Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Your own data proves that less people are tying the knot (significantly less), and as for divorces in last 12 months, - people are delaying divorce because of the recession.
I think you are absolutely right that the tough economic times are preventing a good number of divorces. I've read several articles that indicate that people just can't afford to get divorced these days. And there are more and more couples who skip the divorce (and the lawyers fees) and come to a mutual agreement to be "separate" while still living together. There are "civil marriages" between heterosexuals -- kind of like being college roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think you are absolutely right that the tough economic times are preventing a good number of divorces. I've read several articles that indicate that people just can't afford to get divorced these days. And there are more and more couples who skip the divorce (and the lawyers fees) and come to a mutual agreement to be "separate" while still living together. There are "civil marriages" between heterosexuals -- kind of like being college roommates.
Divorce is expensive, and at this time many simply cannot afford to leave and find a new house etc.

Quote:
A growing body of research indicates that some couples are choosing not to get divorced or are delaying severing ties because of the troubled economy.
Other unhappy couples are choosing to continue living under the same roof even while going through a divorce.
A 2009 poll by the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts found that 68 percent of analysts had clients who could not afford to get divorced because of economic woes related to the recession.
Same could be true with getting married. Are people waiting for better economy? I don't know, but you would think living expenses drop when you get married. That was the case with me at least, going from who houses to one. Having kids is another thing, as that can be very expensive.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I don't know why any Christian would be surprised by these statistics. (Who knows how accurate any of them are, they're a guess at best, but they do reflect what's going on, just look around.) What many tell me is happening in Churches is reflected in the pews. The 20-30 year olds are abandoning church in droves. If you look at the typical population in the average church, you see a lot of gray hair, and not many young people, not many babies or young children. Baptisms and confirmations are way down. Average attendance and membership is declining rapidly. The younger generation is abandoning God for the most part, so why be surprised when they opt for rejecting marriage and instead shacking up. Then they can easily split whenever they want.
I look at it this way.

People no longer stay in unfulfilling, miserable marriages just to please "God".

As far as children are concerned.....are they really better off being raised by parents who stay together, even though they can no longer stand to be around each other?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:51 PM

939 posts, read 1,025,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I look at it this way.

People no longer stay in unfulfilling, miserable marriages just to please "God".

As far as children are concerned.....are they really better off being raised by parents who stay together, even though they can no longer stand to be around each other?
A man is commanded by scripture to love his wife. If he calls himself a Christian there is no basis for him bailing on that marriage just because he doesn't feel happy at the moment.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
A man is commanded by scripture to love his wife. If he calls himself a Christian there is no basis for him bailing on that marriage just because he doesn't feel happy at the moment.
I wasn't aware that love could be forced.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
Annie, if people don't want to stay married, that's just fine with me. If they have no interest in God, then God certainly gives them that freedom. But this is posted in a Christianity forum, so you get a Christian perspective on things. And if people just want a life of bed hopping God also gives them that freedom, but just keep in mind, they will not go to heaven. If they repent, they can be forgiven, but if they die without repentance, there is no hope for salvation.

1Co 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 1Co 6:10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?" 1 Peter 4.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,503,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Why is this in the religion forum. Anyone that studied scriptures knows that a marriage to God is the union of the flesh (the sexual act). I'm sure the report is concerned with certificate marriage recognized by the state.
Not so.... that a marriage to God is the symbolic resemblance of the commitment that Jesus has for the church of believers.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
God compares the relationship of believers in the OT to marriage:
Isaiah 54:5
For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

and also the infidility of people towards God:
Jeremiah 3:20
But like a woman unfaithful to her husband, so you have been unfaithful to me, O house of Israel,” declares the LORD.

I would have you read Hosea 2 on your own .. too long to post here.

The union of the flesh (the sexual act) that marriage bed was intended for... the husband and wife. It is was this "family" structure and enviroment that is the best for children's welfare that was intended by God when he joined man and woman in the Garden of Eden.

The further away people go from understanding the importance and significance of marriage is to the moral fabric and the God pleasing nature in which God intended for people to live... the farther away from the truth people become.

The report is a indication which way people are spiritually. Jeremiah 3:20

Old 12-16-2011, 07:46 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Not so.... that a marriage to God is the symbolic resemblance of the commitment that Jesus has for the church of believers.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
God compares the relationship of believers in the OT to marriage:
Isaiah 54:5
For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

and also the infidility of people towards God:
Jeremiah 3:20
But like a woman unfaithful to her husband, so you have been unfaithful to me, O house of Israel,” declares the LORD.

I would have you read Hosea 2 on your own .. too long to post here.

The union of the flesh (the sexual act) that marriage bed was intended for... the husband and wife. It is was this "family" structure and enviroment that is the best for children's welfare that was intended by God when he joined man and woman in the Garden of Eden.

The further away people go from understanding the importance and significance of marriage is to the moral fabric and the God pleasing nature in which God intended for people to live... the farther away from the truth people become.

The report is a indication which way people are spiritually. Jeremiah 3:20

Great post, Twin.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I wasn't aware that love could be forced.
Love isn't a feeling. If you realize that you can choose to love. A man is commanded to love his wife. I can honestly say that my feelings for my wife have grown though, because of my commitment to her.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Love isn't a feeling. If you realize that you can choose to love. A man is commanded to love his wife.
That may be true. But when one spouses neglects to choose to love the other, it's still a choice that breaks the bond of marriage and the neglected partner cannot change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity