Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times

Advertisements

I believe the fundamental issue is that religion has involved itself in marriage. Its sexual discrimination, plain and simple. Atheist can get a marriage license, so clearly religion has nothing to do with it. People who hate each other can get a marriage license, so it's not about love. People who are infertile can get a marriage license, so it's not about child rearing. Marriage ( the justice-stamped agreement, not the religious institution.. don't confuse the two), exists purely to afford extra services and benefits to people who claim a lifelong commitment to each other in a court of law. It's a legal contract. That contract should not be limited to any particular gender anymore than any other. If two men and two women can start a business together or buy a car together, why should a contract that allows them to share benefits or share insurance to be any different? Once you strip away the distracting and unrelated questions of sexual practices and religious beliefs, leaving only the civic and legal agreement that is a marriage license, you quickly realize that there is no sensible argument against allowing the same sex marriages. Discriminate as you please with religious ceremonies and recognition, but marriage in the legal sense must either treat men and women equally, or be abolished entirely.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM

91 posts, read 132,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I love Chick FIla and that its owner has the guts to stand up for what he believes. What is wrong with support of traditional marriages, he never said any hate speech against the gay community or anything. Not everything that one wants to do or believe must be approved and forced upon people that they must agree as well now adays.
I agree with their right to express their opinion, and I totally support their opinion.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM

91 posts, read 132,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Ain't America wonderful..
We have the right/freedom to speak our minds..
But how amazing that some people still don't know that

I could care less what the owners believe or say about gay marriage, religion or politics. It is their opinion and last I checked we are all entitled to an opinion or two.

As long as they abide by the laws of the land and keep on making good chicken sandwiches, and don't hand me a religious tract with my receipt, I have no reason to boycott or in any other way trash their business.
By saying that you "Could care less " means that you care alot. Think about it.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,387 times
My wife and I went there for lunch today - the drive-thru was extremely long (basically wrapped around the building twice). Still delicious though.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:52 AM

271 posts, read 532,467 times
I'm very supportive of gay rights, always have been, always will be.

That said, I support Chick-Fil-A's right to express an opinion and operate their business as they see fit. I'd even eat a sandwich today to support free speech if there was one around me. When I travel later this month to a town with a Chick-Fil-A, I'll give it a shot.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Chick-fil-A is the "canary in the coal mine."

First homo-loving antichrists attack Chick-fil-A...
next it will be Bible-believing churches that still
preach homosexuality is a sin. Next, it will be
individual Christians.

Antichrists will have to ban the Bible too, because
it mandates the death penalty for homosexuals
[Leviticus 20:13.]

In the Old Testament, God allowed Babylon and Edom
to destroy Jerusalem and the temple because Israel
sinned and allowed sodomites in the temple.

I'm really hoping that you DON'T consider yourself a Christian. If you do then you have a lot of catching up to do on the concept of New Testament Grace vs Old Testament Law.

I'm a very committed Christian myself and I find the so called, "Christian Right" in the USA to be almost the polar opposite of what Jesus Christ commands His people to be.

Jesus Himself said, "I did not come into the world to condemn the world but to SAVE the world.
He had very harsh words of condemnation however for the religous leaders of the day that attempted to control and rule over the people by the invocation of what they wrongly believed to be, The will and law of God. These right wing bigots in your country are no better in any respect than the Taliban. They both have the same Theocratic ideas and plans.

Christians should think for a minute who the real source of condemnation in this world is. Satan's name means "Accuser" and that is what he does in this world.

What is it about these so called Christians that they have no understanding of what "The kingdom of God" is by any definition. They spend so much time, effort and resources messing around with truely secular matters that I doubt they have the time or the inclination to attend to their spiritual needs.

I'm thinking they must believe that people are saved and made right with God by their deeds. Otherwise known as the gospel of works. For example, do they believe that a gay couple is in a worse spiritual condition than any other couple who does not know the Lord and is therefore unsaved?

Another point that makes me crazy is the way they cherrypick their particular, "Sin de Jour" to make fools of themselves over. The world is full of a multitude of sins and the bible tells us they are all damning in the sight of a Holy God.

For how long was the sin of the day in American Christian circles "The evil drink"? A long time to be sure and they even managed to have it banned. Now that was one big riproaring success wasn't it? They will never learn one of the primary teachings of the Old Testament and something that Jesus reiterates over and over again. "PEOPLE WILL NOT STOP SINNING NO MATTER WHAT THE LAW IS."

That brings me to the end of this rant although I could go on for a thousand pages explaining why these people are completely, totally and absolutely wrong from a Christian viewpoint. So I was going to end with what Jesus tells us Christians to do in regards to those who do not know Him.

Firstly and most importantly we are commanded to Preach the Gospel. The very simple plan of God. No additions or subtractions. No politics or secular matters just God's plan as he laid it out in a very clear and simple way.

Secondly we are commanded to LOVE everyone regardless of who they are or what they have done. This of course is impossible to do perfectly but we are to attain towards it as best we can.

We are to feed the hungry, visit the sick and those in prison, clothe the poor and take special care for widows and orphans.

Every single dollar this organization spends trying to shove their ideas down people's throats could have been spent doing what Christ Himself tells us we are to do. What a colossal waste of the resources that have been given to them.

One last thing, All of the behaviours that are taught in the bible are for believers. We are to be examples to the world by OUR lives. Now that is something these folks should thinkabout. How are YOU professing Christian being an example of salt and light to the world like your Lord commanded you to be?????

Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Chick-fil-A is the "canary in the coal mine."

First homo-loving antichrists attack Chick-fil-A...
next it will be Bible-believing churches that still
preach homosexuality is a sin. Next, it will be
individual Christians.

Antichrists will have to ban the Bible too, because
it mandates the death penalty for homosexuals
[Leviticus 20:13.]

In the Old Testament, God allowed Babylon and Edom
to destroy Jerusalem and the temple because Israel
sinned and allowed sodomites in the temple.

So, under Comrade O'bummer's rule, it is now a crime against the State to be a Baptist that considers same sex marrage a sin against God. The owner of 'Chick Fil A' is not fit to have a francise in Chicago, the home and bedrock of the mafia and thugs, his ilk is not suitable for Chicago'.
Seems a lot of people disagree with this creepy mayor in Chicago: MASSIVE LINES at Chick-fil-A on “National Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day” (Updated) | The Gateway Pundit

Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Even if I liked the food, I would no longer buy it. Like millions of open minded Christians in this country, I believe strongly that every American should be treated equally. Therefore, because I do not want my money given to bigoted organizations, I will eat elsewhere. It's Mr. Cathy's right to be a bigot. It's my right to eat elsewhere. I love this country. Problem solved.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,648 times

WOW... I was at a Chick-fil-A in a Dallas suburb around 3PM and the line was so long, it was blocking traffic.

The local radio news [KRLD] said at lunchtime Chick-fil-A stores in Dallas had lines up to four blocks long and
police were directing traffic !!

Ted Cruz, who just won the GOP nomination for Texas Senator, served Chick-fil-A at his victory party last night.

Terrific! TX Conservative Ted Cruz Serves Chick-fil-A at Victory Party | The Gateway Pundit

Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I believe the fundamental issue is that religion has involved itself in marriage. Its sexual discrimination, plain and simple. Atheist can get a marriage license, so clearly religion has nothing to do with it. People who hate each other can get a marriage license, so it's not about love. People who are infertile can get a marriage license, so it's not about child rearing. Marriage ( the justice-stamped agreement, not the religious institution.. don't confuse the two), exists purely to afford extra services and benefits to people who claim a lifelong commitment to each other in a court of law. It's a legal contract. That contract should not be limited to any particular gender anymore than any other. If two men and two women can start a business together or buy a car together, why should a contract that allows them to share benefits or share insurance to be any different? Once you strip away the distracting and unrelated questions of sexual practices and religious beliefs, leaving only the civic and legal agreement that is a marriage license, you quickly realize that there is no sensible argument against allowing the same sex marriages. Discriminate as you please with religious ceremonies and recognition, but marriage in the legal sense must either treat men and women equally, or be abolished entirely.
Legal marriage depends on the state your are in. Some have changed their laws to allow gays to marry and some have not.

From a LEGAL standpoint - which is what you are focusing on - you move to a state that has it or you change the laws - or in California's case you cheat and overturn the vote of the people.

But what I made bold in your post is absolutely false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity