Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,575,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
While many think of Paul as a "Man of God" remember this: Jesus was all about a relationship between man and God, while Paul was all about a religion, a religious doctrine full of How tos and thou shalts that totally missed the mark wherever Paul went. Paul was not a great thinker or an enlightened teacher.
Thou shalt and How tos (sic) per Paul: Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Romans 8:1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus

Quote:
That is Paul was all about religion when he was not busy boasting and bragging about himself....in which instances, Paul was all about Paul.
Paul boasting and bragging: 1Cor 2:1-3 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling, Romans 7:19-21&24 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. V24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
I think you are not correct about Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,712,197 times
So what's wrong with Paul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Seems some folk think Paul was not in agreement with Jesus and the other Apostles. Please enlighten me. I am ignorant of this POV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Until recently, I had never heard someone, who claims to be a Christian, call Paul a false teacher. I'm not surprised though. If Satan can convince someone Paul's teachings aren't true then they have to throw out most of the New Testament. How convenient for him.
There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Paul.... the wrong is in the individuals who are claiming that Paul was a false teacher....

GO FIGURE !!

You just never know what you're going to read here in this forum these days !!

I have read several individuals lately claiming Paul was not an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.....

Heck, you can read all through this forum how the word of God is not what it is..... how it contradicts, it is not truth, etc., etc. !!

Oh, well they'll see in the end.... how and what a BIG mistake they chose !!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 PM

7,604 posts, read 6,110,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
So what's wrong with Paul?

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Paul.... the wrong is in the individuals who are claiming that Paul was a false teacher....

GO FIGURE !!

You just never know what you're going to read here in this forum these days !!

I have read several individuals lately claiming Paul was not an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.....

Heck, you can read all through this forum how the word of God is not what it is..... how it contradicts, it is not truth, etc., etc. !!

Oh, well they'll see in the end.... how and what a BIG mistake they chose !!

The "Word of God" is the word of God... the word of "Paul" is the word of Paul
Not the "Word of God"

Old 10-24-2011, 07:22 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,712,197 times
Like I said, and it is just an opinion......

"You just never know what you're going to read here in this forum these days !!"

Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,126,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Until recently, I had never heard someone, who claims to be a Christian, call Paul a false teacher. I'm not surprised though. If Satan can convince someone Paul's teachings aren't true then they have to throw out most of the New Testament. How convenient for him.
How convenient indeed!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 AM

37,516 posts, read 61,553,543 times
Quote:
The "Word of God" is the word of God... the word of "Paul" is the word of Paul
Not the "Word of God"
And the words of Moses are only the words o Moses.

Obadiah's words are only his own words too

Who trusts Malachi?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,096,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
On the road to Damascus..The great awaking Paul had regarding the stopping of the persecution of Christians seems far fetched - sound like he had a mild stroke and the scribes elaborated on the "audio-vision" he supposedly had.

Remember that Paul or as he was formally called Saul- worked for the Roman occupiers of the area..he was for all intent and purpose a very ambitous henchman. If you take the the incident concerning - Saint Stephen - who was so gifted that he literally glowed...and how Paul held the coats of the culprits that stoned Stephen to death - it makes you wonder who Paul really was. The other part is that most assume that Paul hung out with Jesus - from what I understand the two men never met - which takes away Pauls crediblity to some degree.

Paul or Paulism is what the universal Catholic Church was built on - along with Peter the traitor and coward - and the mother of Jesus - Mary - who scripture describes as believing her son Jesus was a crazy man..

Pauls sloagans and interpretations of the teachings of Christ were very political - in fact I believe that Paul was the worlds first modern politican.. I found that in the sub-text of his writing he is maniputlative and self serving - for instance in his letter to Timothy...when he concludes - he asks the young men to bring him his winter coat ...It looked like the rest of the letter was just filler and Paul could have been honest and simply said - "Tim...when you get back this way - could you bring me my coat?"

Paul was a man of earthly ambtion and saw the great opportunity to use the great concepts of Christianity to further himself. .... If you look at the writings in the New Testiment - it is cluttered with the letters of Paul...and the ideas of Christ seemed to be minimal..as if edited for politcal reasons by the Romans. It is also said that after the death of Jesus - the little church was in the trust of his brother James the Just...ancient rumor has it that Paul was present at the stoning of James and as with Stephen did nothing about it.

Christianity is about the teachings of Christ - not the corporate guidelines set out by Paul - that is just my view.
It is called the Pauline Doctrine not Paulism...We also might want to take a look at the Coptic Church of Egypt, it is said that the Church in Egypt was established by Mark or Luke, I can't remember exactly what I read, however, the Coptic Church is accused of being Gnostic...And I think that you are edging up to convincing people that only the Words in Red should be adhered to...

Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Paul is not supposed to be in agreement with the other apostles. Paul is the apostle of the nations, the uncircumcision. The nations have a heavenly calling, the Circumcision an earthly calling. The nations are saved by faith apart from works, the Circumcision are saved by grace mixed with works. These are just some of the things which differ. Remember the agreement Peter, James and John made with Paul in Galatians 2.
Are you speaking of the difference between the Noahide Laws, which are applied to all humanity and the Mosaic Laws which are applied specifically to the Israelites?...

The seven laws listed by the Tosefta and the Talmud are
  1. Prohibition of Idolatry
  2. Prohibition of Murder
  3. Prohibition of Theft
  4. Prohibition of Sexual immorality
  5. Prohibition of Blasphemy
  6. Prohibition of eating flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive
  7. Establishment of courts of law
The Noachide Laws comprise the six laws which were given to Adam in the Garden of Eden, according to the Talmud's interpretation of Gen 2:16,[8] and a seventh one, which was added after the Flood of Noah. Later, at the Revelation at Sinai, the Seven Laws of Noah were re-given to humanity and embedded in the 613 Laws given to the Children of Israel along with the Ten Commandments, which are part of, and not separate from, the 613 mitzvot. These laws are derived from the Torah. According to religious Judaism, the 613 mitzvot or "commandments" given in the written Torah, as well as their reasonings in the oral Torah, were only issued to the Jews and are therefore binding only upon them, having inherited the obligation from their ancestors. At the same time, at Mount Sinai, the Children of Israel were given the obligation to teach other nations the embedded Noachide Laws.[citation needed] These laws also affect Jewish law in a number of ways. - Seven Laws of Noah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Christ's primary reason for coming into the world was to go to the cross to die for the sins of the world.
I have to disagree with you here, brother in light of what Jeshua Himslef said:

Mat_15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

This was His primary reason for coming...

Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Paul was mentally ill, and everything in his "Conversion" can be assigned a reasonable explanation of his illness.....
I never thought of Paul as a "great teacher" because his "Conversion" and faith rely entirely on emotion and adherance to religious dogma (legalism)/ The same Major Flaws in Christianity as a religion to this day can be traced back to Paul.

Paul never had the "enlightened" thinking that Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi, Confuscious or all those other religious leaders had. I would not put him in any pantheon of great philospher's either. I really would not put his writings anywhere except the garbage can.
While many think of Paul as a "Man of God" remember this: Jesus was all about a relationship between man and God, while Paul was all about a religion, a religious doctrine full of How tos and thou shalts that totally missed the mark wherever Paul went. Paul was not a great thinker or an enlightened teacher.
That is Paul was all about religion when he was not busy boasting and bragging about himself....in which instances, Paul was all about Paul.

Advice: If you want a religious experience, Then be Like Jesus, not like Paul. There is a huge difference.
Then Peter shared in his mental-Illness and also did the other Apostles...And Peter was one of the Twelve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity