Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,106,222 times

Advertisements

What’s with Protestants and Catholics and their hate of knowledge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Xv4mV1BIs

In the early years, the Catholics hierarchy was against the reading of scriptures. In that day, to question any dogma was often met with violence. It took Martin Luther to end Catholic monopoly of biblical interpretation yet it can be argued that he did so for political, monetary and not religious reasons. Germany was losing too much wealth to Rome and he used his theses against indulgences to split from the Catholic Church.

Since that day, the Spanish inquisition, and Catholic/Protestant policies have pushes for only the biblical interpretations that have been sanctioned by the various Church hierarchies to be accepted. IOW, they are to control your theosis or apotheosis.

Being a Gnostic Christian, I of course ignore such commands. If you are one of faith then you cannot. You must kowtow to whatever sect you belong to and believe as they believe.

Most Catholics and Protestants I talk to tell me that we are not to judge God. Strange as this condition excludes them of course, as they have judged their God to be good. The rest of us are fine if we agree and since we cannot judge God on our own, we are not allowed to judge anything but good. Judging God as evil is not allowed.

To judge, one needs knowledge first and foremost. Eden shows that God did not want Adam and Eve to have knowledge of good and evil. The early Catholic Church followed suit by burning competing gospels and killing members of other Christian sects that did not convert. Protestant sects and their hierarchies, by insisting that theosis is under their guidance only, also discourage questioning and judging and acquiring knowledge.

“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.
Reason is a *****, the greatest enemy that faith has.”
Martin Luther

What do the churches fear with a more intelligent population?

Are they afraid that with knowledge, people will stop believing in talking animals and other fantasies, miracles and magic and realize that their faith has no clothes?

http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A2KLqIgQNfZOE3gAgaYWFQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBnc GdyMzQ0BHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZAM-?p=hans+cristian+anderson+emperor%27s+new+clothes& fr=yfp-t-715&ei=utf-8&fr2=piv-web&n=21&tnr=20

Are so called religious folk following religions and Gods or are they following tradition and culture as this following indicates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYigmGyN2RQ&feature=youtu.be

Is that why the various Abrahamic cults are not reconciling their doctrinal differences and not seeking knowledge and unification?

A & E were punished for seeking knowledge and becoming as Gods.

The Church punishes any that seek knowledge that does not match Church dogma. True or not.

Just how stupid does the Church want their adherents? Do they want slaves the same way their God does?

As a believer, just how big of a blinder are you willing to wear to follow your Church and God?

How much B S are you willing to eat from your Church hierarchy to maintain the delusion that you believe in an invisible miracle working absentee super God?

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
What’s with Protestants and Catholics and their hate of knowledge?

DL

Good post!

I believe the Catholic church is starting to come around on this subject. Most Jesuits are amazing academicians and Catholic Universities do not preach religion to the student body.

The Pope invited Stephen Hawkings to the Vatican and accepted the Big Bang Theory with the condition God started the Bang.

The Big bang was first proposed by a Catholic Priest Georges Lamaitre. The mathematical theories of Lemaitre were corroborated by Hubble's observations.

The Pope also accepts Darwin.

The Protestants have many more issues regarding true knowledge.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM

420 posts, read 805,257 times
Are you aware that the Catholic Church was responsible for lay-people getting educated? Back during the Roman period education was reserved only for the rich upperclass. The Catholic Church made it their mission to expand education for everyone and also started the university system and hospitals as we know it.

Nice bit of historical revision on your part.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Are you aware that the Catholic Church was responsible for lay-people getting educated? Back during the Roman period education was reserved only for the rich upperclass. The Catholic Church made it their mission to expand education for everyone and also started the university system and hospitals as we know it.

Monks also preserved knowledge by handwriting books before the invention of the printer.

Furthermore:

"The printing press was invented in the Holy Roman Empire by the German Johannes Gutenberg in around 1440."

This further helped the spread of knowledge.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Good post!

I believe the Catholic church is starting to come around on this subject. Most Jesuits are amazing academicians and Catholic Universities do not preach religion to the student body.

The Pope invited Stephen Hawkings to the Vatican and accepted the Big Bang Theory with the condition God started the Bang.

The Big bang was first proposed by a Catholic Priest Georges Lamaitre. The mathematical theories of Lemaitre were corroborated by Hubble's observations.

The Pope also accepts Darwin.

The Protestants have many more issues regarding true knowledge.
Thanks and I agree.

Yet the rank and file Catholic is not far from fundamentalism as they must, to some extent, have to believe in a literal and historic figure.
I have also been banned enough times out of Catholic sites to know this as a fact. They are literalists and have hurt their thinking along with the fundamentals.

Regards
DL

Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Where those schools before or after the Spanish Inquisition?

Did they push creationism or evolution in those schools?

Regards
DL

Last edited by Greatest I am; 01-20-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Thanks and I agree.

Yet the rank and file Catholic is not far from fundamentalism as they must, to some extent, have to believe in a literal and historic figure.
I have also been banned enough times out of Catholic sites to know this as a fact. They are literalists and have hurt their thinking along with the fundamentals.

Regards
DL

I will say that you will find plenty militants in Catholicism, Atheism, Judaism, and within the Protestant and Muslim folks.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:

Nice bit on yours. Your anscestors have always been the same, even when they were pagan. religion is but a funny looking hat, the fashions
change. The Catholic Church educated no one unless they fed themselves first. What Rome had was freemarked private education. As Voltaire
said, all the Jesuits taught him was Latin and the Stupidities.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I will say that you will find plenty militants in Catholicism, Atheism, Judaism, and within the Protestant and Muslim folks.
Militancy does not bother me.
Even Bible God is seen as rewarding rebellion.

Believing that fantasy, miracles, magic and talking animals are all real does.

Regards
DL

Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Nice bit on yours. Your anscestors have always been the same, even when they were pagan. religion is but a funny looking hat, the fashions
change. The Catholic Church educated no one unless they fed themselves first. What Rome had was freemarked private education. As Voltaire
said, all the Jesuits taught him was Latin and the Stupidities.

And Voltaire became a great philosopher with that Jesuit education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity