Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HAVE OUR COMMONLY KNOWN, AND ACCEPTED ENGLISH BIBLE TRANSLATIONS BEEN MISTRANSLATED?
THE BIBLE IS UNERRING. 13 22.03%
THE BIBLE HAS BEEN MISTRANSLATED. 46 77.97%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,145,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
How do you know the translator did his job correctly, and without errors?
I'd like to know this, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,145,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
When you say the Bible is in error or it has been mistranslated, you open the door wide to any wind of doctrine that comes down the pike. Now, no one will admit to that, but that is exactly what is happening. I see it all the time right here on this forum.
And when you say the Bible is 100% accurately translated, you see it too! That's what you're failing to admit. Even the people who voted along with you that there are no errors in the Bible don't agree with you on every point of doctrine. For instance, I'd be willing to bet that they are some of the same people who are arguing with you about the necessity of baptism.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:12 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,540,073 times
Certainly, in some small places, but no, the bible is not so mistranslated that we have lost the core values, principles and truths, no way!

Where it says "resist not evil" is the most blatant one that comes to mind. Doesn't it say "resist not evil, but overcome evil with good?"

Probably was originally written,

"Resent not evil, but overcome evil with good." See! common sense and truth, and we desperately need the word "resent" in the bible, and I betcha it was there, but in another language.

To not resist evil would be insane, and evil, it would be giving power and validity TO evil.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:12 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,484,075 times
Quote:
I believe we have to accept the Bible as is. That's how I see it anyway.
But the question still remains, which one?
Based on whose interpretation, King James?

Old 10-30-2011, 04:13 PM

9,942 posts, read 1,316,929 times
I have repeatedly brought up the same point since my original post, and no one has addressed it so far.

As soon as you say the Bible is in error, or it is mistranslated, you open the door wide to every wind of doctrine to come down the pike.

You either accept the Bible we have as 100% accurate, or you do not. There is nothing in between. Otherwise, you become a cherry picker, choosing scriptures that agree with your doctrine, and retranslating those you don't. Who decides which scriptures we change, and which ones we keep as written?

This is the point I would like addressed.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 PM

Okay, let's address it. No, we do not automatically become "cherry pickers" once we dare to state the truth, which to some of us is obvious....that, YES, there are mistranslations in our bible.

Some of us have integrity and will catch ourselves "cherry picking" if we are doing that to make the bible agree with our own beliefs. We are not in danger from admitting that the bible is not perfectly translated, and, it is not.

Most of the bible is perfect....it is a perfect roadmap for us to go into the right side of eternity.

"Resist not evil," that phrase, alone proves my claim that our bible isn't perfectly translated. That phrase is nuts. Satan would want us to not resist evil. Not our Father God.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:23 PM

9,942 posts, read 1,316,929 times
No one has addressed my point.

When you believe that the Bible is erring or mistranslated, then you open the door wide to every wind of doctrine to come down the pike. Who is to say which verse is correct, and which is not? Either you believe it 100%, or you have to cherry pick, which is exactly what people do who don't like a verse because it doesn't agree with their doctrine. They rewrite it to mean what they want it to say. That is simply WRONG!

Katie

Old 10-30-2011, 04:27 PM

Katie, you are leaving-out another option. We do not have to cherry-pick, we have to discern and be honest. Goodness....we have to be honest.
Katy, how can you be so concerned about folks deciding what parts of the bible are in-error that you align yourself with such nonsense as,

"resist not evil?!!"

Sorry, nothing personal and I say this with all due respect, as you are likely my sis-in-Christ.

We HAVE to resist evil. We do by nature, by common sense, by Holy Spirit inspiration, of course we resist...somone break into your home and want to physically harm your children, for example....

you gonna resist it, or not?

Bible was, without question, MIStranslated there, and I believe a few other places, but so few that I can't even remember any others, and THIS should give you great peace of mind.

Not much to cherry pick about....as any mistranslations have GOT to be obvious, and there are not very many.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Katie is right about the OT and Jesus. He was asked about it/The Law, once that I know of, and He said that He came not to do away with the Law,

But to fulfill it.

I cherish that He said this and it, unlike trillions of His words, did get recorded. Folks claim that Jesus never said a thing about Homosexuality and the OT words about it.

Not so! He gave the Old Testament "carte blanche" when He made it clear that He didn't do away with it, but fulfilled it.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:56 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,947,433 times
Quote:
No one has addressed my point.

When you believe that the Bible is erring or mistranslated, then you open the door wide to every wind of doctrine to come down the pike. Who is to say which verse is correct, and which is not? Either you believe it 100%, or you have to cherry pick, which is exactly what people do who don't like a verse because it doesn't agree with their doctrine. They rewrite it to mean what they want it to say. That is simply WRONG!

Katie
It was addressed. You simply did not like the answer you were given.

Researching and investigating the scriptures, the critical texts that formulate them, the many translations that are available to us, etc., should be encouraged, not discouraged. Searching out the truth is not being unfaithful to God, nor should it be looked upon as an attack on one's doctrines (at least it shouldn't be). Nor should we be afraid to question what we read and what we are told to believe. How do you think the Protestant Reformation came into being? Or even your own denomination's "restoration" movement (CoC, DoC, S/C, etc.)?

The discussion we're having is really about searching out the truth and making sure that the translations we read are as accurate and faithful to the original manuscripts as possible. Why you would be against researching such things, or instruct people not do so, is simply mind-boggling.

Why does the idea of a bible translation being in error trouble you so much anyway? What is it that frightens you about someone researching what they read, or what someone has told them, or what they hear being proclaimed from today's pulpits?

I think what it really boils down to is that you're unsure of your own beliefs and it's probably starting to cave in on you....lol.

Don't be troubled by it all though, it's part of the course... .

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 10-30-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity