Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,555,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes, the older Christian churches all conquered other peoples, tortured and killed thousands to force their version of faith onto others. Oh wait, no they didn't.
You obvioulsy didn't understand my post. The RCC is not just being bashed for it the sinful actions of its fallen leaders in the past (all humans are fallen and sinful), it is being bashed for having "pagan" and "evil" beliefs and rituals that "are not Scriptural". Yet many of those same beliefs and rituals that are "not Scriptural" are also shared by the Orthodox and other ancient churches, but they are rarely if ever criticized.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,512,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Pallez?

Did I ever say it wasn't? Of course it's okay to the the Father and the Son. What contradicts all logic is to say that they are one and the same, because fathers are physically distinct from their sons.

Actually, the Bible doesn't actually say "the Virgin Mary was impregnated by the Holy Spirit." It says, "...The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God." At any rate, since Christ's conception isn't the topic of this thread, I'll not pursue the topic.
Nor does the Bible say that they are "personages" either.... but that doesn't seem to defy logic so as not to believe it either.

God revealed that the Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM

418 posts, read 1,091,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The fact that God is triune is clearly shown in the Scriptures and is not dependent on the Johannine Comma. The Roman Catholic Church did not invent the doctrine of the trinity.

From the beginning of the church-age, attempts were made to understand the relationship between God the Father and Jesus Christ, and the nature of Jesus Christ. It took time to iron out the details and come to a correct understanding of the Trinity. The church generally has always understood that the Bible teaches that Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are God along with the Father, but a number of heresies developed. Some people denied the deity of Christ while others denied His humanity. This necessitated the development of a better understanding and a formal declaration of the doctrine of the Trinity.

That there are three Persons in the Godhead - God the Father, God the Son - Jesus Christ, and God the Holy Spirit is easily shown by the fact that each of the three is called God. Jesus Christ (John 1:1; Phil 2:5-8 just to name two passages). The Holy Spirit (Acts 5:3-4). Further, that the Holy Spirit is a Person is seen in John 16:13-15 which states that the Holy Spirit does not speak on His own initiative, but speaks what He hears from the Father.

It is stated outright that it was Jesus Christ who created the universe and that it is He who holds all things together (John 1:3; Col 1:16-17). This can be said only of God. Jesus referred to Himself as the Almighty (Rev 1:8).

Each of the three Persons of the trinity are co-equal and co-eternal with the other two. God is One in His essence. Each of the three Persons of the Godhead have to an infinite degree all of the attributes which make up their essence, which makes them equal. The essence of God consists of His sovereignty, righteousness, justice, love, eternal life, omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, immutability, and veracity.

The only subordination within the Godhead is in relation to the predetermined plan of God (Acts 2:23) in which each Person of the Godhead agreed to perform certain functions, certain roles within that plan both with regard to creation and with regard to God's plan of salvation for man. For instance, Jesus Christ agreed to enter into the human race as a man and submit Himself to the will of the First Person of the Trinity - the Father (John 1:1,14; Phil 2:5-8).

For an exegesis of Phil 2:5-7 refer to ---> Philippians 2:5-7 Commentary
All true, thank you, but don't overlook Matthew 28:18. ----- God Bless.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The only real problem I have with the trinity doctrine is from those who tie believing in the Trinity to salvation. If someone believe in Jesus as their Saviour then the details in that respect are irrelevant. A persons perspective of Jesus as an individual cannot diminish his capacity as Saviour since it is not human belief that empowers Jesus in the first place.
Of course it wouldn't matter who God is because all are going to heaven anyway in your convenient opinion. But if you're going to believe the truth ....... it's a very big problem.

The triune God is the only true God and there is no other name given to men that we must be saved.

So when the Father is called God, the Son is called God and the Holy Spirit is called God that would rule out any possibility to be saved by those who reject the Triune God because false gods don't save.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,956,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Of course it wouldn't matter who God is because all are going to heaven anyway in your convenient opinion. But if you're going to believe the truth ....... it's a very big problem.
Well nice try to use this as a platform to rail against my personal beliefs, but you fail.

Quote:

The triune God is the only true God and there is no other name given to men that we must be saved.
Whether I see God as Triune is irrelevant to salvation. Your personal doctrinal beliefs do not save you or anyone else. And they certainly have no bearing upon my walk.

Quote:

So when the Father is called God, the Son is called God and the Holy Spirit is called God that would rule out any possibility to be saved by those who reject the Triune God because false gods don't save.

Jesus Christ that is spoken of in the bible is my saviour, he is not false, so your religious doctrines that try to demean my faith is your problem and not mine.

Jesus Christs power has nothing to do with my human perspective, he is my Saviour, and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Jesus Christ that is spoken of in the bible is my saviour, he is not false, so your religious doctrines that try to demean my faith is your problem and not mine.

Jesus Christs power has nothing to do with my human perspective, he is my Saviour, and there isn't anything you can do about it.
Jesus Christ that is spoken of in the Bible demeans many false faiths ......... and that is a problem for many.

The Father is called God in the Bible
The Son is called God in the Bible
The Holy Spirit is called God in the Bible

"It is God who saves me" Psalm 68:20

No Triune God ....... no salvation.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,956,089 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ that is spoken of in the Bible demeans many false faiths ......... and that is a problem for many.
Could be, Jesus in the Bible is my Saviour, is he yours?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Nor does the Bible say that they are "personages" either.... but that doesn't seem to defy logic so as not to believe it either.
What do you call them, twin? Every time I've ever heard someone who believes in the Trinity explain it, they say that God is three persons in one God. So "personages" or "persons"... what's the big difference between those two words?

Quote:
God revealed that the Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God.
I can't argue with that. That's exactly what I believe.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:01 PM

698 posts, read 648,903 times
Quote:

The Father is called God in the Bible
The Son is called God in the Bible
The Holy Spirit is called God in the Bible

"It is God who saves me" Psalm 68:20

No Triune God ....... no salvation.

What do you mean by the term "God". Are you using the western usage?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Could be, Jesus in the Bible is my Saviour, is he yours?
Jesus is part of the Triune God .... to deny the Triune God is to deny Jesus as the God who saves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity