Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 AM

30 posts, read 62,819 times

Advertisements

I know a couple who drink beer like water, smoke pot, and the wife curses more than the husband does. The never use God's name in vain in their profanity.

Are these sins in the eyes of God?
If they are, then they are committing these sins on a daily basis, but the family goes to church every week and never miss church, carry a Bible to church, etc.

I am sure in my mind that crimes against people like stealing, killing, etc. are sins.

Pot, beer, and cursing seems to be ok for this family.
Beer different than liquor?
I'm confused by what I see with this family.

Does something have to be against the laws of a state, or country, to be a sin?

What is a complete list of sins in the eyes of God?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 AM

14,487 posts, read 20,678,405 times
Maybe others can give their ideas.

Are the 10 Commandments the only sins as seen by God?

10 Commandments - List of the 10 Commandments of the Bible

profanity, pot, and beer are not on the list.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,888,562 times
I believe any substance that can affect the body, and used to excess, is a sin. The Bible says drunkedness is a sin, not drinking. (Even Jesus drank wine, but never so much as to become drunk)
If your friends drink beer "like water", then it probably is a sin. If they had one beer a day, then no. Personally, I believe it's best if Christians leave alcohol and pot alone (it's a bad witness), but that's just "IMO".

Bud

Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,849,341 times
I think we as humans can feel if something is a sin.
For example,homosexuality isn't in the 10 commandments,yet if I had realtions with another woman I would feel very guilty afetrwards.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,317,499 times
Love covers a multitude of sin. The stumbling block for Christianity is being mindful of sin, instead of being mindful of Life and peace.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,795,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice35 View Post
Surely you jest....

I suppose a good place to start is with the Seven Deadly Sins, first declared by Evegrius and later modified by Pope Gregory the Great

Summary

Good place to find some depth

Seems to me that History Channel had a pretty good series on this topic a few years ago

Link to HC Store Selling DVD's

I also see that there are some YouTube presentations available. I have not checked these out.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:40 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,992,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice35 View Post
I know a couple who drink beer like water, smoke pot, and the wife curses more than the husband does. The never use God's name in vain in their profanity.

Are these sins in the eyes of God?
If they are, then they are committing these sins on a daily basis, but the family goes to church every week and never miss church, carry a Bible to church, etc.

I am sure in my mind that crimes against people like stealing, killing, etc. are sins.

Pot, beer, and cursing seems to be ok for this family.
Beer different than liquor?
I'm confused by what I see with this family.

Does something have to be against the laws of a state, or country, to be a sin?

If a person is a Christian/a believer than their body is the temple of God and we are not to defile our body/temple. Smoking cigarettes and or pot is defiling our bodies.

1 Corin. 3:
16 ¶ Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

I don't think cussing is a sin, but it's not, as another person stated, a very good "witness" to others who are watching/listening. [Believers are not to cause a weaker brother to stumbled].

Ro 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Now if I hit my thumb with a hammer I do say a 'cuss' word, but it's not my normal way of talking and generally there's no one else around to hear me.

Also, obviously drinking too much of an intoxicating beverage [smoking] is first, just plain not good for the body, [kills brain cells] and again is not a good witness. And as another person said, the Scriptures speak against getting drunk.

So are they committing sin? Well, I guess it's between them and God?

ETA: as far as a complete list of sins the 10 commandments are a condensed version of all the sins listed in the OT. If you want to read them read the books of Leviticus, and Deuteronomy

Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times
Gal 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
Gal 5:20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions Gal 5:21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Col 3:8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.

As far as the pot goes, they are breaking the laws of the govt., which is also a sin.

If you want a complete list you'll have to read the New Testament. I don't know of a specific list that anyone has compiled.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:34 PM

8,182 posts, read 6,934,946 times
Sin = non-love.

Focus on love.
Ponder 1 Corinthians 13.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,029,011 times
One sin that Christians are called to obey is not to take an account of the sin of other people as there is No Love , but you must judge yourself and even ask Holy Spirit to discern sin and demons for you as you may not see the spirit as clearly as Holy Spirit........On the other hand when Judging your self we need to resist pride and all sin where pride and selfishness is rooted, which can mean devaluing others and even yourself with the abuse of alcohol, and drugs and condemnation and judgmental prejudices ...... Then there is the sin of sickness and poor health were people abuse their bodies with poor nutrition and lack of prayer for deliverance is a sin of non resisting the devil and the rejection of repentance and being cleaned for the Lord and His blessing ......... Which is also unbelief and laziness in the promises of the Lord and the faithless which pushes Jesus and His spirit away, which is sin ....... Then there is rejecting Jesus in public places and before men were people need a witness and the Lord set up opportunities to spread the Witness of Christ........ Then there is division in the body of Christ , were Christians hate other Christians even if they have Jesus in their spirit as to Reject Jesus ......... When the Lord pruned here years ago God would show me the demon and His sin and then the opposite where Jesus would be , and it was a troubling time to be pruned by the Lord to be closer to God and His purposes ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity