Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,010,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So, as you likely already know, Christmas falls on a Sunday this year. Now for Christmas, usualy many of our closest family members come on the Eve, stay the night and wake up, exchange gifts, and eat a big Christmas breakfast. I am not a Christian but many in my family are and one relative in particular goes to church every sunday, studies their Bible and so forth. Well, since Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, this relative has revealed that they will not be coming over and spending the night or showing up on Christmas morning, but rather, attending church instead. The rest of us were shocked, especialy because Christmas is one of the only times a year our entire family gets together.

Is this something that you, as a Christian, will also be doing? Assuming your God exists, wouldn't he and Jesus prefer we spend Christmas with our freinds and loved ones? What do you all think?
For the record my church is not having service.

But to answer your question, there is no singular answer to this question. It is not a sin for individuals to not go to church on Christmas. I think it just greatly depends on the situation and people's hearts. We cannot judge someone just because they decide to go or not go to church on Christmas, only God knows the true reasoning of why people are going to church. There is an understanding though, that your family is your first ministry (1 Timothy 5:8). If you are going to church because you feel that you have to and you are spending a lot of time in church just because it's Christmas, then that is wrong. Going to church should be more about wanting to worship and praise God as opposed to "I should go because it's Christmas". That is the difference between relationship and religion. When you have a relationship you have a reason(s) to do these things, but when you are involved in religion you do them just because. On the flip side, if you are using your family as an excuse to not go to church, you are equally wrong. Again, these are things that only God and that individual know the truth intent of what is being done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 05:03 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,905,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Why does it matter if people get together if God doesn't exist.
Obviously you did not come of age in the 1960's where we lived by the motto, "If it feels good, do it."

We get together with our family, including our four wonderful grand-children, because we enjoy it. In other words, it feels good.

Whether or not a god exists has no bearing on our happiness.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:19 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,991,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Obviously you did not come of age in the 1960's where we lived by the motto, "If it feels good, do it."

Assuming your God exists, wouldn't he and Jesus prefer we spend Christmas with our freinds and loved ones? What do you all think?

We get together with our family, including our four wonderful grand-children, because we enjoy it. In other words, it feels good.

Whether or not a god exists has no bearing on our happiness.
I should have bolded the part i was responding about.

See above.

If the OP don't believe God or Jesus exist, what does it matter what they prefer. Meaning God and Jesus.
You can't have it both ways and remain a influential aspect in someone's life.
Maybe church is what "Feels good to them" rather than entertaining an unbelievers wishes.

The OP don't make me want to come to their house with selfishness being the primary directive.

I grew up in the 60's, it didn't feel good. Women became whores, Men became animals.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:51 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,917,786 times
[quote]
Quote:
I should have bolded the part i was responding about.

See above.

If the OP don't believe God or Jesus exist, what does it matter what they prefer. Meaning God and Jesus.
Was speaking from the perspective of a believer.

Quote:
The OP don't make me want to come to their house with selfishness being the primary directive.
Selfishness? What selfishness? Didn't know wanting toi be around family was selfish. First Ive heard that one.

Quote:
I grew up in the 60's, it didn't feel good. Women became whores, Men became animals.
What a fine time to be alive. The first glimpse of freedom from false doctrine and embracing our animalistic selves foir what we really are, animals.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:40 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,991,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Was speaking from the perspective of a believer.
interesting.

Quote:
Selfishness? What selfishness? Didn't know wanting toi be around family was selfish. First Ive heard that one.
Wanting is the root of selfishness.

The Lord is my Sheppard "I shall not want". Wanting brings about anger, selfishness, jealousy and a number of other failings.
His will be done, not mine (yours).....

Quote:
What a fine time to be alive. The first glimpse of freedom from false doctrine and embracing our animalistic selves foir what we really are, animals.
Freedom's counter part is Free-doom....

Sorry you consider yourself an Animal. Discipline is a virtue that Animals are not held to.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,917,786 times
[quote]
Quote:
interesting.

Wanting is the root of selfishness.

The Lord is my Sheppard "I shall not want". Wanting brings about anger, selfishness, jealousy and a number of other failings.
His will be done, not mine (yours).....
quote]
Take things out of context much? What that verse REALLY means is that the Lord provides, and so we shall not want. Not that we Shoulodn't want as if it were a bad thing.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:27 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,420,357 times
Spend time with those whom you love in heart, mind and body.
The place of worship comes from within, not that of brick and mortar.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Spend time with those whom you love in heart, mind and body.
The place of worship comes from within, not that of brick and mortar.
Amen, Jerwade!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,420,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen, Jerwade!
WHITE AS SNOW, AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU MY FRIEND

Old 12-25-2011, 07:52 AM

122 posts, read 185,869 times
to all the loved ones caught up in the day

[SIZE=4]REPENT FROM CHRISTMAS: A Message To Pagan Christian Hypocrites [/SIZE]

REPENT FROM CHRISTMAS: A Message To Pagan Christian Hypocrites - YouTube

[SIZE=4]SNL Santa Special [/SIZE]

SNL Santa Special is both funny and educational... Join Santa (Michael Rood) as he explains the truth about Christmas in this short video.
[SIZE=4]
SNL Santa Special - YouTube

[/SIZE] [SIZE=4]CHRISTMAS EXPOSED: The Truth Your Pastor Won't Tell You [/SIZE]

CHRISTMAS EXPOSED: The Truth Your Pastor Won't Tell You - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity