Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,503,965 times

Advertisements

The report noted:
adults who are married dropped to a record low in 2009-2010
— to just a smidgen over half of population 18 and older. And the age at which Americans first tie the knot has never been higher, according to analysis of U.S. Census data by Pew Research Center published Wednesday......

.....the marriage rate for the 18-29 age group has fallen from 59 percent in 1960 to 20 percent today.

... the “market share” of marriage has been in decline for decades — from 72 percent in 1960 to 51 percent today, a trend that has been accompanied by a rising tolerance for single parents, cohabitation without marriage and other alternatives. At the current pace, the share of U.S. adults who are married will dip to less than half within a few years, the Pew study says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,227,918 times
Marriage doesn't equal commitment.

If your relationship, regardless of type, is working for you then that's great. I've known many people on both sides of the fence and let me tell you, that little piece of paper means very little. Married people cheat and lie just as much if not more than couples who are living together.

It's what is in your heart that counts, not an antiquated legal custom.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The report noted:
adults who are married dropped to a record low in 2009-2010
— to just a smidgen over half of population 18 and older. And the age at which Americans first tie the knot has never been higher, according to analysis of U.S. Census data by Pew Research Center published Wednesday......

.....the marriage rate for the 18-29 age group has fallen from 59 percent in 1960 to 20 percent today.

... the “market share” of marriage has been in decline for decades — from 72 percent in 1960 to 51 percent today, a trend that has been accompanied by a rising tolerance for single parents, cohabitation without marriage and other alternatives. At the current pace, the share of U.S. adults who are married will dip to less than half within a few years, the Pew study says.
Yep, unfortunately US is following in Europe's footsteps, where it is common to live and have kids together, but never actually marry. It makes it easier to walk away when things get stormy.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,642,155 times
Very sad. Our hearts aren't right with God. Marriage is a God-ordained institution. For many, it's not even about God anymore but about pictures, dresses, party, taxes etc. It has become a government institution for so many. So sad.

All Fornication, Adultery, etc, will be judged. Christ calls his church his virgin bride. By reading the scriptures, one can see how much sexual immorality offends God. Sex is gift of God and healthy and good within the confounds of marriage. Outside of it is poisonous to the soul that results in personal loss and spiritual blindness.

Proverbs 7

1My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.

2Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.

3Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.

4Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:

5That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.

6For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,

7And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,

8Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,

9In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:

10And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

11(She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:

12Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)

13So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,

14I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.

15Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.

16I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.

17I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.

18Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.

19For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:

20He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.

21With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.

22He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;

23Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.

24Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.

25Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.

26For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

27Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

Not to mention feeding our children to the state to be devoured.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:12 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,227,918 times
Please child!

Marriage in biblical times had very little to do with love. It was politics, a way to join forces. Paying for a wife was common. Tell me that doesn't reek of prostitution!

Sadly, prearranged marriage still exists today, even in the Christian religion and even in America.

The bible was written centuries ago and hardly addresses today's social structure. Some people need to pull their heads out of the sand and take a look at reality. It's the relationship that counts, not a little piece of paper and a party later.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Please child!

Marriage in biblical times had very little to do with love. It was politics, a way to join forces. Paying for a wife was common. Tell me that doesn't reek of prostitution!

Sadly, prearranged marriage still exists today, even in the Christian religion and even in America.

The bible was written centuries ago and hardly addresses today's social structure. Some people need to pull their heads out of the sand and take a look at reality. It's the relationship that counts, not a little piece of paper and a party later.

Yes, relationship is everything. If that is neglected, it's very hard to "keep it together" except by sacrifice (which is what is keeping a lot of marriages together). And there are some very legitimate reasons to remain in a bad marriage - but that doesn't make it a "blessed" union.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 PM

939 posts, read 1,025,799 times
Quote:
Of course it does. Women that give up the goods without getting married are not smart.
Quote:
If your relationship, regardless of type, is working for you then that's great. I've known many people on both sides of the fence and let me tell you, that little piece of paper means very little. Married people cheat and lie just as much if not more than couples who are living together.

It's what is in your heart that counts, not an antiquated legal custom.
It's a commitment before God. That is huge.

Quote:
Please child!

I know several couples that are happily in pre-arranged marriages.
Quote:
or maybe we need to pull our heads out of the sand and realize the Bible is still right and we are wrong. We're not special...there is nothing unique about our culture today that didn't take place in the past.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
U.S. News on MSNBC (12/14/11) ... adults who are married dropped to a record low in 2009-2010
mmmmmm..... OKay....

There must be a purpose for posting this here or your should have posted it in the "Relationship" area on C-D. Who are you blaming, gays, atheists, infidels, UFO aliens.

If you post a link or news article, it is a courtesy (and perhaps in the rules) that you also comment.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Quote:
Of course it does. Women that give up the goods without getting married are not smart.
Really, then why do 50% of marriages end in divorce.... that ol' commitment you speak of?

Your reference to women "giving up the goods" also speaks volumes about your attitude toward women, what do you all call it........ oh yea chattel.

I still see advantages to legal marriages, but even that is waneing. Filing taxes as a 'married' couple gave some tax breaks. When I married the heathen woman I'm still married to 42 yeas later, banks wouldn't even talk to you about getting a mortgage, but they too have changed.

Me and that heathen woman I married (a legal process, no preachers, etc.) are still doing well in our partnership.

Oh yea, we got it on before marriage, but she "didn't give up the goods" we made love, we met in the middle (take that however you want)

Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,848,314 times
Sometimes, I think we tend to blindly accept the data and conclusions touted by the media as fact – when, in reality, most of the data and even more of their conclusions, lack real substance. – NBC and its ilk are in the ‘spin’ business – not the ‘hard news’ business. The stories they present typically have more to do with their editorial agenda and bias, than with facts and truth. In my opinion, the actual data on marriages in the US tells a much different and more positive story:

According to the US Bureau of Census, over 60% of all marriages between 1960 and 1999 have lasted as long as life and years allow http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0131.pdf

Since 1990 (including 2000 and 2010 measurements, the number of marriages annually has declined by about 30% … as have divorce rates. Is that because people are staying married longer (vs entering multiple marriages) or fewer people are getting married cannot be determined by the data http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0133.pdf. That is a long way from the statistical decline presented by NBC.

Over the last 12 months, the number of marriages has doubled the number of divorces http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0132.pdf --- This is twice the rate of marriages and half the rate of divorces over the past 20 years (Table 133).

Over the years in the intelligence business, I learned to ignore almost all of the media's conclusions ...and to challenge and question almost all of their data.

Last edited by jghorton; 12-14-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity