Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Jesus asked her not to do it again. That was His way.

The mob was going to stone her to death. That was their way.
The pot smokers stoned by the stone throwers.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Jesus asked her not to do it again. That was His way.
He is asking all His followers to not sin again. Mary listened, and gave up her sin. That's the point here. He does not want His followers to live in habitual sin. You know that, don't you?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Like reading the bible and becoming sin conscious instead of God conscious ?

The light of the body is the eye: therefore when your eye is single, your whole body also is full of light; but when your eye is evil, your body also is full of darkness.
Yep. We live in a precarious crucible. That's just the way it is.

"Oh wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from this body of death?"

Peace-
Heartsong

Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
ChristyGrl - you are so astute. Should we so worry ourselves with fear of what we consume? I'm concerned about food safety for the sake of my mortal body - since no one "wants to die",,,
Gods temple is our consciousness/soul/spirit...not our physical bodies, which will return to the dust from whence it came when it is our time to leave this physical plane.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Gods temple is our consciousness/soul/spirit...not our physical bodies, which will return to the dust from whence it came when it is our time to leave this physical plane.
The Bible teaches your body is also the temple of the Spirit, and you should NOT commit sin with your body. One good example of sinning with ones body is committing sexual immorality.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yep. We live in a precarious crucible. That's just the way it is.

"Oh wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from this body of death?"

Peace-
Heartsong
So it boils down to how we perceive and perceive ourselves. Oh wretched man that I am, or I am a new New Creation,this too will also dictate how we perceive others.

God bless the pot smokers.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Bible teaches your body is also the temple of the Spirit, and you should NOT commit sin with your body. One good example of sinning with ones body is committing sexual immorality.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20).
If you believe that who you truly ARE is your body...you haven't learned a thing about yourself and who you truly ARE.

I have a house and I live in it...but the house is not me...seriously reflect on that...for we are not the house we live in.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
If you believe that who you truly ARE is your body...you haven't learned a thing about yourself and who you truly ARE.

I have a house and I live in it...but the house is not me...seriously reflect on that...for we are not the house we live in.
You are saying that people are unable to sin with their bodies? Are you not in control of your body?

You ARE in control of your body, and if you submit it to sexual immorality or drunkedness, or drug use, you are defiling the temple of the Holy Spirit. It is that simple.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWW1962 View Post
I think there are two clear reasons that smoking pot is "sinful".

One, smoking is undeniably hazardous to your health, and those around you. Whether it be tobacco or pot, the effects are undeniable.

The health effects of marijuana are debatable. While inhaling smoke of any kind is not good for you, there is ample evidence that marijuana mitigates this problem with positive effects, including potentially killing precancerous lung cells.

Many millions of people responsibly use cannabis with NO ill health effects.

Second hand smoke is a separate ethical issue.

Quote:
Whether you want to argue that the intoxicating effects are a defilement or not... I agree with others that over consumption of alcohol has a worse effect. However, smoking is clearly a defilement of the body. (1 Cor 3:17; 2 Cor 7:1)
You are reading an awful lot into those verses, and it is your own personal interpretation. I interpret the first to be an admonition against suicide, and the second speaks to "defilement." I would not consider smoking a naturally occuring plant to be a defilement.

Neither mention cannabis specifically, despite the fact that the drug was available and in use at the time of Jesus.

Logical fail.

Quote:
Secondly, it is against the law (currently). (Titus 3:1; Romans 13:1)

Not all laws are just, which Jesus knew quite well.

Quote:
Just because you do not believe in a law, does not mean you can ignore it.

And if the law is unjust and unnecessary?
Jesus was not quite that authoritarian.

Quote:
Satan is known as the worker of lawlessness. If you condone and engage in lawless behavior, whose principles do you perceive you are loyal too?
Well that would depend on the law, now wouldn't it?
Logic fail again.

Quote:
Granted, this objection would be moot if it was legalized, but it is not, yet.
So our secular, temporal laws now define what is a sin in the eyes of God? Since when? Jesus was rightfully and legally crucified, eh?
Major logic fail.

Quote:
Maybe some do not care if they follow God's principles,
God says nothing about smoking pot, so your claim that this is included in His principles is wholly unsupportable.

Quote:
and if they promote lawlessness, but it certainly makes me question their loyalty if they are willing to break their commitment to God's righteous instructions just to get high.
Unless they didn't, because you have not made a logical argument that they have.

Quote:
Once it is legal, and you want to enjoy some brownies... I see no biblical restriction, except for over indulgence. Large doses can cause hallucinogenic effects

Clearly you have never experienced this particular substance to any real degree.

Quote:
and make people susceptible to intense "visions" and being mislead. (Proverbs 14:15)
See above. This is a ridiculous statement./

Quote:
The negative effects of hallucinogenic experiences are another one of those undeniable consequences, although there are those who embrace them.
Oh please. As if Ezekiel didn't pop a mushroom or six.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
defile= ingesting harmful substances, for the sole purpose of getting high
Nope, that's not the definition.

Quote:
temple= in this instance, temple means the human body, the body we live in
Correct, per Scripture.

[quote[I don't know why Jesus drank wine. Probably because it was proper for a celebration at a wedding. There is nothing wrong with having a drink or two...sin only comes into the equation when one drinks excessively to be drunken[/quote]

That's my point. Jesus wasn't anti-alcohol or against the consumption of it. He warned against the abuse of it.

Quote:
Crime of bootlegging? Ha, ha...that's funny! There was no law against "bootlegging" in those days...anybody who wanted to could make wine...in fact, any adult who feels inclined can still make up to 200 gallons of wine per year, in this country, legally. You just can't sell it for profit, without a license. There was no "crime" committed by Jesus.
Do you always take things so literally?

Quote:
I doubt that Jesus ever drank enough wine to get drunk.
So do I, depending on what you think drunk is.

Quote:
I know a number of individuals who smoke pot, but not a single one of them smokes so that they can remain "sober", they do it to get stoned.
Now that's profound.

Quote:
Some of it is so powerful nowadays that one joint is sufficient to get totally wasted...

Bud
Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity