Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times

Advertisements

There are so many threads within this sub-forum put "on steroids" by all these carefully chosen OT and NT passages. I can barely remember where they all are, though I've probably heard all the readings from the OT and the NT over the years, from going to church, catechism and a lot of Catholic school. Sometimes I feel as though I shouldn't even post on the Christianity sub-forum, since I don't remember who talked about "the mustard seed" and "the eye of the needle." Anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,963 times
dont feel bad that you dont have scripture memorized. I purposely dont try to memorize any scripture. I know that if it impacts me it will be part of me. but i dont memorize on purpose to seem that i know alot. Some do know alot and that is fine, but i write from my heart and not my brain. Love God. Love People

Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There are so many threads within this sub-forum put "on steroids" by all these carefully chosen OT and NT passages. I can barely remember where they all are, though I've probably heard all the readings from the OT and the NT over the years, from going to church, catechism and a lot of Catholic school. Sometimes I feel as though I shouldn't even post on the Christianity sub-forum, since I don't remember who talked about "the mustard seed" and "the eye of the needle." Anyone else feel the same way?

Absolutely. Legalism aside, it's hard sometimes when your heart is where it needs to be, but the scriptural knowledge is sketchy.

Please don't let it discourage you!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
I would rather discuss issues using reason and logic. However, many forum members simply quote bible passages without analysis.

Quite often I also quote the bible when replying to them. I say, if you live by the sword you must also die by the sword.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:19 AM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter one bit. And there is nothing to feel "inferior" about.

With that said, I'm going to quote something for you to ponder.
(Edited to add: Yes, I realize now i'm quoting scripture to debunk a myth about quoting scripture. Bear with me. lol.)

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

My opinion:
Jesus came to point the way to the Father. God. God is love.
The two commands are about what? learning scripture? memorizing the bible? No. the two commands are about love.
Love God - (get to know and understand God. God is love)
Love your neighbor as yourself.

The message is a simple yet profound one. A person could memorize the bible and quote scripture all day and all night long, but if they are not seeking to cultivate love, what does it matter? All that memorization, all of that scripture quoting is nothing but meaningless DUST.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 03-01-2012 at 11:40 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Do a quick search and Matthew 19: 24...Jesus said ..``It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God...``...means the rich man does not need Jesus to make him a rich man he is already got it all , and may be to proud for the love of charity from God .......Then in Mark 4: 31-32..Jesus said ...``Faith is like a grain of mustard seed, which it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth, but when it is sown, it grows up and becomes greater that all herbs, and shoots out great branches, so that the birds of the air may lodge under the shadow of it ``.... See the faith or confidence in the Lord can be very small , but the Lord sees your heart and will multiply the blessing He will bring ........ Did that scripture make you feel inferior , Well the Lord Jesus do not what to make any body feel inferior , as it is not in His heart , But the will of God is to bring the Word of God to everybody , Because Jesus said ` My people perish because they have no vision `..... So Jesus truth bring vision from God.....

Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Over half the responses to the op have been deleted as off topic or orphaned.
Here is the op ..Please respond to it and not derail this thread criticizing those who do share scriptures to enhance their responses to threads in this sub forum..

Quote:

Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not much to 'realize' when him and his wife had multiple sexual partners at swingers parties, he smoked pot and shot heroin and they both died from aids. Imigination is pretty non existant with those actions.

From your perspective, perhaps.
Amongst their self-destructive behaviours, how do you know what was in their heart?

When people engage in self-destructive behaviours... most of the time, it's a call for help.

Jesus came to find the lost and heal the sick.

I am confident, though they are no longer on this side of life, they will indeed be healed.

peace.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM

19,726 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:

Why, yes. I feel the exact same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity