Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,964,476 times

Advertisements

When it comes to Romney flip flopping as you say, I'll have to get into this more and search for facts - like videos of him, or quotes. I understand that this accusation can be exagerated from people who are against him, and there could be more to it than meets the ear.

And even if he did flip flop, considering the options he still would seem to be a better candidate (if he stands firm on the flop) than the others. A little flip flopping is not the worst of the political evils. I will research this though, but I'm sure Katzpur will have some truth for us as well concerning Romney.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
In my post you quoted, I spoke of Romney, Huntsman, and Paul. But, I guess you are asking me about Huntsman. I don't think I can answer your specific questions. Some he may have said something about and some he may not have. But, you can find his stand on many of the issues on his website: Jon Huntsman on the Issues: Jobs, Foreign Policy, & More | Huntsman 2012

Oh, that is too bad that you would discount him because he believes in evolution. That is a plus in my book. There is a ton of evidence that humans did evolve and that we are related to all living things. You can believe god created us through evolution if you wish, but one need only learn about evolution and how we know what we know to realize that it is absolutely true. Our education system has failed too many Americans in that they were never properly taught evolution.
There has never been any proof of evolution, thus it remains a theory.
Doug Bachelor would be a good source for those facts - "Amazing Facts".

As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind having a side discussion about this on this thread, so if admin doesn't mind, prove it.

And thanks for the link. I'll look at it.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Can anyone provide proof of Romney's flip flopping? lol. This is an important aspect to considering him as a Christian candidate so I'll research it, but if you can provide the links then go for it, please. Not that I don't trust the ones here who said it, it's just that someone saying it on a forum isn't enough. If I find it, then I'll post as well. I'm not biased towards him whatsoever.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,897,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Can anyone provide proof of Romney's flip flopping? lol. This is an important aspect to considering him as a Christian candidate so I'll research it, but if you can provide the links then go for it, please. Not that I don't trust the ones here who said it, it's just that someone saying it on a forum isn't enough. If I find it, then I'll post as well. I'm not biased towards him whatsoever.
I have just begun to look for sites I can point you to, but I found this one. I like it because it presents quotes from him side by side, and for each quote a link to the full text that the quote came from in context: Mitt Romney Flip-Flops

Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,259,950 times
Quote:
It is true what people say about Romney - that he flip flops. When he was running for office in Massachusetts, (and we have him on video) he was liberal on social issues, and now that he is running for the GOP nomination for President, he is suddenly conservative on social issues. Now, some in his defense want to say that he had a legitimate change of heart on these issues, which if true, would be fine with me. But, what makes me think that it was not a legitimate change of heart is that on many of the issues he now denies he ever held those opposing viewpoints. Well, we know he did because we have it on tape, and if he legitimately studied the issue and changed his mind, he would remember that soul-searching effort and defend his flip-flopping by citing the thoughtful process he went through instead of denying he ever held the position in the first place. For instance, he was for a woman's right to choose and now he is not and denies that he was ever for a woman's right to choose.

I, as a Democrat, liked his earlier liberal positions on social issues anyway, so even if I believed that he is not just taking positions based on political expediency, but on principle, his current conservative positions on social issues is a negative for me.

You also asked why I prefer Huntsman. Huntsman is an intelligent, reasonable guy, who knows why he takes the policy positions he takes and can articulate them. He has international experience helping his dad's business expand into global markets, he has been US Ambassador to China, and speaks Mandarin Chinese. He was governor of Utah and helped their economy grow by attracting businesses. He was able to lower taxes and along with the Utah legislature manage his state's budget without the draconian tactics we have seen by Republican governors throughout the country. He has plans to cut the unnecessary regulations and dramatically improve the cost-benefit analysis of future regulations and the discipline of federal regulatory agencies . In a revenue neutral move, he plans to close loopholes while lowering the rate of corporate taxes. Through international trade agreements, he plans to open markets and expand a customer base for American businesses.

But, in addition to his policies, I just trust the guy. I haven't seen him pander, or flip-flop, or seem completely lost when asked a question. He doesn't have a history of being disorganized, screwing people over, he believes in evolution and global warming. He doesn't go after his opponents with below the belt blows. He doesn't scare me. He is not extreme or crazy in his ideology. His top priority isn't political gamesmanship. He isn't beholden to lobbists.

I actually, hope Obama implements some of Huntsman's ideas.

I like Ron Paul as a person, but I fundamentally disagree with his libertarianism. I agree with him that too much regulation can stifle an economy, like what happened in the USSR. But, too little regulation, results in the powerful taking advantage of the rest of us. Think of developing nations where industry gets ahead of regulations, what do you have? Unbelievable air pollution in which the population develops all sorts of respiratory diseases. Unbelievable industrial waste dumped into rivers and lakes. Resources ravaged, like rain forests being clear cut. You have sweat shops, in which workers have to work long grueling hours in unsafe conditions. Why do they work there if the conditions are so bad? They have no other place to work. Big industry can bankroll the campaigns of politicians who will do their bidding. The bottom line is unregulated markets permit corporate selfishness to go unchecked leaving the rest of us powerless in an unhealthy environment. Just like laws are needed to promote a healthy civil society (we aren't on constant alert that someone is going to steal our stuff because we have laws against theft and policemen to enforce those laws), we also need regulations to promote a healthy economy (so that companies aren't ravaging the natural resources we as the public all share and we need regulatory agencies to enforce those regulations). However, some regulations are ridiculous and need to be gotten rid of. We need balance.
The fact that Huntsman isn't leading the pack of Republicans says an awful lot about the state of today's Republican party We're at a point where reasonable, articulate, and moderate loses. But people like a man who makes a fool of himself in debates and thinks hating gays will get him elected president

Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM

28,114 posts, read 30,023,553 times
Quote:
I am a former Mormon, but I hold nothing against Mormons and would not hesitate to vote for one if I preferred them in all other ways (in other words I would not hold Mormonism against a candidate). Personally, if I had to vote for someone in the Republican party, I'd choose the other Mormon, Jon Huntsman.

But, I will be voting for Obama.
I will likely be voting for Obama, too. I would definitely vote for Huntsman if he were to get the nomination, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,259,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I will likely be voting for Obama, too. I would definitely vote for Huntsman if he were to get the nomination, but we all know that's not going to happen.
Do people in Utah generally like him? I'm shocked to find myself liking him, but he seems like a truly honest, decent man with good ideas and not polarizing.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM

28,114 posts, read 30,023,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Do people in Utah generally like him? I'm shocked to find myself liking him, but he seems like a truly honest, decent man with good ideas and not polarizing.
He was in the middle of his second term as Governor when Obama asked him to be the Ambassador to China. He won his second term with almost 80% of the vote. Democrats and Republicans alike thought very highly of him.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,290,216 times
Uh, folks? This one's better suited in the Politics forum. As such, thread closed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity