Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM

817 posts, read 739,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Refer to 2 Samuel 2:18. 'and he told them to teach the sons of Judah the song of the bow; behold it is written in the book of Jasher.

The song of the bow may have been a lament that David taught his men to sing while they practiced the bow.

The study note in the NASB Study Bible says, with regard to Joshua 10:13...

'10:13 book of Jashar. An early account of Israel's wars (perhaps all in poetic form; see 2 Sam 1:18; see also note on Judg 5:1-31), but never a part of canonical Scripture...'

The Bible knowledge Commentary, Old Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, p.351, mentions...

'(The Book of Jashar is a Heb. literary collection of songs written in poetic style to honor the accomplishments of Israel's leaders' cf. David's ''lament of the bow'' in 2 Sam. 1:17-27.)'

In like manner, many of the Psalms were also songs written in poetic form.
Interesting. And nice. But since Psalms was INCLUDED, this establishes that whether Jasher was poetic or not had nothing to do with it's validity.

At the same time...I think it's a very minor point regarding Biblical inerrancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM

817 posts, read 739,729 times
Quote:
You still do not comprehend what I said and apparently are unable to. Satan did not add anything to that which is itself already Scripture. Satan attempted to add books which are not Scripture in among books which are Scripture. The Jews never regarded the apocrypha as Scripture.

And I just got through telling you that the lying pens of the Scribes does not mean what you think it means.

Refer to the two links I provided.

If you can't understand this, then I pity you. But I'll not waste my time arguing with you about it.

Maybe the Jews didn't...but the Christians (like Paul) regarded some of the Apocrypha as scripture, yes? The Bible of Paul's day included these books. Whether the Jews did or not at that time might not matter, since they rejected Christ anyway. Their opinions certainly wouldn't have mattered by the time Paul came on the scene...which was still only about 60AD or so...or earlier.

If this is really the correct take, then it should be the simplest thing to comprehend (even to 5 year old) what the solution to this "argument" is.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
WHY WE SHOULD STUDY THE BIBLE

Read the Bible. Study the Bible. In it you will learn of God's will for your life. Submit yourself to that will and you will receive the blessings that God has planned from eternity for you to have.

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the LORD swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth" (Deuteronomy 11:18-21).

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God" (Colossians 3:16).

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15).

"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true" (Acts 17:11).

"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts" (Deuteronomy 6:6).

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (Romans 15:4).

"These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come" (1 Corinthians 10:11).

"I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word"(Psalm 119:16)

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me" (John 5:39).

"Look in the scroll of the LORD and read" (Isaiah 34:16).

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Hi Katie. You do realize that the Christians in this discussion are not saying that the Bible isn't inspired, nor that it doesn't contain words from God. I realize that the differences in the way you and they view the bible do leave a very large gap that isn't always easy to bridge, but do you really think you have NO common ground? You all consider Christ to be the Word of God. Don't you think that's a major point of agreement that can be built off of?

I just want to share with you that I was one of those Christians who believed that the Bible was the inerrant Word of God for the majority of my life. People I trusted told me that if one didn't accept it as inerrant, one would have no reason to believe any of it, and by default would have no reason to believe in God. I took that very much to heart and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy when, after much study over the past few years I was forced to acknowledge that I could no longer accept the bible as inerrant, and my faith crumbled completely.

But I knew that there were Christians who did not view the Bible in the same way as I had been taught but who still had living, thriving faith in God. I have been taking the time to learn from them why that is. In many ways, they have helped me to begin finding my way through the wreckage of what, I believe, was a shaky foundation for faith in God (a book written by fallible men).

I'm not trying to change your view of the bible, only to give you a different perspective on those who view it differently than you do.
No worries there. My view of the Bible will never change. It is the inspired, inerrant word of God.

Moderator cut: delete.

My goal for this thread is to encourage people to read and study the Bible, not to discredit and discourage people from ever wanting to pick it up.

Blessings,

Katie

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-29-2012 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: deleted the insults to those whos beliefs slightly differ from yours..

Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Mike,

First off, thank you for all of your posts in this thread. I found them to be especially informative. I learned some things I didn't know about.

Second, I seem to remember you going to great lengths to explain "the lying pens of the scribes." You spent days posting about it.

Moderator cut: orphaned
Blessings,

Katie
Thanks.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-29-2012 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: orphaned response to deleted part of quoted post

Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Maybe the Jews didn't...but the Christians (like Paul) regarded some of the Apocrypha as scripture, yes?

The Bible of Paul's day included these books. Whether the Jews did or not at that time might not matter, since they rejected Christ anyway. Their opinions certainly wouldn't have mattered by the time Paul came on the scene...which was still only about 60AD or so...or earlier.

If this is really the correct take, then it should be the simplest thing to comprehend (even to 5 year old) what the solution to this "argument" is.
The apostles did not consider the apocrypha to be Scripture. The apocrypha contains many things which contradict the Bible.

There were many Christians who did consider that some book or other (The Shepherd of Hermes for example, which off the top of my head I think was written in the late 1st or early 2nd century A.D), was divinely inspired. But it was not, and later determined that it was not.

A book is divinely inspired because it has its source in God. Not because people regard it as such. Nothing that contradicts Scripture can itself be Scripture. The apocryphal books which found themselves in the Septuagint were written during the so called 400 silent years when God was not speaking to Israel because of her disobedience.

Remember that the Septuagint which itself was produced during that time was a translation of the already existing Hebrew Scriptures.

And with that, I think I am done with the subject.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
No worries there. My view of the Bible will never change. It is the inspired, inerrant word of God. <snip>
As I said, I wasn't trying to change your opinion of the topic. Just thought you might reconsider the idea that you have NO common ground with other believers in Christ, simply because you have a different view of the bible.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM

130 posts, read 153,062 times
There are many voices that try to get your attention all the time. The enemy is firing thoughts into our mind on a daily basis, and people themselves give us ideas and their own morality systems. How in the world can we know when God is speaking to us, versus all these other voices? The answer is simple. By familiarizing ourselves with God's nature, which is physically recorded in the Bible. So if a voice comes in telling us to do something, or a new idea pop in our head and we ask ourselves "Is this God speaking?", we will know whether it is God or not based on if this voice agrees with Scripture.

How many times have we said "Something told me not to do that"? A lot of times that "Something" is the Holy Spirit. The more we study the Bible, the more we will recognize God's voice.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
You still do not comprehend what I said and apparently are unable to. Satan did not add anything to that which is itself already Scripture. Satan attempted to add books which are not Scripture in among books which are Scripture. The Jews never regarded the apocrypha as Scripture.

And I just got through telling you that the lying pens of the Scribes does not mean what you think it means.

Refer to the two links I provided.

If you can't understand this, then I pity you. But I'll not waste my time arguing with you about it.
Sorry Mike if the Apoc are from satan, he did NOT just attempt to defile the bible He did it as they were IN, IN, IN the bible of Pauls day.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
There are many voices that try to get your attention all the time. The enemy is firing thoughts into our mind on a daily basis, and people themselves give us ideas and their own morality systems. How in the world can we know when God is speaking to us, versus all these other voices? The answer is simple. By familiarizing ourselves with God's nature, which is physically recorded in the Bible. So if a voice comes in telling us to do something, or a new idea pop in our head and we ask ourselves "Is this God speaking?", we will know whether it is God or not based on if this voice agrees with Scripture.

How many times have we said "Something told me not to do that"? A lot of times that "Something" is the Holy Spirit. The more we study the Bible, the more we will recognize God's voice.
Great post! Thank you.

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity