Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Then what is the multi-quote button for?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Then what is the multi-quote button for?..
Same thing. I guess I should've thought to tell you that way would be best, considering how many people you wanna talk to!

Back on topic, however:

What, really, explains why "Christian" churches will perform a wedding for someone who was previously married with no questions asked, yet they will not perform a wedding for homosexuals? Gay marriage, while understandably associated with a sin worded out in the bible (homosexuality) is not technically a sin. Remarriage, however, is a sin. Jesus himself forbade it in many cases.

Why do "Christian" churches choose one to oppose and not the other, if the bible is their standard?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Same thing. I guess I should've thought to tell you that way would be best, considering how many people you wanna talk to!

Back on topic, however:

What, really, explains why "Christian" churches will perform a wedding for someone who was previously married with no questions asked, yet they will not perform a wedding for homosexuals? Gay marriage, while understandably associated with a sin worded out in the bible (homosexuality) is not technically a sin. Remarriage, however, is a sin. Jesus himself forbade it in many cases.

Why do "Christian" churches choose one to oppose and not the other, if the bible is their standard?
I oppose both...Read Leviticus 18:22...

Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 AM

I already know the modern-day bible says homosexuality is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I oppose both...
So you would like to see those who remarry without establishing it isn't a sin beforehand not be able to get married until? Not be able to adopt? What rights would you take away from psychics, those who do general work on the Sabbath, and people who promote other religions?

Even if I believe that you oppose them all with exactly the same fervency, you must admit the vast majority of "Christians" out there are not doing this. Since the bible condemns so many other things to the same extent as it does homosexuality, what other explanation can there be than prejudice for picking which group of "sinners" to antagonize more?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I already know the modern-day bible says homosexuality is wrong.

So you would like to see those who remarry without establishing it isn't a sin beforehand not be able to get married until? Not be able to adopt? What rights would you take away from psychics, those who do general work on the Sabbath, and people who promote other religions?

Even if I believe that you oppose them all with exactly the same fervency, you must admit the vast majority of "Christians" out there are not doing this. Since the bible condemns so many other things to the same extent as it does homosexuality, what other explanation can there be than prejudice for picking which group of "sinners" to antagonize more?
Whatever HaShem opposes, I will oppose...

Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM

I wish every Christian thought that way; all the people calling it "hatred of gays" would have no case.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I wish every Christian thought that way; all the people calling it "hatred of gays" would have no case.
I concur...

The Torah, many refer to as The Law, is actually better translated as Guidence or Instruction...In what?, one may ask...To lead a full, peaceful and long life being blessed of HaShem, it is said to follow the Guidence (Torah) of HaShem...It is not a burden that He cares enough for His people to give them a guide-book...It is love and concern that He has provided theis Guidence...Yeshua said that, 'until the heavens and earth shall pass away, not one jot or tittle of the Law shall pass away until all has been fullfilled (completed, finished)'...

Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Do not get me wrong here...I was for most of my walk of the thought that the Law was put away, except for certain things...This is what I was taught...However, after years of study and research I have come to the conclusion, biblically, that none of it has passed away, as per Yeshua's own words...The heavens and the earth have not passed away...Yet...So, I am working toward the goal of incorporation of the Guidence into my daily life and am happier for it...

Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Quote:

Back on topic, however:

Every Christian will be convicted to their own sin or to certain issue. I have not wrestle or done much research on the issue of remarriage, but the Bible is clear that remarriage is ok if the spouse has deceased. I am aware of the Scripture that remarriage is not allowed while the spouse is still alive. I do not agree that remarriage is okay--but the difficulty for me is the Holy Spirit and making the judgment call (Scripture says the churches are to exercise spiritual discpline). This is where the scripture comes in.

As for Gay marriage, I do not agree with it. I have done some study but not so intensely on the subject. For me, the struggle of understanding homosexuality, homosexuals, same-sex attraction, and where does God soverignty comes in. I'm not talking about the definition, but the identity that we accept and find ourselves in (whether it is race, gender, sexual orientation, etc). I am convicted that God made marriage (although in this fallen world) to paint a picture of Christ and the Church (Groom and Bride), that we will be one again (as Scripture says they shall be one flesh). Divorce is not okay because it paints a picture of Christ and the Church divorcing. I understand why people look at Christians and say "So you speak of this Jesus yet your marriage say otherwise". I believe this is the true picture of marriage and what marriage is. Sin, whether it is homosexuality, lying, remarriage, divorce, is an heart issue. YES, it is. The Good news is Jesus' blood can redeem all of us.

Last edited by ho hey!; 08-25-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
Every Christian will be convicted to their own sin or to certain issue. I have not wrestle or done much research on the issue of remarriage, but the Bible is clear that remarriage is ok if the spouse has deceased. I am aware of the Scripture that remarriage is not allowed while the spouse is still alive. I do not agree that remarriage is okay--but the difficulty for me is the Holy Spirit and making the judgment call (Scripture says the churches are to exercise spiritual discpline). This is where the scripture comes in.

As for Gay marriage, I do not agree with it. I have done some study but not so intensely on the subject. For me, the struggle of understanding homosexuality, homosexuals, same-sex attraction, and where does God soverignty comes in. I'm not talking about the definition, but the identity that we accept and find ourselves in (whether it is race, gender, sexual orientation, etc). I am convicted that God made marriage (although in this fallen world) to paint a picture of Christ and the Church (Groom and Bride), that we will be one again (as Scripture says they shall be one flesh). Divorce is not okay because it paints a picture of Christ and the Church divorcing. I understand why people look at Christians and say "So you speak of this Jesus yet your marriage say otherwise". I believe this is the true picture of marriage and what marriage is. Sin, whether it is homosexuality, lying, remarriage, divorce, is an heart issue. YES, it is. The Good news is Jesus' blood can redeem all of us.
Sounds fair enough. I don't believe, based on what I've seen from "Christians" on the subject of gay marriage, that you are representative of most "Christians". I see a blatant prejudice exhibited by those who would claim the bible is their sole motivator for the things they do and the things they oppose. Such claims have not been confirmed by their actions, at all.

But on the subject of gay marriage and divorce, here is some study material for your consideration:

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

Also, on gay adoption:

Here is evidence that being raised by gay parents is not harmful to children in any way:

APA Policy Statement: Sexual Orientation, Parents, & Children
Studies of same-sex parenting

And here is evidence that children of same-sex couples may even fare better, generally speaking:

A child's life in a "gay" household
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity