Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,521,568 times

Advertisements

It was asked of me from a friend here (who is athesist) .. why did Jesus have to die? [emphasis on "why"]

A:
2 Corinthians 7:10
Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
Isaiah 30:15
This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.

Isaiah 59:20
“The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,” declares the LORD.

Acts 17:30
In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM

14,918 posts, read 17,235,494 times
I believe that when we realize that we are lost and in need of a Savior, and realize what Jesus did when He gave His life for us, then we understand how much God loves us. We understand that Jesus is our Savior, the One who understands us, walked among us, lived with us, was tempted like us, laid down His life for us. And we are sorrowful for our behavior and actions, and attitudes, all that we have said and done that is contrary to who He is and what He is all about. We repent because we realize how much He loves us and now, we are to live for Him. He is our Savior. The love He showed us causes us to want to turn away from sin, anything that opposes Him and now we want to live for Him. This is how we love Him, by living for Him. Repentance is a part of love. We love because He first loved us. Repentance brings healing. God bless and peace.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmyler View Post
Exactly what I would have said Shana! Amen, amen and amen

1 John 4: 18 ...."perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love."

God doesn't want us to repent because we fear punishment, but because He loves us so very much, that he sent his son to die on the cross, while we were still sinners
Job 34:33
Should God then reward you on your terms, when you refuse to repent?
So when a person refuses to believe in the true God... then what?
So when a person refuses to live a chase and decent life ... then what?

Why would Jesus say this if "love" is all there is? :
Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 23:33
“You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM

303 posts, read 431,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

Your mind seems to focus only on this life....try looking to the Sabbath day...the day of healing.

He is healing you of all sickness (all sin). Isn't that love! If you no longer have sin within your members and he commands you to repent...you will repent. Stop looking to that which corrupts and start looking to the day of incorruption.

The day of incorruption...Are we not all repentful then? living a chase and perfect life.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,372,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

The last 2 scriptures you quoted are for those riddled with the leaven of the pharisee. As for the first verse you quoted,Jesus taught freely you have received freely give, give to everyone who asks of you. David said if you rewarded us according to our iniquity who would stand.

I don't know what it is with you Twin, but you seem to always want to depict God as being mad and having to be held back from consuming up folk. You find what appears to you as damning bible verses and inject them with your concept you have of God. How you ever have abiding peace and joy, believing like you do is beyond me.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 PM

14,918 posts, read 17,235,494 times
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi, being condemned to Gehenna does not mean that God does not love the person. His judgments, wrath, condemnation have a higher purpose and will be instrumental in causing them to see and acknowledge their sin. Consider what happened to King Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 4), for example. Destruction comes before restoration and manifests the love of God. There is something called tough love.

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-25-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,698,751 times
I Assume because of blood sacrifice is why pure blood had to be shed to complete the ritual.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,372,646 times
Quote:
Maybe we are being punked, maybe he is really an atheist and just post controversial topics and responses. Lol
As the Light is dawning in our hearts,Jesus appears to those Beholding him more and more wonderful,and they cannot but share Him in that Light, and can never go back in their minds to the ignorant way they once viewed God, this Light does not yet appear that it's dawned on Twin.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,870,191 times
It was asked of me from a friend here (who is athesist) .. why did Jesus have to die? [emphasis on "why"]

Eternal God is holy, righteous and just. He seeks an eternal love-based relationship with people who will choose to love Him. (True love can only be based on free-will choice to accept/receive or reject/ignore God's love and authority over one's life). All men (Adam included) have chosen to reject/ignore God's love and ways, producing "sin", for which the 'just wages are death.'

Without "Justice", there can be no grace, thus, 'Justice' must be satisfied. Mankind, however, cannot satisfy the 'just wages of sin' with His own sin/debt-filled life. (That would be like trying to pay an invoice/debt from one party with an invoice/debt from another!). Therefore, ouly a perfect, non-sin/debt-filled life could satisfy the 'death wages of sin.' Only Jesus Christ was ever able to live such a perfect, non-sin/debt-filled life; thus, only Christ could 'give his own life' to satisfy justice with the 'death wages of sin.'

God credits the perfect, sinless life (and death) of Jesus Christ as satisfaction of 'sins death wage' of all who will repent/turn-away from their own sin and 'receive' Christ's payment on their behalf. To all who claim that promise, God gives Spiritual rebirth by His own Holy Spirit and adopts them into His family as eternal sons and daughters of an eternal God. Christ's resurrection from death affirms our own eventual resurrection to eternal life.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Is this what you share with unbelievers as the gospel/ good news of Jesus Christ?
Here is what God thinks of your approach of all love no law message to the unbeliever
This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Reform your ways and your actions, and I will let you live in this place.

Do not trust in deceptive words and say, “This is the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord!”

If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly,
if you do not oppress the alien, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm,
then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your forefathers for ever and ever.

But look, you are trusting in deceptive words that are worthless.

“ ‘Will you steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury, burn incense to Baal and follow other gods you have not known, and then come and stand before me in this house, which bears my Name, and say, “We are safe”—safe to do all these detestable things?

Has this house, which bears my Name, become a den of robbers to you? But I have been watching! declares the Lord.
Fact is the true messenger repeats what God says: "Repent of your evilness, change your attitude, change your ways and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm,
then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your forefathers for ever and ever. "

God says those who do not speak this message "are trusting in deceptive words that are worthless."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity