Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,114,296 times

Advertisements

Southern Baptists, in general, think Catholics are not Christians and some even consider them cult members. My friend has a master's from a prominent Southern Baptist seminary and is working on his doctorate. He believes that if a Catholic or Christ of Church member had a true salvation experience, that they would most definitely be led by the Holy Spirit to leave that church, so if they have not left yet, it's evidence that they are not truly saved. I assume he learned this belief at seminary. He said most of the "up and coming" pastors/seminary graduates are Calvinists, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Just for your frame of reference, I'm a Catholic. Every pastor I can remember has always said that Catholics are not the only saved people. Even further, Christians aren't the only saved people. There is room in heaven for EVERYBODY. If you think your religon is the only "saved" religon, imagine this.....

Is Ghandi burning in hell?
Is Mother Theresa burning in hell?
Are all of the Jews who were murdered in the Holocost buring in hell?

I seriously doubt it. Our God is a loving God. Your deeds here on earth dictate whether you are saved or not.
What a beautiful post! Spoken like a true Christian.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,137,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What a beautiful post! Thank you for being such a good example of a true Christian.
Thank you. People try to make it more complicated than it really has to be. If people would only apply some common sense in their thinking (not only religon, but all thinking) this world would be a much nicer place.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 AM

467 posts, read 467,896 times
I say.. "If you reject the scriptures then you are NOT CHRISTIAN!!" It is Just This Simple!

SCriptures all CHRISTIANS BELIEVE!(below)

*Jesus is "ALWAYS with his ONE CHURCH, even to the very end of the age"! Jesus did not leave his Church, Satan did not overpower Jesus! ALWAYS WITH!!
*The Church Jesus formed is HOLY it is BLAMELESS!
*The Church Jesus formed is "The Pillar and the foundation of truth"!
*Jesus said.. "Listen to the Church or be considered PAGAN!"
*The Church Jesus formed is Jesus' "ONE BODY!"
*Jesus COMMISSIONED His Church to; "Make disciples of all nations by BAPTIZING"! Christians have always believed "Baptism saves, it makes Disciples"!
*Jesus made Peter the SHEPHERD of his Church, and Peter's successors have been Shepherding for the past two thousand years.. Shepherding God' flock, until Jesus returns!
*Jesus gave all of God' authority to his One Church to TEACH all nations!
*Jesus' Church was formed by Jesus, not by men!
*Jesus died for his CHURCH!
*Jesus' Church is his BRIDE!
*Jesus formed "ONE CHURCH" and it was NOT a protestant one!
*Jesus nourishes his CHURCH giving his body "LIFE" with his Flesh in the form of Bread!
*Jesus' Church uses the scriptures to; "Teach, Train, Rebuke and Correct" the scriptures are USEFUL they are NOT alone used!
* The Bereans were the more noble because they Listened to the TEACHING of CHURCH, the Thessalonian's were the Less Noble because they believed in Scriptures and ONLY scriptures!

Christians have always believed the scriptures!
Scriptures say: "Reject the words of Jesus and then you Reject Jesus!" Christians believe this also, because it is scripture!
John 12:48
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

Scriptures are clear: Reject the scriptures and then CONDEMN yourself..

FACT: Christians believe the scriptures, Catholic's are Christian!!
Dogknox

Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,137,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
I say.. "If you reject the scriptures then you are NOT CHRISTIAN!!" It is Just This Simple!

SCriptures all CHRISTIANS BELIEVE!(below)

*Jesus is "ALWAYS with his ONE CHURCH, even to the very end of the age"! Jesus did not leave his Church, Satan did not overpower Jesus! ALWAYS WITH!!
*The Church Jesus formed is HOLY it is BLAMELESS!
*The Church Jesus formed is "The Pillar and the foundation of truth"!
*Jesus said.. "Listen to the Church or be considered PAGAN!"
*The Church Jesus formed is Jesus' "ONE BODY!"
*Jesus COMMISSIONED His Church to; "Make disciples of all nations by BAPTIZING"! Christians have always believed "Baptism saves, it makes Disciples"!
*Jesus made Peter the SHEPHERD of his Church, and Peter's successors have been Shepherding for the past two thousand years.. Shepherding God' flock, until Jesus returns!
*Jesus gave all of God' authority to his One Church to TEACH all nations!
*Jesus' Church was formed by Jesus, not by men!
*Jesus died for his CHURCH!
*Jesus' Church is his BRIDE!
*Jesus formed "ONE CHURCH" and it was NOT a protestant one!
*Jesus nourishes his CHURCH giving his body "LIFE" with his Flesh in the form of Bread!
*Jesus' Church uses the scriptures to; "Teach, Train, Rebuke and Correct" the scriptures are USEFUL they are NOT alone used!
* The Bereans were the more noble because they Listened to the TEACHING of CHURCH, the Thessalonian's were the Less Noble because they believed in Scriptures and ONLY scriptures!

Christians have always believed the scriptures!
Scriptures say: "Reject the words of Jesus and then you Reject Jesus!" Christians believe this also, because it is scripture!
John 12:48
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

Scriptures are clear: Reject the scriptures and then CONDEMN yourself..

FACT: Christians believe the scriptures, Catholic's are Christian!!
Dogknox
Dog, Are you saying that only Christians will be saved?

Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,502,937 times
Originally Posted by twin.spin
In the strickest sense, your pastor would be correct. Catholicism still maintains today the same issues that was present at the reformation:
1) The official declaration of papal infallibility... decreed by Vatican I in 1870, reaffirmed by Vatican II in the 1960s

2) The Council of Trent cursed the biblical doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone. It declared:
"If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than trust in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that it is by trust alone by which we are justified, let him be damned [anathema] (Canon XII).
3) Catholic teaching still gives a share in the work of salvation to Mary.. concerning her role in salvation the RCC catechism says:
Espousing the divine will for salvation wholeheartedly, without a single sin to restrain her, she gave herself entirely to the person and work of her Son; she did so in order to serve the mystery of redemption with him and dependent on him, by God's grace.
As St. Irenaeus says, "Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and the whole human race" (Par. 494).

4) Traditional Catholic doctrines such as granting equal authority to Scripture and tradition, purgatory, and the sacrifice of the mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Nothing "unchristian" there. Just a lot of misunderstanding on your part.
That's one way of wantonly not acknowledging the obvious .... who says that there is only selective hearing.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Originally Posted by twin.spin
In the strickest sense, your pastor would be correct. Catholicism still maintains today the same issues that was present at the reformation:
1) The official declaration of papal infallibility... decreed by Vatican I in 1870, reaffirmed by Vatican II in the 1960s

2) The Council of Trent cursed the biblical doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone. It declared:
"If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than trust in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that it is by trust alone by which we are justified, let him be damned [anathema] (Canon XII).

3) Catholic teaching still gives a share in the work of salvation to Mary.. concerning her role in salvation the RCC catechism says:
Espousing the divine will for salvation wholeheartedly, without a single sin to restrain her, she gave herself entirely to the person and work of her Son; she did so in order to serve the mystery of redemption with him and dependent on him, by God's grace.

As St. Irenaeus says, "Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and the whole human race" (Par. 494).

4) Traditional Catholic doctrines such as granting equal authority to Scripture and tradition, purgatory, and the sacrifice of the mass.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte
Nothing "unchristian" there. Just a lot of misunderstanding on your part.
That's one way of wantonly not acknowledging the obvious .... who says that there is only selective hearing.
??? You think all those teachings are "unchristian" because you don't understand them correctly. I didn't "acknowledge" them here because that is not what this thread is about and I didn't want to go off-topic. In another thread we can go through each one if you like.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:24 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,502,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
??? You think all those teachings are "unchristian" because you don't understand them correctly. I didn't "acknowledge" them here because that is not what this thread is about and I didn't want to go off-topic. In another thread we can go through each one if you like.

I do not know what another thread would accomplish for it wouldn't change:
  • The official declaration of papal infallibility
  • The Council of Trent cursed the biblical doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone
  • Catholic teaching still gives a share in the work of salvation to Mary
  • Traditional Catholic doctrines such as granting equal authority to Scripture and tradition, purgatory, and the sacrifice of the mass.
Pure catholicism is not christian, but there are Christian Catholics.
Meaning, there are Catholics who reject the dogma of catholicism doctrines and have the saving faith.

And the opposite is also a fact, there are protestants whose beliefs are such that would not make them christian either.... i.e
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...an-church.html

Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I do not know what another thread would accomplish for it wouldn't change:
  • The official declaration of papal infallibility
  • The Council of Trent cursed the biblical doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone
  • Catholic teaching still gives a share in the work of salvation to Mary
  • Traditional Catholic doctrines such as granting equal authority to Scripture and tradition, purgatory, and the sacrifice of the mass.
Pure catholicism is not christian, but there are Christian Catholics.
Meaning, there are Catholics who reject the dogma of catholicism doctrines and have the saving faith.

And the opposite is also a fact, there are protestants whose beliefs are such that would not make them christian either.... i.e
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...an-church.html
Well I won't continue to beat a dead horse. So go ahead and continue to show your ignorance of Catholic dogma. It's a free country.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 PM

467 posts, read 467,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Dog, Are you saying that only Christians will be saved?
Hello Iam4USC good to meet you..
Good question.. But no; I am saying "Catholic's believe the scriptures, and protestants must reject the scriptures!"
I am saying Catholic's are CHRISTIAN because; CHRISTIANS believe the scriptures!

Every Priest/Bishop I can remember has always said; "Catholics are not the only saved people."
Christians aren't the only saved people. There is room in heaven for EVERYBODY.

The CHURCH is in the Throne Room, the Apostles are sitting on thrones IN the throne room! The CHILDREN of the King are IN The Throne Room!
Iam4USC The Apostles are Catholic's, there was NO protestant's for sixteen hundred more years, after Jesus formed his ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC, APOSTOLIC Church!
ONLY Christians enter the Throne room, Only Christians are IN Jesus' family!
Christians Honor Mary their mother!
ALL "ADDED" to Jesus body by baptism, honor their MOTHER Mary!
Jesus honors Mary.. God COMMANDS: Honor your Mother! If Jesus did not honor Mary he would be sinning..IF..
If Jesus was to sin, he would not be perfect, he would not be God!

Disciples are Made by Baptism!
Pointing to his DISCIPLES Jesus said.. "Here are my brothers"!
Protestants reject Baptism as only symbolic, they reject Mary.. Simply because Mary is NOT She cannot be their mother..
Mary is the Mother of Jesus' BODY!!

The Great Commission: Matthew 28
"Go make Disciples of all nations BAPTIZING them..."

Baptism makes Jesus' BROTHERS!
Baptism makes Christians, Christians believe the scriptures!
Protestant's reject the scriptures and Baptism!

Dogknox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity