Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HAVE OUR COMMONLY KNOWN, AND ACCEPTED ENGLISH BIBLE TRANSLATIONS BEEN MISTRANSLATED?
THE BIBLE IS UNERRING. 13 22.03%
THE BIBLE HAS BEEN MISTRANSLATED. 46 77.97%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,399,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No pneuma. You have been shown by the Scriptures themselves what Jeremiah was talking about. You will not listen. You have to maintain your position in order to hold to your belief that the Bible has been corrupted. And as I have said, I already addressed the issue of the reliability of the Bible in post #48. And I urge whoever is reading this to read that post.

As is true of many people, you have your pre-conceived beliefs and are not willing to budge from them despite being given proof of the error of your belief.

Jeremiah was warning the Jews about the impending punishment that was coming upon them from God. They were about to go into 70 years of Babylonian captivity. But false prophets who were not from God were deceiving the people into believing that everything was fine. That there was peace, peace, when there was no peace. It is there to read in Jeremiah. You only have to be honest with yourself.

I have made this as clear as I can. As I said before, believe what you want.

My post 135 makes answer to your post 48.

Again all the evidence is on my side

All you supplied for your evidence is your own opinion

Your opinion does not cut the mustard, sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,533,022 times
Katy, here's a link to the Lamsa bible at Amazon, and this large, paperback copy is the one that I have, which is why I'm linking you here, not cuz I care if Amazon ever makes a buck, etc. They have good descriptions of their products, forums under each product, listed, and they let you peek inside their books which is way cool, but if a mod needs to erase or edit my post because amazon is commercial, I sure will understand and not gripe.

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Anc...0283684&sr=1-1

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,391,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
My post 135 makes answer to your post 48.

Again all the evidence is on my side

All you supplied for your evidence is your own opinion

Your opinion does not cut the mustard, sorry
The evidence is in the Book. Why would Jeremiah say that the Torah was corrupted and then accuse the people of rejecting it and of not following it? That doesn't even make any sense. Don't you think if it was, that he would have had more to say about it than one sentence?

Jeremiah 8:8-9 - "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie. The wise men shall be put to shame; they shall be dismayed and taken; behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD, so what wisdom is in them?

Later Jeremiah says in 44:23 "Because you have burned sacrifices and have sinned against the LORD and not obeyed the voice of the LORD or walked in His law, His statutes or His testimonies, therefore this calamity has befallen you, as it has this day."

Why would Jeremiah be concerned about people not following the Law if it was corrupted anyway?

Your theory does not make sense.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
The evidence is in the Book. Why would Jeremiah say that the Torah was corrupted and then accuse the people of rejecting it and of not following it? That doesn't even make any sense. Don't you think if it was, that he would have had more to say about it than one sentence?

Jeremiah 8:8-9 - "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie. The wise men shall be put to shame; they shall be dismayed and taken; behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD, so what wisdom is in them?

Later Jeremiah says in 44:23 "Because you have burned sacrifices and have sinned against the LORD and not obeyed the voice of the LORD or walked in His law, His statutes or His testimonies, therefore this calamity has befallen you, as it has this day."

Why would Jeremiah be concerned about people not following the Law if it was corrupted anyway?

Your theory does not make sense.

They did not walk after Gods law because they walked after the law written by the lying pen of the scribes.

eye for an eye is a babalonian law, not a law of God.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
You have your version of what you believe those scriptures are saying a version that does NOT add up.

It speaks of the lying pen of the scribes, NOT the lying voice of the prophets.

A pen is for writing, a scribes is one who puts pen to paper.

A scribe is not a prophet.

And again all the evidence is against you, yet you will hold to you own opinion to your own destruction. So be it.
One last time.

In Jeremiah 8:8-11 scribe, prophet and priest are all being spoken of. And they were practicing deceit. They were all telling the Jews that there is 'Peace, peace, But there is no peace' (Jere 8:11). They were saying 'There shall be no sword or famine in this land' (Jere 14:15).

They were not altering the text of the Scriptures, but were handling the law falsely. They wrote misinterpretations of the law rather than altering the Scriptures.

Excerpt:
What exactly is it that these scribes are doing? If you read the larger context you will see clearly that the scribes, priests and prophets are telling the people that everything is okay, that the Law is being kept, and that there will be peace because "God is with us", His people. But they are lying. It doesn't say their lying pens are making the Torah into a lie by altering its text. It says they are writing things that are false as though they came from God's law and teaching them to the people.

Read the rest ---> Bible Commentary for Muslims: Jeremiah 8:8

Excerpt:
This was the problem Israel had in its last days. God warned the people repeatedly that destruction was coming because of their sins. Instead of repenting, the people flocked to false prophets who predicted peace and safety when there was no peace (Jeremiah 6:13-14). They preferred to hear what they expected than to be told the truth (Jeremiah 5:30-31). "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the Lord is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie. The wise men are put to shame, they are dismayed and caught; Behold, they have rejected the word of the Lord, and what kind of wisdom do they have? . . . Everyone is greedy for gain; from the prophet even to the priest everyone practices deceit. And they heal the brokenness of the daughter of My people superficially, saying, 'Peace, peace,' but there is no peace. Were they ashamed because of the abomination they had done? They certainly were not ashamed, and they did not know how to blush; Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; At the time of their punishment they shall be brought down, declares the Lord" (Jeremiah 8:8-12).

Read the rest ---> Be on the Alert

Do you understand now? Because this is all the time I am going to spend on this.
See posts#120, 123, 125, 129, 132, 139, and 143.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
One last time.

In Jeremiah 8:8-11 scribe, prophet and priest are all being spoken of. And they were practicing deceit. They were all telling the Jews that there is 'Peace, peace, But there is no peace' (Jere 8:11). They were saying 'There shall be no sword or famine in this land' (Jere 14:15).

They were not altering the text of the Scriptures, but were handling the law falsely. They wrote misinterpretations of the law rather than altering the Scriptures.

Excerpt:
What exactly is it that these scribes are doing? If you read the larger context you will see clearly that the scribes, priests and prophets are telling the people that everything is okay, that the Law is being kept, and that there will be peace because "God is with us", His people. But they are lying. It doesn't say their lying pens are making the Torah into a lie by altering its text. It says they are writing things that are false as though they came from God's law and teaching them to the people.

Read the rest ---> Bible Commentary for Muslims: Jeremiah 8:8

Excerpt:
This was the problem Israel had in its last days. God warned the people repeatedly that destruction was coming because of their sins. Instead of repenting, the people flocked to false prophets who predicted peace and safety when there was no peace (Jeremiah 6:13-14). They preferred to hear what they expected than to be told the truth (Jeremiah 5:30-31). "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the Lord is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie. The wise men are put to shame, they are dismayed and caught; Behold, they have rejected the word of the Lord, and what kind of wisdom do they have? . . . Everyone is greedy for gain; from the prophet even to the priest everyone practices deceit. And they heal the brokenness of the daughter of My people superficially, saying, 'Peace, peace,' but there is no peace. Were they ashamed because of the abomination they had done? They certainly were not ashamed, and they did not know how to blush; Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; At the time of their punishment they shall be brought down, declares the Lord" (Jeremiah 8:8-12).

Read the rest ---> Be on the Alert

Do you understand now? Because this is all the time I am going to spend on this.
See posts#120, 123, 125, 129, 132, 139, and 143.

And again I will point out to you mike that the scribe is one who put pen to paper, they are the copyist of the scripture and Jer say they used their PENS falsely concerning the laws of Moses.

Quote:
scribe, prophet and priest are all being spoken of. And they were practicing deceit.

How does a prophet practise deceit? By prophesying falsely.

How does a scribe practise deceit? By scribing falsely.

The scribes changed the laws God gave Moses into lies and taught the people to observe those laws.

That is why according to the law of Moses we read about an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, both of which come from a babalonion law, which was written over 200 years before the Mosaic law.

You can beleive an eye for an eye is according to what God said if you want to Mike, but Jesus tells us NOT to do such a thing, contradicting and exposing the laws and where they came from.

So go ahead and post away all the commintators you can supply and I will just keep pointing you to Jesus words which tell us an eye for an eye is NOT according to the Father.

Sorry Mike but Jesus wins out over anybody else, you might try listening to Him once in awhile.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 PM

Guys, please pardon me and don't throw tomatoes at me, LOL.

Have y'all sorta gotten totally lost from the thread title about there being, or not being mistranslation in our bible? I probably am missing something since you two do have a lot of full posts, and I keep stopping to talk to hubby and put away laundry here, so I admit I have not yet thoughtfully read every line of every post of you two's, but had to ask.

Please, will you two sum-up what you believe, mistranslations in our bible, or not?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Guys, please pardon me and don't throw tomatoes at me, LOL.

Have y'all sorta gotten totally lost from the thread title about there being, or not being mistranslation in our bible? I probably am missing something since you two do have a lot of full posts, and I keep stopping to talk to hubby and put away laundry here, so I admit I have not yet thoughtfully read every line of every post of you two's, but had to ask.

Please, will you two sum-up what you believe, mistranslations in our bible, or not?
Hi sunny, not just mistranslated but corrupted by the lying pen of the scribes.

Here is a little known FACT

The law of an eye for an eye comes from The Babylonian Code of Hammurabi which was written 200+ years before Moses wrote the law.

Jesus exposed this eye for an eye law for what it was, a law by the lying pen of the scribes.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Pneuma, thank you for your patience with me, in asking. I appreciate your reply.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Pneuma, thank you for your patience with me, in asking. I appreciate your reply.
Your welcome sis

God bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity