Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I think you have few things a little twisted. First, smoking hemp may or may not be habitual. If you smoke once every blue moon are you committing a sin? Secondly, getting drunk can be a one time event, constantly drinking in order to be drunk is another thing entirely.
Intentional & habitual. If you tell yourself you will only get stoned or drunk once a year, you are committing sin. It is not an unintentional slip, but an intentinal violation. We all slip in all kinds of ways, and we get back on the path, but if you actually plan it in advance, then you do actually live in intentional and habitual sin. That's my opinion about the sin aspect.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBite View Post
And from a biblical point of view, stoned, drunk, and wearing multiple kinds of fabric on your body are equal in their sinfulness.
I don't recall Jesus talking about fabrics, but he did talk about drunkedness.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:21 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,334,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Three reasons why smoking marijuana is wrong to Christians:

1. It is illegal. Obey the law.

(although it could become legal, then what? And these laws are hardly an issue where other issues, such as abortion, are concerned for the Christian.)

2. It is harmful to gods temple, the body.

(although it's not as harmful as alcohol, cigarette smoking, preservatives in processed foods, prescription drugs.... Overeating, or even not eating the right foods increases mortality by much more than marijuana smoking.)

3. It blocks communication from God because it's an escape from reality.

(taking a pain pill, reading a book, drinking alcohol, watching TV, playing a board game.... All escapes from reality. It's usually called entertainment. Why is marijuana so different?)

And the best reason is: it makes me feel guilty.

But why would you push your guilt onto someone else? If I feel guilty about eating a second piece of cake but my friend doesn't, who am I to tell them they can't?

I don't advocate marijuana use by any means, but I also think there are bigger battles to chose to fight.

My 2 cents.

....And we have a winner!!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Intentional & habitual. If you tell yourself you will only get stoned or drunk once a year, you are committing sin. It is not an unintentional slip, but an intentinal violation. We all slip in all kinds of ways, and we get back on the path, but if you actually plan it in advance, then you do actually live in intentional and habitual sin. That's my opinion about the sin aspect.
In parts of the world drinking wine is customary, so what if you get drunk while enjoying your dinner did you sin?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
In parts of the world drinking wine is customary, so what if you get drunk while enjoying your dinner did you sin?
There is a difference between having a class of wine and purposly getting drunk.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,840,661 times
Would Jesus condemn Pot Smokers (and/or)

About the same as alcoholics, drug addicts, thieves, sexually immoral and other sinful actions, no condemnation just "Go and sin no more"

Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 PM

461 posts, read 481,237 times
It's not what goes in a mans mouth that makes him unclean, it is what comes out that matters"By your words you'll be forgiven or by your words you'll be condemned".

"You've been told what is good and what the Lord requires of you, only to do what is right love goodness and walk humbly with the Lord your God."

"All those who do right will rise to Live the evil doer's will rise to be damned".

Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is a difference between having a class of wine and purposly getting drunk.

But if you have a glass and get drunk are you sinning? Everyone does not have the same tolerance level

Old 10-26-2011, 02:22 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times
Quote:
Execellente!!!!
It is a pity that so many christians pick and choose what verse applies to what situation. Like you mention before, hemp has been around for thousands of years and is never mentioned in the Bible in a negative way. It seems that the people with the least experiences have the most critical things to say about something. BTW, how can something be frowned upon in the eyes of the Lord that he created for that purpose?

Amen! My thoughts exactly!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,285,659 times
Thread is closed pending additional moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity