Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
There are actually 2 different traditions for numbering the commandments within the Christian religion.

Catholics and Lutherans follow a different tradition than other Christians do.
I did not know that. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I did not know that. Interesting.
I wasn't aware of it either till recently. If I understand correctly (but don't "write it in stone" )

What is the 1st commandment to the RC\Lutheran is seperated into the 1st and 2nd by the balance by most other Protestant churchs

and what is the 9th and 10th to the RC\Lutheran is combined into the 10th by most other Protestant churchs

Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,818 times
Hebrew counting:
1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
5 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
6 “You shall not murder.
7 “You shall not commit adultery.
8 “You shall not steal.
9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
So what did Jesus respond when he was accused by the teachers of the law of breaking the Sabbath. He said in effect, "I am the Lord of the Sabbath". IN that you have your answer for all the debate on the subject. Jesus fullfilled the entire ceremonial law and in effect ended it completely. Just as we don't sacrifice bulls and lambs to God we do not observe the Sabbath. It really would not matter if we met for Christian worship on any day of the week. To call Sunday "the Sabbath" is wrong anyway. The Sabbath of the Law was NEVER the first day of the week in any case.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 AM

951 posts, read 1,053,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Romans 9:30-33[ Israel’s Unbelief ]
What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it.

Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works.
They stumbled over the “stumbling stone.”
As it is written:
“See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall,
and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” Isaiah 8:14; 28:16

2 Corinthians 5:7
We live by faith,

Galatians 2:16
know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

Paul writes in Hebrews 11 that the entire history of believers are those who are "by faith", not by observance of any law. Those who are Abraham's true decendents will be the "Isreal" that comes by faith, not by observing the law. Galations 3:14
Actually, the 7th Day Sabbath was created the following day after man was created on the sixth day.

Jesus Christ who created all things under the direction of God the Father actually created the Sabbath Day by not working but instead resting on that day as we read in Genesis 2.

And the father of the faithful, Abraham, kept God's Commandments, statutes and laws (Gen 26:5) which means they were in existence before Mount Sinai.

We see that Abraham tithed to Melchisedec.

We see that Joseph refused to commit adultery with Potiphar's wife because he would be committing a great sin against God.

And the Sabbath was made holy at the time of creation, so Melchisidec taught the Commandments, statutes and laws which included the commandment to keep God's 7th Day Sabbath holy to Abraham and his descendants (until they lost track of the actual 7th Day Sabbath during the period of Egyptian slavery and was reestablished in Exodus 16 just before Mount Sinai) until the Levitical priesthood was established.

So, Abraham kept God's 7th Day Sabbath holy by implication since he also tithed to Melchisedec and God stated specifically that Abraham kept His Commandments:

Genesis 26:5
"Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."

And the high priest that Abraham submitted to was Melchisedec.

Now, Jesus Christ is that same High Priest of the order of Melchisedec. He was the one whose voice Abraham actually obeyed. He has now in the New Testament Church replaced the Levitical priesthood and thus still teaches the same Commandments that He taught to Abraham the father of the faithful.

He is also Lord of the Sabbath as He plainly stated since He is the one who actually created the Sabbath by direction of God the Father on the seventh day of Creation by resting on that day.

So, remember that the Melchisedec priesthood actually preceded the Levitical priesthood and does not permit the kind of Baal worship that false Christianity has foisted on all their unsuspecting followers by putting Christ's name on ancient pagan festivals and actually defying God by trying to make another day of the week holy instead of the one that Jesus Christ Himself created and set apart as holy under the direction of God the Father on the 7th day of Creation -- God's Seventh Day Sabbath.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Actually, the 7th Day Sabbath was created the following day after man was created on the sixth day.

Jesus Christ who created all things under the direction of God the Father actually created the Sabbath Day by not working but instead resting on that day as we read in Genesis 2.

And the father of the faithful, Abraham, kept God's Commandments, statutes and laws (Gen 26:5) which means they were in existence before Mount Sinai.

We see that Joseph refused to commit adultery with Potiphar's wife because he would be committing a great sin against God.

And the Sabbath was made holy at the time of creation, so Melchisidec taught the Commandments, statutes and laws which included the commandment to keep God's 7th Day Sabbath holy to Abraham and his descendants (until they lost track of the actual 7th Day Sabbath during the period of Egyptian slavery and was reestablished in Exodus 16 just before Mount Sinai) until the Levitical priesthood was established.

So, Abraham kept God's 7th Day Sabbath holy by implication since he also tithed to Melchisedec and God stated specifically that Abraham kept His Commandments:

"Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."

Now, Jesus Christ is that same High Priest of the order of Melchisedec. He was the one whose voice Abraham actually obeyed. He has now in the New Testament Church replaced the Levitical priesthood and thus still teaches the same Commandments that He taught to Abraham the father of the faithful.

He is also Lord of the Sabbath as He plainly stated since He is the one who actually created the Sabbath by direction of God the Father on the seventh day of Creation by resting on that day.

So, remember that the Melchisedec priesthood actually preceded the Levitical priesthood and does not permit the kind of Baal worship that false Christianity has foisted on all their unsuspecting followers by putting Christ's name on ancient pagan festivals and actually defying God by trying to make another day of the week holy instead of the one that Jesus Christ Himself created and set apart as holy under the direction of God the Father on the 7th day of Creation -- God's Seventh Day Sabbath.
I love your posts...truth...God Bless you so much.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:38 AM

951 posts, read 1,053,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I love your posts...truth...God Bless you so much.
Thank you again for your kind words. I am much more used to having someone try to take my head off or try to drag Mr. Armstrong through the gutter on public forums. Your words will be remembered and their words will be forgotten....

I guess it is getting that time of the year and you probably know what I mean and work must be done before it comes, so I guess I will have to leave off posting to forums that require intense discussion for now. So carry on standing up for the Truth if you do have the time. Thanks again for your kind words....

Last edited by tthttf; 08-07-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
Thank you again for your kind words. I am much more used to having someone try to take my head off or try to drag Mr. Armstrong through the gutter on public forums. Your words will be remembered and their words will be forgotten....

I guess it is getting that time of the year and you probably know what I mean and work must be done before it comes, so I guess I will have to leave off posting to forums that require intense discussion for now. So carry on standing up for the Truth if you do have the time. Thanks again for your kind words....
I will miss you my brother...you are in my prayers...always.

God Bless you.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,144,346 times
Quote:

----------------------

The problem is much of how you come out on most of your posts.....its always Judge and condemn and a obsession with wrath and destruction, have you noticed its only 1 person that always agrees with you on your posts, and it doesnt make it truth because you two agree with one another. As for the whole commandments, Christ specifically said to believe in him, love God and love one another. Everytime you see the word commandments, it doesnt always refer to the 10, since most of the time when Christ says keep my commandments, it is repeated over and over to love one another.

And as far as Mr. Armstrong, alot of the times you make up him to almost the Messiah with how agree with almost everything he said and spread his opinions like the gospel and many people have proved he is full of errors, so its not about people trying to take your head off. If you want to come out throwing condemnation and telling folks, there not saved unless they do the Saturday sabbath, you need alot more scripture to prove your point other than commandments and sabbath all the time.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:

Where in the history of Abraham is it stated that Hashem gave him any Laws or stautes?...And how does anyone know that these Laws and Statutes were similar to the Ten?...It states in the Scriptures that HaShabbat shall be a Staute forever for the people of HaShem...Why would the early church observe HaShabbat and then all of a sudden change it to Sunday?...Why would the early church be viewed by the pagan writers of history as barely different than Judaism, even going as far as to cal it a sect within Judaism as was the Pharasee, Sadduccee, Essene, Zealot, if it looked very different from Judaism?...Does one mean to tell me that, while the Apostles were stil alive going around and establishing churches, that they didn't stop and say, "Whoa, Whoa, this is not the way Yeshua meant the church to be, it is supposed to be way different than Judaism."...Why would Yeshua state that not one jot or title of the Law shall pass away:

Mat 5:17 Do not think that I came to annul the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to annul, but to fulfill.
Mat 5:18 Truly I say to you, Until the heaven and the earth pass away, in no way shall one iota or one point pass away from the Law until all comes to pass.(Hmmm, all what?...HaShem's plan for mankind?....)
Mat 5:19 Therefore, whoever relaxes one of these commandments, THE LEAST, and shall teach men so, he shall be called (This does not mean that he is IN heaven or going to be...) least in the kingdom of Heaven. But whoever does and teaches them, this one shall be called great in the kingdom of Heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say to you, If your righteousness shall not exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter into the kingdom of God, never!

So, what do we think the "righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees" is?...What is the difference between what they did and what is expected from us?...To discover this we must look at ALL the the statements that Yeshua had made to and about the scribes and Pharisees....What did He say, how did He say it and why did He say it?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity