Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 AM

173 posts, read 135,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just a comment on the passage...

Paul said he was thankful he did not baptize. He said he was not sent to baptize. He did NOT say baptism was not necessary for salvation.

So the requirement to be baptized remains - it's just not Paul's duty. So whose duty is it? It's spelled out in each gospel.

Matt. 3:11 - "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Mark 1:8 - "I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

Luke 3:16 - John answered and said to them all, "As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

John 1:33 - "I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, `He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.'

If water was to be included, he would have said so.

Paul's job is to preach the gospel. When people hear and believe, Jesus, from heaven, baptizes the new believer with the Spirit. No water is necessary. Our role in the "baptism" portion of the Great Commission is to get unbelievers to believe the gospel so that Jesus can baptize them with the Holy Spirit - which is the seal of our salvation.

Ephesians 1:13-14 - In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.
Well your mixing teachings that were to Israel under the law with teachings to the Church under Grace. You need to rightly divide God's word God's way so you are not mixing things up like this. It's not hard but you do have to really study some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK4J View Post
Well your mixing teachings that were to Israel under the law with teachings to the Church under Grace. You need to rightly divide God's word God's way so you are not mixing things up like this. It's not hard but you do have to really study some.

Care to explain?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATDIVIDE46 View Post
Absolutely! I never said that John's baptism and Jesus' baptism are not separate and distinct. What this verse says to me is that John baptized with water only, but Jesus will baptize with the Holy Spirit and water. It makes John's baptism separate and distinct from Jesus' baptism, but it does not make Jesus' baptism one without water.
I didn't read the red portions in Acts 1. You are reading a different Bible.

How is Jesus baptizing anyone with water from Heaven?

And if He meant to use water - He would have said so. It makes no sense that He would state water for John and neglect to say water for Himself.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:

"Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." Ephesians 5:25-27

"And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." 1 Corinthians 6:11

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATDIVIDE46 View Post
Why would he? Only people today, who for whatever reason want water baptism left out of the gospel, would require that Paul state baptism is with water everytime he mentions it. It's like me saying I'm going to take a bath and having to specify that its gonna be in water each time I say that. People understand that a bath takes place in water unless its otherwise specified. Same thing with baptism. People in Paul's day understood that baptism always took place in water unless specified otherwise.
Jesus did specify - He said He baptizes with the Holy Spirit. Why do you not accept this?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." Ephesians 5:25-27

"And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." 1 Corinthians 6:11
Washed with what?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Washed with what?
"Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word"

... with water through the word"

Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word"

... with water and the word"
That's still incomplete.

It's living water that flows within us. This is a reference to the Holy Spirit.

John 4:10-15
10 Jesus answered and said to her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, `Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." 11 She said to Him, "Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water? 12 "You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?" 13 Jesus answered and said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."

John 7:38-39
37 Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. 38 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, `From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.' " 39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

This is not me saying this - this is the One responsible for our salvation.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
That's still incomplete.

It's living water that flows within us. This is a reference to the Holy Spirit.

John 4:10-15
10 Jesus answered and said to her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, `Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." 11 She said to Him, "Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water? 12 "You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?" 13 Jesus answered and said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."

John 7:38-39
37 Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. 38 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, `From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.' " 39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

This is not me saying this - this is the One responsible for our salvation.
Nor is this me saying it also Ephesians 5:25-27, 1 Corinthians 6:11.

1 Peter 3:20-22
God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

Noah "were saved through water"... "baptism that now saves you also" .... "It saves you by the ressurection of Jesus Christ".

If the ressurection of Jesus is not complete enough for you, then deny it. But it was sufficient enough for God.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 AM

289 posts, read 290,053 times
Quote:

And if He meant to use water - He would have said so. It makes no sense that He would state water for John and neglect to say water for Himself.
Of course, it doesn't say with water. That would be like me saying I'm going to take a bath with water. I don't have to say "with water" for people to understand that you normally take a bath with water. The same is true of baptism. The addition of the Holy Spirit into baptism doesn't make the water go away.

You really believe that Jesus is not present and participating in our baptism?

As I said about, He didn't have to say "with water" because the people he was talking to knew that baptism was with water and so should we. It makes perfect sense to mention water for John's baptism and not for his own since He is showing the difference between John's baptism and His -- the Holy Spirit is in His baptism but only water is in John's baptism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity