Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,771,846 times

Advertisements

It's rather amazing that people would do whatever possible to alter their reality. YHWH was as clear as it gets that the swine was intended as a scavenger and NOT intended as food. If you get worms or other diseases from it you have it coming because you are just an disobedient one. The instructions are all laid out very nicely for us, but it is our CHOICES that get us into trouble every time. Nothing new there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,080,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
It's rather amazing that people would do whatever possible to alter their reality. YHWH was as clear as it gets that the swine was intended as a scavenger and NOT intended as food. If you get worms or other diseases from it you have it coming because you are just an disobedient one. The instructions are all laid out very nicely for us, but it is our CHOICES that get us into trouble every time. Nothing new there.
Let us not forget the snake handlers congregation that take literally the Scriptures regarding snake bites...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
You are so right!
If HaShem was giving Peter a dual meaning vision then it would have been alluded to by Peter, which only the Gentile meaning was alluded to by him...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,462,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
If HaShem was giving Peter a dual meaning vision then it would have been alluded to by Peter, which only the Gentile meaning was alluded to by him...
It was alluded to (Acts 11:2-10). In fact, the whole thing was so incredibly obvious that only your stubbornness demands the need for more explicit statements.

Of course Peter then focuses on the inclusion of Gentile believers for the rest of his story - that is a much bigger deal, after all. Did you expect him to explicity repeat what was made clear in his story? Heck, he probably did later, but that wasn't included in this section of Acts 11 because it would be unnecessary, redundant, and not the main point here.

And I'm going to post this again just in case you missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 1965
I feel sorry for you...
Because I'd rather concentrate on the commandments of God as spelled out in the NT teachings than be weighed down by unnecessary observance to an obsolete Mosaic Law?

Feel sorry all you want.

I will embrace my Christian liberty and spend my time trying to better love God, love my neighbor, live by the Spirit, and fellowship and grow in Christian community. You can spend your time worrying about which aisle you shop in at the grocery store.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,153,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post

While you are correct that they are scavengers and not really meant for food, alot of people go over board with the whole no pork and even wont eat a butter biscuit, gummi bears, some frozen veggies, and many other products because gelatin was used in them and that has pork in it. If there were refrigerators in the days of Moses and pigs were more corn fed like they are now, im sure pork would not be as big a big deal as it was. As for shellfish they are not exactly healthy either.

While its no longer a sin to eat those items, not not exactly the best for the human body if eaten constantly. But at the same time, under cooked chicken and beef can make one very sick as well too.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
While you are correct that they are scavengers and not really meant for food, alot of people go over board with the whole no pork and even wont eat a butter biscuit, gummi bears, some frozen veggies, and many other products because gelatin was used in them and that has pork in it. If there were refrigerators in the days of Moses and pigs were more corn fed like they are now, im sure pork would not be as big a big deal as it was. As for shellfish they are not exactly healthy either.

While its no longer a sin to eat those items, not not exactly the best for the human body if eaten constantly. But at the same time, under cooked chicken and beef can make one very sick as well too.
Where in the Torah does it state that eating an unclean animal is considered sin?...

Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
It was alluded to (Acts 11:2-10). In fact, the whole thing was so incredibly obvious that only your stubbornness demands the need for more explicit statements.

Of course Peter then focuses on the inclusion of Gentile believers for the rest of his story - that is a much bigger deal, after all. Did you expect him to explicity repeat what was made clear in his story? Heck, he probably did later, but that wasn't included in this section of Acts 11 because it would be unnecessary, redundant, and not the main point here.

And I'm going to post this again just in case you missed it:

Because I'd rather concentrate on the commandments of God as spelled out in the NT teachings than be weighed down by unnecessary observance to an obsolete Mosaic Law?

Feel sorry all you want.

I will embrace my Christian liberty and spend my time trying to better love God, love my neighbor, live by the Spirit, and fellowship and grow in Christian community. You can spend your time worrying about which aisle you shop in at the grocery store.
I wonder what else you read into the Scriptures that aren't actually there?...

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Where in the Torah does it state that eating an unclean animal is considered sin?...

It was Torah, if you broke any of those 613 commands back then it was a sin. Sin is transgression of the law and that was the law back then before Christ died and rose.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
It was Torah, if you broke any of those 613 commands back then it was a sin. Sin is transgression of the law and that was the law back then before Christ died and rose.
You might want to read the Dietary Laws in the Torah...No one was stoned for it...They were just unclean for a proscribed period of time...No condemnation...

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You might want to read the Dietary Laws in the Torah...No one was stoned for it...They were just unclean for a proscribed period of time...No condemnation...

True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity