Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,465,176 times

Advertisements

God doesn't change, but God's dealing with people on earth obviously changes (several times). The question is: what in the Bible is directly applicable (i.e. valid) to us today and why? Most recognize that we are no longer bound by Mosaic Law, but that there are certainly teachings still valid and binding for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,354,023 times

The Old Testament is a three part book.

It contains God's Law, the prophets and history.
Many times that history is horrific, but it is given
to us as examples of consequences of sin [sin is
the transgression of God's Law.]

One of the main problems with Christians today is their
disinterest in reading and understanding the Old Testament.

In the New Testament the Old Testament is called "Holy Scripture"

" Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of,
knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known
the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith
which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable
for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the
man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. "

2 Timothy 3:12-17

Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,277,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
God doesn't change, but God's dealing with people on earth obviously changes (several times). The question is: what in the Bible is directly applicable (i.e. valid) to us today and why? Most recognize that we are no longer bound by Mosaic Law, but that there are certainly teachings still valid and binding for us.
Good point. But which teachings? If you are a Christian, you are certainly not bound to abstain from pork or shellfish. Women are not required to take a ritual bath after menstruation, nor do they have to cover their heads during worship. And the list goes on and on.

Did God actually implement 600-odd rules of Leviticus in the first place? And if he did, what made him sit up around 30 AD and say, "Why, those aren't necessary at all?" What during the intervening time that Leviticus and Matthew, Mark, John and Luke were written? How much of the Mosaic Code for example was God's command and how much was the interpretation of a nomadic bunch of herdsmen? After all, I don't known of any faith that argues with the Decalogue. Then again, "Thou shalt not wiggle your weenie up another man's posterior" is not among them.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,396,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
What about hermaphrodites? What about females born with Congenital adrenal hyperplasia?

What did Jesus say about them?

Jaymax,

I have a cousin who is intersexed which is now the updated word for hermaphrodite.
She was born with a very interesting biological makeup including male genitalia and partial fallopian tube development.

This is the trump card that shuts the mouths of the typical evangelical/Pentecostal " Christian " because their programming simply does not allow them to wrap their minds around the fact that there are people walking the earth that are truly biologically in the middle.

Their is no explanation for them to use to quote their faulty position thus this being the trump card.

Their quotes of either you were born male or female do not apply in these cases.

God gave my cousin the choice to be who she is.
She chose. Not God, not society but her.

I doubt very highly you will receive an answer from anyone on that side of the argument based on what I've stated.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

The Old Testament is a three part book.

It contains God's Law, the prophets and history.
Many times that history is horrific, but it is given
to us as examples of consequences of sin [sin is
the transgression of God's Law.]

One of the main problems with Christians today is their
disinterest in reading and understanding the Old Testament.

In the New Testament the Old Testament is called "Holy Scripture"

" Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of,
knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known
the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith
which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable
for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the
man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
"

2 Timothy 3:12-17

Most excellent. So let me ask you....

Have you enjoyed pork lately? Or shell fish such as shrimp or lobster?

Take a look at what you're wearing. Do your pants or jacket consist of two different kinds of fabric sewn together?

Does your pastor wear a hat inside of church?

And those are just three of them. Because if you subscribe to Paul's epistle in a literal way, then just these three examples alone show that you are doing things displeasing in God's sight.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,354,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Most excellent. So let me ask you....

Have you enjoyed pork lately? Or shell fish such as shrimp or lobster?

Take a look at what you're wearing. Do your pants or jacket consist of two different kinds of fabric sewn together?

Does your pastor wear a hat inside of church?

And those are just three of them. Because if you subscribe to Paul's epistle in a literal way, then just these three examples alone show that you are doing things displeasing in God's sight.

Actually, I don't eat pork or shellfish.

God, who created every creature, knows best which are good for food and which are not.

The righteous love and follow God's Law... but only one man has been able to keep God's Law perfectly = Jesus Christ.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Actually, I don't eat pork or shellfish.

God, who created every creature, knows best which are good for food and which are not.

The righteous love and follow God's Law... but only one man has been able to keep God's Law perfectly = Jesus Christ.

Nice bit of jujitsu, but you didn't answer my question. How many of the laws in Levitcus do you even concern yourself with following?

What's more, if God knows which food is best and which is not, then why did he ban it in one place, and why did Christ say it really didn't matter somewhere else? Did Christ say, "What my father said a few hundred years ago? Forget all that. He really didn't mean it." I mean, Christ said in Mark, "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." Yet Leviticus imposes strict penalties for working on the Sabbath. Which is it? Because you can't obey one pronouncement without essentially ignoring the other.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 PM

37,551 posts, read 61,629,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
What about hermaphrodites? What about females born with Congenital adrenal hyperplasia?

What did Jesus say about them?
I do not think that Jesus said anything addressing them.

There are different sorts of categories of people who are not fertile, not entirely male, not entirely female. So?

Can't we love everyone?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 PM

37,551 posts, read 61,629,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Jaymax,

I have a cousin who is intersexed which is now the updated word for hermaphrodite.
She was born with a very interesting biological makeup including male genitalia and partial fallopian tube development.

This is the trump card that shuts the mouths of the typical evangelical/Pentecostal " Christian " because their programming simply does not allow them to wrap their minds around the fact that there are people walking the earth that are truly biologically in the middle.

Their is no explanation for them to use to quote their faulty position thus this being the trump card.

Their quotes of either you were born male or female do not apply in these cases.

God gave my cousin the choice to be who she is.
She chose. Not God, not society but her.

I doubt very highly you will receive an answer from anyone on that side of the argument based on what I've stated.
That seems fairly close minded of you.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,850,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I would have to see the verses, and far be it for me to tell you what to believe here. But I'd at least perceive a possibility that one "being dead in their trespasses" and one remaining engaged in sin are the same thing *shrugs*

But I'm by no means an expert on how the Bible should be interpreted.
Yes, that was more or less my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity