Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Do you really know who, what the Bereans are/were ??

Or are you just speaking negative things for the sake of speaking.... pcamps ???

Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13), Jesus told His disciples. We need to remind ourselves that in those terrible hours Jesus hung on the cross, it was all about love. We can't comprehend that kind of allconsuming, all-powerful Love, but we can spend the rest of our lives living in wholehearted response to it.

How do we do that? "Walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God" (Colossians 1:10, emphases added].

It's clear we please Jesus by bearing fruit. But what kind of fruit? The fruit that comes from every good work. Ephesians 2:10 says, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works ... that we should walk in them." This is our purpose, one we have been gloriously restored to by the Resurrection and which flows naturally from our restored identity. Works cannot save us, but without the fruit of good works, we lack the evidence that identifies us as new creations in Christ! Just as God's nature is revealed in what He does, we reveal His nature in what we do.

What are these good works? While feeding the poor, clothing the naked and visiting the needy are expressions of the Christian life, they represent only a partial "list" of the works Jesus performed. For a complete list, read the Word with the sole intent of identifying every action verb—those "good works" that both Jesus and His disciples practiced; then pray that His Holy Spirit will empower you to "go and do likewise!" Halleluiah, He is Risen!

Amen....
Yes I do know who the Bereans are......no different to you and I, God is no respecter of person, and neither am I.

What part of my post do you consider negative ?. Or is it simply because I challenged the party line about how what the Bereans did with the scripture.

Does it not say something to you, that it was not until they heard the Living Word that they saw Christ in the scriptures, proving that the Living Word is not ink, but something beyond it ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,710,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes I do know who the Bereans are......no different to you and I, God is no respecter of person, and neither am I.

What part of my post do you consider negative ?. Or is it simply because I challenged the party line about how what the Bereans did with the scripture.

Does it not say something to you, that it was not until they heard the Living Word that they saw Christ in the scriptures, proving that the Living Word is not ink, but something beyond it ?.
You know what.... I'm not going to enter into the negative outlook about other's in the things of the Lord Jesus Christ as you have been doing..... it is always accusing and misrepresenting the heart of other's..... it definitely is not of the Lord Jesus !!

Have a nice day !!!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
You know what.... I'm not going to enter into the negative outlook about other's in the things of the Lord Jesus Christ as you have been doing..... it is always accusing and misrepresenting the heart of other's..... it definitely is not of the Lord Jesus !!

Have a nice day !!!
You mean you didn't like what I said, about my understanding of the Bereans, so you called it negative. Xoxox.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
So are you saying they danced around a Bible?? What exactly were they DOING that they glorified the Word? Did they buy a new translation? Did they invent the printing press?? Did they kneel down and kiss the scrolls? Were there even any scrolls around that that time???

Blessings,
brian
Yeah, they gave everyone a pocket sized edition of The Word back when Jesus was walking the earth, didn't they? But I doubt it had a little golden cross embossed on the front of the book because Jesus had not yet been to the cross....

Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed
What is written comes from the same place from that which is verbally spoken.
Galatians 3:8
The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.â€

Here we have the scripture announcing the gospel in advance than to no other than Abraham.
John 20:31
But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
Romans 15:4
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

For it not be of the written, we would not have what we have to believe, have endurance, encouragement, hope and have life.

And besides... I rejoice in the written word, for I know my name is written in heaven in the Lamb's Book of Life.
Luke 10:20
However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.â€
Hebrews 12:23
You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven.
Revelation 21:27
Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Thank you, Twin, for always bringing the very word, yes, God's breath that was spoken and given to us in written form that all hearts maybe quicken to hear and turn one to believe His truth !!

It is awesome because we can communicate, testify, share one too another in what His will is in our lives through the power, strength of His Holy Spirit, who never fails to bring to our remembrance what Christ said to us in His word, scripture......!!

He tells us to encourage, spur one another along, enduring with one another until the very end and how can we do that but through words, sharing with our words, learning from the teaching, hearing of His word.... amen !!

Blessings to all who will believe !!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,392,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Jesus said His Words are Spirit. Here is that verse again:

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

I found this to be one of the most thought provoking verses I had ever come across.

Often we see the word Spirit be translated from a word that means breath or air. Here we have the association of Spirit with WORD. We all know that a Word is breath/air. What is interesting about a Word though is that the air or noise thereof that it makes contains meaning. Certain words have different meaning as we all know. Words can identify who we are - what we are like - how are personality is - our dislikes, likes, etc..

The Holy Spirit then is not some third party identify that many wrongly believe in. But rather the very personality of the Father in Heaven.

So Jesus was giving us the FATHER's BEING (His person) by the very Words that He spoke. This is how we become Children of God. But what does it take? - we obviously must BELIEVE those words in order to be changed by them such that are old selves are destroyed and that we put in our minds the Mind of Christ which is also the mind of God the Father. That we become one in sharing of His Spirit.

This is typed in the flesh. When your parents have you they give of themselves their flesh (genetically) and it comes by way of the union of the flesh. Likewise we take on the Father's Spirit when we have the communion with the Spirit - so conception is a type of what is FAITH or to come to BELIEF.

And it is by that Spirit that if we have it - as long as we have it we have His Life in us.

Concise post to those who have 'ears to hear'.

Without the Holy Spirit we are nothing but flesh and blood, of which cannot enter the Kingdom of God.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Concise post to those who have 'ears to hear'.

Without the Holy Spirit we are nothing but flesh and blood, of which cannot enter the Kingdom of God.
Amen....

Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
"The Bible is the very breath of God"

Some bibles are so poorly translated, God must have very bad breath.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,392,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Wouldn't that then mean some translators have bad breath, and not God?

Being that it is God's Spirit who gives a believer 'life', I just don't see how you get off mocking God.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,125,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Some Bibles are "hi-fidelity" while others are "lo-fidelity", as with vinyl and compact discs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity