Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HAVE OUR COMMONLY KNOWN, AND ACCEPTED ENGLISH BIBLE TRANSLATIONS BEEN MISTRANSLATED?
THE BIBLE IS UNERRING. 13 22.03%
THE BIBLE HAS BEEN MISTRANSLATED. 46 77.97%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,420,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Very well explained pneuma. This is exactly what Jesus was up against. His very own who he came to,could not receive him because they did not believe He alone is the Living Word of God. The scriptures are exactly what you say they are for,it gets tiresome when they accuse us of belittling the scriptures while quoting them at the same time. No one is belittling the scriptures who believes that Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God, not the scriptures themselves. I would say those who claim the scriptures are the word of God are belittling who Jesus Christ is...........The Living Word of God.

This is my beloved Son in who I am well pleased,Hear ye him. God's word is Spirit and you cannot contain by ink on perishable paper what the Spirit IS.

Thanks brother I needed that.

When one is surrounded by negativity it is nice once in a while to hear from others who believe as you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
We also have to see some circumstances concerning Jesus responce in Matt 4:4. Jesus hungered, and Satan knew that apparantly Jesus has the power to create any physical food he might have needed.

However Jesus gave the meaning of John 1:1 the typical verse used to say the bible is the word of God. Jesus was relying soley on spirit for sustainment, not the bible, "but every word that comes from the Mouth of God"
Amen

Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
A.S. If you had of quoted the other two lines you would have seen the answer you seek in them. I'll underline the answer for you.

Those who have Christ living in their life have no need for scripture.
Those who do not have Christ living have need of the road map/scripture.
Those who have Christ living in their lives use the scriptures to point those without Christ living in their lives to Christ.

So was Paul asking for the books and parchments and using scripture for his own benefit or was he using them for others benefit to lead them to Christ.

Paul is one who spoke his OWN judgment on things (he went outside of the scriptures, he had NO commandment of the Lord to speak what he did) yet he spoke it because he had obtained mercy of the Lord in this area of his life.

The reason he could do this was because he had the mind of Christ, a mind that is ABOVE scripture.

Paul literally became a LIVING epistle of Christ.

And ALL God sons are to be LIVING epistles of Christ
Yes, I do see what you're saying here, and I agree with you that the scriptures themselves, per se, do not give us life, regeneration being the exclusive work of the Holy Spirit, but we do make use of the scriptures within our "sanctification" process, or rather God working through us.

Look here:

2Ti 3:16 every Writing is God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that is in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be fitted--for every good work having been completed.

It is the man of God, those who are already born of the Spirit, to whom the scriptures are written for setting things aright (correction).

Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Very well explained pneuma. This is exactly what Jesus was up against. His very own who he came to,could not receive him because they did not believe He alone is the Living Word of God. The scriptures are exactly what you say they are for,it gets tiresome when they accuse us of belittling the scriptures while quoting them at the same time. No one is belittling the scriptures who believes that Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God, not the scriptures themselves. I would say those who claim the scriptures are the word of God are belittling who Jesus Christ is...........The Living Word of God.

This is my beloved Son in who I am well pleased,Hear ye him. God's word is Spirit and you cannot contain by ink on perishable paper what the Spirit IS.

Camps another thought along those line is if the scriptures are the Word of God and LIFE is found in the scriptures there was NO need for Jesus to come. So it does more then just belittle Him it does away with the need of Him all together.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,406,955 times
Quote:
Camps another thought along those line is if the scriptures are the Word of God and LIFE is found in the scriptures there was NO need for Jesus to come. So it does more then just belittle Him it does away with the need of Him all together.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,129,718 times
Quote:
Have our commonly known, and accepted english bible translations been mistranslated?
What do you want them to say that they currently do not say? How do the current English translations displease you? I'm guessing it has something to do with Leviticus.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Yes, I do see what you're saying here, and I agree with you that the scriptures themselves, per se, do not give us life, regeneration being the exclusive work of the Holy Spirit, but we do make use of the scriptures within our "sanctification" process, or rather God working through us.

Look here:

2Ti 3:16 every Writing is God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that is in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be fitted--for every good work having been completed.

It is the man of God, those who are already born of the Spirit, to whom the scriptures are written for setting things aright (correction).

A.S. To me the key there is the man of God is to use the scriptures for good works, those works are reproof and correction. In other words the man of God is FIT to use the scriptures, those who do not have Christ living in them are NOT FIT to use the scriptures.

Bro/sis the Holy Spirit is the man of Gods teacher.

When Jesus went away He said I will send the comforter and he will lead you into all truth.

The scriptures are NOT that comforter.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,965,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
What do you want them to say that they currently do not say? How do the current English translations displease you? I'm guessing it has something to do with Leviticus.

Probably not, who pays attention to leviticus in any translation?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,945,598 times
Quote:
A.S. To me the key there is the man of God is to use the scriptures for good works, those works are reproof and correction. In other words the man of God is FIT to use the scriptures, those who do not have Christ living in them are NOT FIT to use the scriptures.

Bro/sis the Holy Spirit is the man of Gods teacher.

When Jesus went away He said I will send the comforter and he will lead you into all truth.

The scriptures are NOT that comforter.
Yes, that is true also, however the recorded scriptures bring consensus within the body of Christ collectively (rather than by individual interpretation) as to what the Holy Spirit spoke through the prophets and apostles.

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Probably not, who pays attention to leviticus in any translation?
To be fair, I don't pay much attention to Leviticus myself. I'm more interested in the New Testament. But I don't tear out pages of the Bible I don't like, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity