delicious and sometimes sour, bitter, and spoiled.
Regarding the bold, black - NASB, KJV

Regarding the blue - No. I didn't say any of that. The truth is man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart (1 Sam. 16:7 NASB). God is the only One who knows absolutely if a person believes the gospel or not. Therefore, He is qualified to send (1 Peter 1:12) the seal of our inheritance (Eph. 4:30) which is the Holy Spirit.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,381,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Oh good heavens, Robin, don't you recognize sarcasm when you see it? And besides, alcohol is not "evil". A little wine for thy stomach's sake, eh?
Oh but of course Jesus didn't actually drink any of the wine he made! And everyone who drank the wine he made was sinning or He made non-alcoholic wine!!...Boy am I glad I'm not an old school Southern Baptist.

Regarding the issue of divorce, there are alot of newer perspectives on what Jesus said on this issue by even Conservative theologians and Apologists that don't sound anywhere near as legalistic as some of the opinions that have been offered here. A lot of Messianic Jewish also have an interesting take on what Jesus said and believe he was actually correcting the Pharisees on what the Torah actually said about it... but either way, I'd say the OP here is on thin ice biblically, especially if he had anything to do with why his lady friend is getting a divorce.

Regarding premarital sex or sleeping in the same bed.. I'm not sure I want to get into those issues, but I will say there both weird issues in the bible because of the various laws between the Old and New Testaments and the various meanings of the Greek and Hebrew words surrounding these issues, but I tend to stick with Tradition in those issues..

Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,146 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm
Well, according to Jesus, she should stay with her husband (or separate and live single until her husband dies), and you should go back to the wife you divorced.

Otherwise you'll both be living a life of adultery. It will never be blessed by Jesus.
Sheesh, I have a hard time believing that's what Jesus actually said. I think this is definitely one time where Jesus' words were "embellished", to say the least. I don't buy that it's one way for a man, and a different way for a woman. So, my first husband is dead, and my 2nd ex-husband is still alive and living in sin with another woman. I don't date or have sex, so who's the adulterer in this situation?

The answer according to what Jesus supposedly said is.....both of us. My 1st husband was still alive when I married the second one, and my 2nd ex-husband was still married when we got married!!! So you see, I think it's best to marry when you have the opportunity and when it's right, not when someone else is DEAD. I'm not saying either one of my marriages was right, they were VERY wrong but saying someone's relationship will never be "blessed" by Jesus is way more than judgmental imo.

Oh and btw, I tried to go back to my 2nd ex, but he was already involved with the other woman before we even got divorced. So I tried to correct a very messed up situation even though he is still very much married to his first wife. Yeah, it's complicated.
What AlabamaStorm stated is biblically correct and is mentioned many times in the OT and reiterated in the NT!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,073,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Don't want to post to much more on this here so this do not take over the main topic of the thread.

I agree - works are evidence.

Regarding the bold, black - NASB, KJV

Regarding the blue - No. I didn't say any of that. The truth is man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart (1 Sam. 16:7 NASB). God is the only One who knows absolutely if a person believes the gospel or not. Therefore, He is qualified to send (1 Peter 1:12) the seal of our inheritance (Eph. 4:30) which is the Holy Spirit.
I wasn't specifically denying your ability to have the correct faith as Jesus and the apostles began, but I am saying that such words misguide people.

It was one of the reasons I stopped being Christian, because the pastors were saying that all I had to do was pretend deep in my heart, implying that there be need not to care about anything except my ability to fool myself.

works show that you have faith, you do not have true faith without them. And you cannot attract others with self-deceptions. When people hear: "all you need is faith!" they hear instead what they want to hear, and that is "you don't need to do any work!". Then they go out and misrepresent Christianity... and live unChristian lives. All the time pretending that's the way it is... they need no but change the story within their minds, that is all they need to achieve desires of immortality, eternal bliss, and vengeance... the ones they are sick with, and that Jesus wanted to heal.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,503,965 times
God gives two reasons for why a person can get divorced: Marital unfaithfulness and malicious desertion.

Otherwise God's opinion about divorce is:
" 'I hate divorce,' says the LORD God of Israel,
'and I hate a man's covering himself with violence as well as with his garment,' says the LORD Almighty.Malachi 2:16
malicious desertion:
the LORD is acting as the witness between you and the wife of your youth,
because you have broken faith with her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.

Has not the LORD made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his.
And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring.
So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth. " Malachi 2: 14-15
marital unfaithfulness:
"But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness,
causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery" Matthew 5:31,32
There is no double standard from God ... one for man and the other for a woman. In fact most of what God says is directed towards the male.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
The OP is already divorced, but he should in fact be encouraging this woman to try to save her marriage. The exception to that would be if he has committed adultery or has deserted her. Then she is free to divorce her husband. "What God has joined together let NO MAN put assunder. (destroy) By his dating activity he is working against God's will, clearly for selfish motivations.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,840,151 times
Quote:
Yes I do but he had a good point because there are people out their who will automatically judge someone based on appearances rather than facts. Personally I prefer Coors light.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,297,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffalookin View Post
I recently met a lady and fell in love with her we are both Christians her alittle more then me. She is married and getting a divorce and I am divorsed. We both know it would be wrong for us to have sex while she is still married but it it wrong for her to love me? and is it wrong for us to share a bed? When I ask her all she says is I'm married and its wrong I don't understand why it is wrong. Please help me understand?
No, and No.....I wouldn't worry about it ...can't you just pray for forgivness, praise the lord, and then be absolved of all guilt??

Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM

267 posts, read 297,429 times
Default The real question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffalookin View Post
I recently met a lady and fell in love with her we are both Christians her alittle more then me. She is married and getting a divorce and I am divorsed. We both know it would be wrong for us to have sex while she is still married but it it wrong for her to love me? and is it wrong for us to share a bed? When I ask her all she says is I'm married and its wrong I don't understand why it is wrong. Please help me understand?

Some have provided Biblical reference for your queries (use them), and as many others have pointed out, you already (or should) know the answers.

If you are a Christian, and already know these answers, the REAL question is do you want to live a Christian life. Contrary to some teachings, the Bible tells us our salvation is not faith alone. If you proclaim it, but do not allow that faith to influence your actions, are you really a Christian? (James 2:24-26)

Do not fret over the past and how you got in this situation. Forgivenes is there for those leave the unrighteous path and follow what they learn from God. (Acts 26:20) By our actions we demonstrate our faith.

If you honor yourself, honor the woman you proclain to love, and honor the God you proclaim to love, you will pull your Bible out and do the research, and make the knowledge your own, and then ALSO choose to live your life in accordance with what you have learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity