Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:30 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times

Advertisements

Why? That's all I really have to ask. Why?

I don't eat at Chick-fil-a. It's not Biblical - they serve bacon, cheese, and chicken together and are open on Shabbat. But I'm not going to try to make it illegal for them, or any other business, to conduct business in a way that is not moral according to my religious traditions. It's their right. I likely will not financially support their endeavors, but it's their right to live their lives in a way that makes sense in their religious and cultural traditions.

So why is it so essential that Christians sponsor organizations that seek to keep gay marriage illegal? No one who supports gay marriage is saying that Chick-fil-a should be outlawed. Even Mayor Menino isn't outright banning them -he is letting public opinion do the work for him (and, I should note, Boston is one of the most Catholic cities in the country. There are many, many, many Christians who support the right for gays to marry while they might not personally support it, much like divorce is legal while many do not believe in it for themselves).

Those who support institutionalized anti-gay legislation in this country are overwhelmingly Christian. So why?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:40 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nice try but sleazy and dishonest tactic. Anyone can go back and read my post again and see that this is not QUITE what I said. I said that I never heard of Chick-Fil-A before the controversy arose. Now that I have and I know that he is against same-sex marriage, even pulling out the tired old snarky "Adam and Steve" line, yes, I do think he's unkind. He says hurtful things about nice people I know who don't deserve to have hurtful things said about them.
Have YOU ever said anything that could be considered unkind? What you said and joked about regarding this man is unkind. So, you're under the belief that one unkind move deserves another? You also said that Mr. Cathy said hurtful things "about nice people I know..." He spoke about your friends? Do you believe all gay people are "nice people?" I'm just pointing out your very broad generalization with a propagandic tone. Mr. Cathy was speaking on homosexuality as a lifestyle, not specific individuals. You have opinions on other lifestyles and beliefs don't you? Aren't those you don't like or agree with "nice people" who don't deserve your unkind words about them? My point is: We all have things we're against. It's natural.

Also, where have you received your information about him? Likely from a very biased news source. I say biased because all news is biased one way or the other. Did you take the time to seek his side and get the full story? Did you go to his website and get his statement, in his words... in full (and not just a soundbite)? I don't know that he's done that but I would imagine that he has.

Quote:
I also think he has the right to say whatever he wants to say and run his business the way he wants to run his business.
I agree. Everyone does.

Quote:
And I don't think mayors and other politicians should be telling a privately-owned company to "stay out" of their cities. The free market will tell whether a business will be successful or not.
I agree with where your heart is on this one. Every one and every business deserves a fair shot. As long as it's judged on their business practices. For example, I agree with the cities and towns that fight to keep WalMart out because WalMart is known for their discriminatory and unfair work practices.

Quote:
Is this in any way unclear?
Only in a broad, sweeping generalization kind of way that I mentioned above.

Quote:
I also find it amusing that a man who doesn't like gay people is named "Cathy", but that's just my sick sense of humor.
Is that really a sense of humor or a form of bullying? What if that were said about you or one of the "nice people you know"? How many men with traditionally female names (and women with traditionally male names) have you just offended and laughed at? How is this not the same as bullying? This is what I was talking about in my other post when I said people don't consider THEIR opinions bullying or hypocritical.

THESE are the points I'm trying to make. Gay marriage WILL become the norm. It WILL be allowed. The Bible is clear on this on these times. That's not to say that bible believing Christians won't still stand up for their biblical beliefs. But, I'm pointing out the road of hypocrisy that's being justified for these things to come to pass.

P.S. Chik Fil A really does make great chicken. And their sweet tea is the best I've ever had. The only Chik Fil A where I live is at the airport but you can't eat there without a boarding pass.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM

481 posts, read 865,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Have YOU ever said anything that could be considered unkind? What you said and joked about regarding this man is unkind. So, you're under the belief that one unkind move deserves another? You also said that Mr. Cathy said hurtful things "about nice people I know..." He spoke about your friends? Do you believe all gay people are "nice people?" I'm just pointing out your very broad generalization with a propagandic tone. Mr. Cathy was speaking on homosexuality as a lifestyle, not specific individuals. You have opinions on other lifestyles and beliefs don't you? Aren't those you don't like or agree with "nice people" who don't deserve your unkind words about them? My point is: We all have things we're against. It's natural.

Also, where have you received your information about him? Likely from a very biased news source. I say biased because all news is biased one way or the other. Did you take the time to seek his side and get the full story? Did you go to his website and get his statement, in his words... in full (and not just a soundbite)? I don't know that he's done that but I would imagine that he has.

I agree. Everyone does.

I agree with where your heart is on this one. Every one and every business deserves a fair shot. As long as it's judged on their business practices. For example, I agree with the cities and towns that fight to keep WalMart out because WalMart is known for their discriminatory and unfair work practices.

Is that really a sense of humor or a form of bullying? What if that were said about you or one of the "nice people you know"? How many men with traditionally female names (and women with traditionally male names) have you just offended and laughed at? How is this not the same as bullying? This is what I was talking about in my other post when I said people don't consider THEIR opinions bullying or hypocritical.

THESE are the points I'm trying to make. Gay marriage WILL become the norm. It WILL be allowed. The Bible is clear on this on these times. That's not to say that bible believing Christians won't still stand up for their biblical beliefs. But, I'm pointing out the road of hypocrisy that's being justified for these things to come to pass.
All very plain and very simply put....Here Here! Especially the bolded just above, as this is the TRUTH, LIKE it or NOT point blank. This is society (humanity) as it is and will be until the appointed time comes to pass. This was foretold many many years ago, and is still coming to pass. I mourn and grieve in prayer for all whom do not believe this truth, and the ones whom continue to walk and live in that foolishness. It is what it is just as Jesus so called it...."FOOLISHNESS".

Quote:
P.S. Chik Fil A really does make great chicken. And their sweet tea is the best I've ever had. The only Chik Fil A where I live is at the airport but you can't eat there without a boarding pass.
Personally, I do not eat there, though I have at times, but I am a Popeye's Chicken & Boston Market person by all means, though good ole home cooking is always the very best....hahaha

....Shalom Aleichem! (Peace be with you!)

Old 07-29-2012, 03:42 PM

909 posts, read 1,063,398 times
Default Chick-Fil-A takes perception dive with fast food eaters

From a source founded by a conservative...

Chick-Fil-A takes perception dive with fast food eaters

Chick-Fil-A's perception with fast food eaters nationwide has taken a significant hit in most regions of the US, including the South where most of its restaurants are located, since president and COO Dan Cathy's perceived anti-gay remarks on July 16th. As the controversy has snowballed, the company's overall consumer brand health with fast food eaters has dropped to its lowest levels since at least mid-August 2010.

-------------------------------------------------------
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-29-2012 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: signature lines not allowed

Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
From a source founded by a conservative...

Chick-Fil-A takes perception dive with fast food eaters

Chick-Fil-A's perception with fast food eaters nationwide has taken a significant hit in most regions of the US, including the South where most of its restaurants are located, since president and COO Dan Cathy's perceived anti-gay remarks on July 16th. As the controversy has snowballed, the company's overall consumer brand health with fast food eaters has dropped to its lowest levels since at least mid-August 2010.

-------------------------------------------------------

Moderator cut: orphaned
Well, this may be true, but I do not see any real significant difference by no means with the Chick-fil-A's here locally, and I live here in the deep south for over 40 years. To me, it looks like business as normal, but maybe minus a few though. Just saying for them here in my part of the deep south.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-29-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 05:28 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:

I agree. Everyone does.

Look, you are going way off into tangents in your first paragraph and getting a little ridiculous with your questions. Of course I don't believe all gay people are "nice people". Neither are all straight people. Where on earth you are going with that I have no idea. And Mr. Cathy said what he said.

But cut to the chase because we simply will not agree about this: I don't think homosexuality is a "lifestyle". I am not even sure of what you mean by that, because I know different gay people with different lifestyles. I know a gay man who loves country line dancing and 1960s cars and is restoring a house in the Catskills because he loves the country. I know a lesbian couple who are college professors who live in the city and like to collect African art. I know another gay man who travels all over the world to exotic locales on his vacation. And so forth, but you get the picture. These people's lifestyles are nothing alike.

What I really suspect is that "lifestyle" is a euphemism for the sexual practices you imagine these people are having. Of course if one is not gay, homosexual sex might very well skeeve you (unless you're a straight male thinking about lesbian sex, then you'll be turned on. That's why, in the middle ages, gay men were burned at the stake for their homosexuality while gay women were burned at the stake for witchcraft--they "enchanted" those poor straight men with the thought of their sexual relations.) But male-female sex skeeves THEM in the same way. They are just not wired to be attracted to the opposite sex. Every gay person I've ever had the conversation with has said, without fail, that they knew as a child they were attracted to their own sex. Some tried to deny it and tried to live a straight life and found that they were living a lie. I've known several women who discovered they were married to gay men. It was hurtful, and it was unfair for them to be put in that position in the first place because a man was afraid to reveal his true self to his family and community.

A coworker of mine with whom I had this conversation--he was once married to a woman who also worked where we did--said he married a woman because back 30 years ago when he first dated men, he saw that it was such a sad, secret life, so he tried to make himself live as a heterosexual. There was no chance to make true, lasting relationships that could be out in the open, only furtive encounters in bars and other out-of-the-way places. Of course, those types of encounters still do go on, just as purely sexual practices happen between heterosexuals that way. But many gay people DO want the long-term relationship. They want to live openly with the person they love and they want to make sure that person whom they love is cared for by their insurance and has the right to make medical decisions for them and all the things that m/f couples can do when they love each other. I truly have no problem with that. A monogamous gay couple is therefore a very different "lifestyle" than, say, my former governor picking up anonymous men for quickies in the Vince Lombardi rest stop on the NJ Turnpike.

I would much rather see people, gay or straight, find someone if they can, someone to truly love and spend their lives with rather than think they are so worthless that they must hide under the rocks and in the dark corners of society. There are enough people in those places already. Let's not drive more there just because we can't get our minds off of what other people do with each other sexually.

And for the record, I'm a straight Christian female in my fifties, long divorced, (and celibate way longer than I ever wanted to be!) And yes, as a matter of fact I DO say unkind things about people all the time. Not something I particularly like about myself, but I also don't say them to the press, and I make a hugely serious and conscious effort not to put a group of people into a category of "them" and then assign an all-encompassing set of characteristics to "them".

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-29-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why? That's all I really have to ask. Why?

I don't eat at Chick-fil-a. It's not Biblical - they serve bacon, cheese, and chicken together and are open on Shabbat. But I'm not going to try to make it illegal for them, or any other business, to conduct business in a way that is not moral according to my religious traditions. It's their right. I likely will not financially support their endeavors, but it's their right to live their lives in a way that makes sense in their religious and cultural traditions.

So why is it so essential that Christians sponsor organizations that seek to keep gay marriage illegal? No one who supports gay marriage is saying that Chick-fil-a should be outlawed. Even Mayor Menino isn't outright banning them -he is letting public opinion do the work for him (and, I should note, Boston is one of the most Catholic cities in the country. There are many, many, many Christians who support the right for gays to marry while they might not personally support it, much like divorce is legal while many do not believe in it for themselves).

Those who support institutionalized anti-gay legislation in this country are overwhelmingly Christian. So why?
You make a good point. I have never heard of any business person taking a STAND on DIVORCE. I wonder why? People always cherry pick the sins they are not personally engaged in to magnify. It's called finger pointing which is frowned on in the scriptures.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michael View Post
Who is judging now per say? Just saying....hahaha . You may want to consider what you say, how you say it, and where it truly comes from before you say it or write it. (and i do not defend anyone here, just expressing the love of God our Father)

That doesn't exactly qualify as "judging", unless of course you were refering to my self-judgment for my sense of humor being sick.

I do consider what I say before I write it, and I'd guess much more carefully than most people on this forum! At least I take care to spell correctly. I cannot help it if others don't share my sense of humor, but that's a risk one has to take.

Peace be with you also. I see your Hebrew is better than your Latin, hehehe. Oops, judging again! Just can't help myself.

Well, I took communion this morning, so I guess this post can start the list of things for which I must be contrite before next week's Eucharist. (That was meant to be humorous as well. Are we catching on yet)

Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
You make a good point. I have never heard of any business person taking a STAND on DIVORCE. I wonder why? People always cherry pick the sins they are not personally engaged in to magnify. It's called finger pointing which is frowned on in the scriptures.
Very true I must say. Personally, I feel the same with divorce and adultery as I do with homosexuality. I do not hate the person nor will I judge them by no means, I just do not condone these immoral & unclean activities. I will not bring up divorce or adultery in this topic, as it would be off-topic, thus why I do not mention it but this once and then leave it rest per say....hahaha.

Anyways, this is all been prophesied and has come to pass and will still come to pass until the appointed time has arrived. The world is dieing (no thanks to man) and there is absolutely nothing that can be done, as death has already been testified & prophesied to come, and it is, if we like it or not. The great thing is, that new LIFE will begin again when the old has come to pass.....

Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
It makes me wonder what has happened in this country. Ever wonder why all the "Gay rights" propaganda is being spit out at the public? How many people in this country are really that passionate about promoting this concept? A large minority for sure. But we hear about just about every day on the news now.

I think the answer is to create division among the populace. Instead of focusing on the poker-faced jokers behind the political pulpit actively selling this country out from underneath it, they have successfully got us to focus on each other.

It is the Hegelian Dialectic and these folks have done this perfectly for decades now. If we focus on each other, we do not focus on them.

There are some fundamental issues going on with this country such as our Sovereignty,( thus constitutional rights) but these folks want us to focus on something else than the manipulation going on with special interests and politics.

Every single citizen should support re-establishing independent media outlets that focus on exposing these folks as opposed to supporting them. Media is suppose to be about checks and balances for the public giving them the "power of the people". It's real easy. Turn off the TV and financially support independent media (plenty of folks out of work that could do it.)

Forming not informing opinion.. and people pay them so they can tell them what to believe. We are entering an era where the people are afraid of their government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.